Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New car time

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-18, 08:27 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Did you actually drive the E63? I have driven the previous gen, and it was absolutely dreadful. Very boring, with muffled exhaust and soft suspension. This car is completely out of character for what it is supposed to be, doesn't even start to hold a candle to the M5.
No, just watched the YouTubes. I have never actually driven a car with more than 500 HP, and that particular one was truly boring. Even my wife said so (2008 Alpina B7). But we all know it's not about power or torque, it's about the drive. That's why the M2 is pretty hard to criticize, it suits its purpose--driving.
Old 05-10-18, 04:57 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Nice upgrade, congrats!
Old 05-10-18, 11:05 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Oh jeez! Are most Bimmer guys going to jump on the Supra too, you think? Im hoping for minimal competition to keep markup down!
I think more bimmer guys will be picking up the Supra more than JDM guys. That's just my opinion and guess though.

Because if the Supra stays the same as its rumored to be, its going to be more BMW than it is Toyota. A lot of purist, Japanese tuners and etc... will likely stay away from a BMW-powered Supra. On top of having a Supra-owner friend who is quite annoyed that the next gen Supra is powered by a BMW engine, I have seen on forums quite a bit of people are annoyed by the BMW-powered Supra as well. While I'm not annoyed by it, I'm disappointed Toyota didn't produce their own engine or use an improved TTV6 from the Lexus LS.

But back to the subject: nice pick up!
If I wasn't such a Toyota-fan boy and if I didn't live in the Bay Area, I would get one. Too much hills in The City by the Bay for a manual and I'm too cheap to pay for the DCT.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get it for OTD?
Old 05-11-18, 03:30 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
I think more bimmer guys will be picking up the Supra more than JDM guys. That's just my opinion and guess though.

Because if the Supra stays the same as its rumored to be, its going to be more BMW than it is Toyota. A lot of purist, Japanese tuners and etc... will likely stay away from a BMW-powered Supra. On top of having a Supra-owner friend who is quite annoyed that the next gen Supra is powered by a BMW engine, I have seen on forums quite a bit of people are annoyed by the BMW-powered Supra as well. While I'm not annoyed by it, I'm disappointed Toyota didn't produce their own engine or use an improved TTV6 from the Lexus LS.

If I wasn't such a Toyota-fan boy and if I didn't live in the Bay Area, I would get one. Too much hills in The City by the Bay for a manual and I'm too cheap to pay for the DCT.
I don't really care if the new Supra is powered by a BMW engine or a Toyota engine - as long as it looks and drives the part. I do however hope that it comes with BMW's i-drive infotainment system, because if it comes with the garbage that Toyota or worse yet Lexus currently use it is a total deal breaker for me.
Old 05-11-18, 05:27 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus

What's in all this for Toyota, an inline 6 that's already been tried/true? A BMW powered Supra is not appealing imho, because the major selling point on Toyota is reliability, without it, it's a different ball game. But then again how many people would know or care? It's $0/$0/$0/$0 for 36 mos. that would likely sell such a car.
Old 05-11-18, 12:52 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I don't really care if the new Supra is powered by a BMW engine or a Toyota engine - as long as it looks and drives the part. I do however hope that it comes with BMW's i-drive infotainment system, because if it comes with the garbage that Toyota or worse yet Lexus currently use it is a total deal breaker for me.
But that's the thing, a Toyota with a BMW Engine, BMW Tranny, and BMW infotainment system will make it more BMW than Toyota. While that's all great and I do love the BMW iDrive, tranny and TT Engines, I think it kind of spits on the Supra name. Supra has always been this cheap "mid-tier" reliable performance car. It won't be with all these BMW parts.

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
What's in all this for Toyota, an inline 6 that's already been tried/true? A BMW powered Supra is not appealing imho, because the major selling point on Toyota is reliability, without it, it's a different ball game. But then again how many people would know or care? It's $0/$0/$0/$0 for 36 mos. that would likely sell such a car.
I agree. A BMW-powered Supra is not appealing. I think the Supra is also getting the BMW transmission too. Not sure about the interior design/infotainment system though. The new Supra is starting to feel more like a rebadged BMW Z4 more than its actually a Toyota. The major selling point of the old Supra was a cheap "mid-tier" sports cars that's reliable. Its hard to imagine tuners buying this car because it'll cost way too much to modify and maintain. Can you imagine how much it'll cost to run a 1000HP BMW-powered Toyota Supra? Can you imagine how often that might actually break down? I'm sure the BMW-powered Supra will be a great car stock but I think it won't be that popular in the tuner scene.

The thing is - I think a good chunk of people will care. Unless Toyota is targeting a new demographic, a demographic of people that don't know and the demographic of people that don't care.

I think Toyota should have used a more powerful version of the TTV6 from the Lexus LS on their Toyota Supra.

Last edited by BippuLexus; 05-11-18 at 12:59 PM.