Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

keyless cars killing people

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-18 | 09:39 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

um, only killing stupid people that aren't smart enough or aware enough (because of various distractions) to turn off their vehicles. I believe this is known as culling the herd, killing off the weakest and dumbest members to protect the rest.

cars have been around for over 100 years, keyless or keys they all require you to turn them off when you park and exit. It is not the fault of the car, the tech, or the manufacture, it is the fault of clueless distracted people.

No different to me than someone who isn't savvy enough to realize that if their vehicle starts to accelerate on it's own, they can mash the brakes, pop it into neutral and turn it off (key or keyless) and coast to a safe stop, as I have been in that situation on the highway with a vehicle where in the throttle return mechanism failed and the pedal broke off causing the Truck to accelerate, it was a no brainer to mash the brakes, shift to neutral, and turn off the truck. yeah I blocked traffic, but my truck didn't "run away" and kill anyone or me.
Old 05-14-18 | 10:31 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mjeds
um, only killing stupid people that aren't smart enough or aware enough (because of various distractions) to turn off their vehicles. I believe this is known as culling the herd, killing off the weakest and dumbest members to protect the rest.

cars have been around for over 100 years, keyless or keys they all require you to turn them off when you park and exit. It is not the fault of the car, the tech, or the manufacture, it is the fault of clueless distracted people.

No different to me than someone who isn't savvy enough to realize that if their vehicle starts to accelerate on it's own, they can mash the brakes, pop it into neutral and turn it off (key or keyless) and coast to a safe stop, as I have been in that situation on the highway with a vehicle where in the throttle return mechanism failed and the pedal broke off causing the Truck to accelerate, it was a no brainer to mash the brakes, shift to neutral, and turn off the truck. yeah I blocked traffic, but my truck didn't "run away" and kill anyone or me.
Thank you!

You have just insulted my wife, her sisters, my parents, and half of the population of North America who still drive cars with keyed ignitions and are not aware of keyless ignitions.

You are aware of keyed and keyless ignition systems because you are an automotive enthusiast. This new technology may now be intuitive to you but it is far from being intuitive to most of the car-buying public who expect to get in the car, TURN THE KEY, slide the gearshift into gear and drive off.

Think back to the Toyota and Lexus unintended acceleration scare of 2010 and 2011. It was so obvious to us, who are automotive enthusiasts, that if a car continued to accelerate even after lifting off the accelerator and the brakes do not seem to work to full effect, to shift to neutral and continue full braking. But that was not intuitively obvious even to an off-duty CHP officer, who lost control of the ES he was driving when the accelerator stuck, killing himself and all occupants in that car.

What about the number of members of CL who would rather try to cheat or even disable automatic idle-stop systems because they cannot get used to a car automatically stopping at a stoplight and automatically restarting when the driver lets off the brake and back on the accelerator? Would you call these people stupid and dumb?

There is a reason why some new technology is known as disruptive technology -- it disrupts our expectations and our lives. Some people find it easy to adapt to new technology but many others do not.

Please do not insult those people who are not like you and find it difficult to adapt to new technology.
Old 05-14-18 | 02:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Old 05-14-18 | 02:55 PM
edwardh11
Driver

I think some of the tech changes on cars are either solutions looking for problems, or frills that increase selling price and drive up maintenance costs things that dealers like cause it spells MORE INCOME.
and
losing a car key should not cost you hundreds of dollars. if so maybe the car maker should give you 3 keys with a new car.
(I have not lost any keys or had any cars stolen)

Last edited by edwardh11; 05-14-18 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-14-18 | 03:06 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I've read a few times that the pushbutton ignition lasts longer. The keyed ignition cylinder can wear out over time. I've had to replace those before and they are a pain.

When my sisters and I were in our teen years I always remember our dad complaining that we were using too many keychains, which hang on the ignition and causes extra wear. I guess my kids won't have that issue when they begin driving!
Old 05-14-18 | 03:35 PM
signdetres
Racer

Ignorance kills people. If you’re going to be behind the wheel of any vehicle, which weighs multiple tons, you better be aware of how all of the vehicle functions work. Sadly, most people cannot be bothered to.

