Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rolls Royce Cullinan SUV revealed .....

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-18, 05:52 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sry, I meant the rolls royce
Old 10-10-18, 06:07 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

The rolls is growing on me. I think it looks better than the Bentley too
Old 10-11-18, 06:59 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Ease, isolation, and more than a bit of strong willed styling

Source
The Cullinan... When the River Thames overflows its banks and starts to lap at the gates of Windsor Castle or the Houses of Parliament at Westminster, the Cullinan can still get through.
Old 02-20-19, 02:59 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Rolls-Royce is churning out Cullinans as fast as it can

British marque running at 100 percent capacity to fill orders for $325,000 SUV

When Rolls-Royce first floated the idea of an SUV model in 2013, industry observers accepted it with a sigh of inevitability while brand purists flinched and promptly spilled Grey Poupon on their tuxedos. The Anglo-Germanic luxury automaker's SUV experiment doesn't seem so heretical today, helped in no small part by the fact that Bentley sneaked into the SUV party first and was joined around the same time by Maserati, Lamborghini and Alfa Romeo. Aston Martin will follow in just a couple of years, and from the looks of it, Ferrari will too.

In fact, the Cullinan has proved to be so popular that Rolls-Royce, which officially shunned the term SUV shortly until the Cullinan's debut, can barely keep up with the demand, Automotive News reports.

The marque's state of the art Goodwood, U.K., factory is running at 100 percent capacity while the order bank is full through July 2019 -- Goodwood has even hired 200 employees to keep up, Automotive News says. And that's for an SUV that starts at $325,000 and whose option book can "fit" the price equivalent of several other SUVs -- the one we drove back in October was optioned up to $380,000 and most will be about $450,000 out the door. That's $125,000 in options.

Half of Cullinan buyers are new to the brand, Martin Fritsches, CEO of Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Americas told Automotive News.

"I would like to have a little bit more supply," Fritsches added. "And I don't get it because we are running on 100 percent of production capacity, increasing the production capacity throughout the weeks and months, but still not being able to catch up to demand."

Is this a temporary rush for a model that has just launched a few months ago, or a longer-term trend for all luxury brands?

Rolls-Royce fully expected the Cullinan to become the brand's best-selling model, a mantle held by the Dawn convertible until the Cullinan's debut. This means the company knew it would have a hit on its hands long before the first example rolled out of the gates at Goodwood, back when the economy was a little less receptive to $450,000 SUVs. Now, in 2019, the question may very well be: Can Rolls-Royce keep up with the demand?

But the marque is still shy about becoming a bigger automaker; Rolls-Royce sold 4,107 vehicles globally in 2018 and is not in a rush to double the output of any given model in a quest for profit. Just about all cars are made to order, with the exception of some demo models that the company keeps around, but the fact that each car is bespoke and takes several months to complete means that Rolls-Royce cannot rush through orders or churn out Cullinans made to some sort of basic trim level.

The automaker has said on a number of occasions that it is not chasing volume -- doing so would diminish the exclusivity of its cars -- but a volume model like the Cullinan, which Rolls-Royce did not even want to call an SUV until the day of its debut, may make the marque a little more relatable if not more affordable. In effect, the Cullinan will do for Rolls-Royce what the 2003-generation Continental GT did for Bentley: Serve as the brand's calling card through sheer presence, even if that presence will be in front of posh hotels and restaurants. This means that, in time, the Phantom will take a backseat role, pun intended.
Source
Old 08-06-22, 08:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

blown away by the design, features, and quality shown in this pov drive.

Old 08-06-22, 08:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
blown away by the design, features, and quality shown in this pov drive.

https://youtu.be/SEx1GY0b0zg
‘Is it like other Rolls Royce models in that it is handcrafted?
Old 08-06-22, 08:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
‘Is it like other Rolls Royce models in that it is handcrafted?
no idea, but you'll appreciate its v12
Old 08-07-22, 03:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

no idea, but you'll appreciate its v12
Apparently ever Rolls Royce is handcrafted. Yes, the V12 is truly majestic. I wonder if the purists agree as they use a BMW engine (I think)
Old 08-07-22, 06:34 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99

Who is this Ferrari smiling at?
Old 08-07-22, 11:23 PM
Lead Lap

Received 785 Likes on 532 Posts

Old 08-08-22, 05:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Apparently ever Rolls Royce is handcrafted. Yes, the V12 is truly majestic. I wonder if the purists agree as they use a BMW engine (I think)
it doesn't sound 'majestic' to me in the video at all when he's accelerating. sounds quite noisy and not in a great way.
Old 08-08-22, 10:48 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

We had one at a local cars and coffee last week. I thought it looked fantastic in person.

Old 08-08-22, 11:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

it doesn't sound 'majestic' to me in the video at all when he's accelerating. sounds quite noisy and not in a great way.
I thought the same thing when I watched the video, I was surprised at the engine sound. I wonder if it was just his microphone or what...
Old 08-08-22, 12:21 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I've only sat in a Cullinan but have plenty of seat time in the Phantom and Ghost (not mine!). The engine noise is quite muted so I'd be surprised if the Cullinan is much louder. I too was surprised by the noise in that video but he may have been in a mode which allowed for fake engine noise to be piped into the cabin at a louder volume than normal. There's no way that's authentic engine noise.
Old 08-08-22, 12:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I've only sat in a Cullinan but have plenty of seat time in the Phantom and Ghost (not mine!). The engine noise is quite muted so I'd be surprised if the Cullinan is much louder. I too was surprised by the noise in that video but he may have been in a mode which allowed for fake engine noise to be piped into the cabin at a louder volume than normal. There's no way that's authentic engine noise.
It could totally be the way the microphone picked up the frequency of the sound and in person it wouldn't sound like that.

Quick Reply: Rolls Royce Cullinan SUV revealed .....