Let’s not forget that obtaining a drivers license and operating a motor vehicle is a privilege, not a right. How would you feel if a pilot didn’t know how half of the aircrafts functions operated?
Old 05-14-18 | 03:52 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by signdetres
Ignorance kills people. If you’re going to be behind the wheel of any vehicle, which weighs multiple tons, you better be aware of how all of the vehicle functions work. Sadly, most people cannot be bothered to.
this is like that survey that showed people didnt know what the TPMS tire low light was on meant
Old 05-14-18 | 04:16 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Maybe that was the issue prior to start/stop annoyance. Right now whenever I pull in and shift to park damn thing shuts off right away. And if you have magnetic key instead of convenience key you will end up pulling that thing until you break it before you figure out you need to manually shut if off in order to get the key out.
Old 05-14-18 | 04:32 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Doesn't this apply to all of us now and then??
Old 05-14-18 | 04:59 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sulu
Thank you!

You have just insulted my wife, her sisters, my parents, and half of the population of North America who still drive cars with keyed ignitions and are not aware of keyless ignitions.

You are aware of keyed and keyless ignition systems because you are an automotive enthusiast. This new technology may now be intuitive to you but it is far from being intuitive to most of the car-buying public who expect to get in the car, TURN THE KEY, slide the gearshift into gear and drive off.

Think back to the Toyota and Lexus unintended acceleration scare of 2010 and 2011. It was so obvious to us, who are automotive enthusiasts, that if a car continued to accelerate even after lifting off the accelerator and the brakes do not seem to work to full effect, to shift to neutral and continue full braking. But that was not intuitively obvious even to an off-duty CHP officer, who lost control of the ES he was driving when the accelerator stuck, killing himself and all occupants in that car.

What about the number of members of CL who would rather try to cheat or even disable automatic idle-stop systems because they cannot get used to a car automatically stopping at a stoplight and automatically restarting when the driver lets off the brake and back on the accelerator? Would you call these people stupid and dumb?

There is a reason why some new technology is known as disruptive technology -- it disrupts our expectations and our lives. Some people find it easy to adapt to new technology but many others do not.

Please do not insult those people who are not like you and find it difficult to adapt to new technology.
are you, your sisters, wife, parents all aware that you have to turn off your car when you park it?

how does having a keyless ignition change that process? it doesn't. . I stand by my statement, if you are too stupid to know how your car works take a flipping bus.. I don't give a rats behind how "non-technical" you are, if you purchase a machine like a car READ THE MANUAL, learn how your vehicle works, and have some semblance of common sense, to whit turning off a vehicle when you park it IS COMMON SENSE, regardless of the mechanism of key that is used.

as for unintended acceleration, same deal; LEARN HOW THE MACHINE WORKS, especially in EMERGENCY SITUATIONS.. There is ZERO excuse for anyone not knowing, don't care if it is a CHP officer or an Indy car driver, LEARN HOW TO OPERATE YOUR VEHICLE or don't own one.

my wife is the most non-technical person I know, she flat out hates technology, still uses a damn cassette tape Walkman and refuses to use her iPhone to stream music, she can't operate a GPS to save herself and uses a Thomas Guide, hell she won't even watch TV in the family room unless myself or my daughter are around because the smart TV intimidates her, so she pulls out a 20 year old portable when she is home alone, but she has owned 2 keyless Camry's since 2007 and has enough sense to know she has to turn it off and lock it when she parks it, and enough awareness to know how to control her vehicle if it ever has a runaway situation, not because she is 'technical'; because she has common sense and knows how the basics of a how car works and doesn't panic or lose her head in a crisis.

Last edited by mjeds; 05-14-18 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-14-18 | 05:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu

That was a very odd situation, and IMO remains somewhat of a mystery even today. State Troopers are taught (or are supposed to be taught) how to handle emergency high-speed situations on the road....it's part of their training for high-speed pursuits. One would think that almost any cop (and many of them, of course, actually investigate vehicle-accidents) would pop the tranny in neutral at the first sign of a truly stuck throttle, where nothing else worked. Perhaps this particular trooper was especially scared because he had his family in the car, and simply got a brain-freeze. Unfortunately, it can happen to even the best of us.
Old 05-14-18 | 11:06 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

If one cannot tell their car is still running when getting out of it, then I have no sympathy for them whatsoever. The noise of the motor, the tachometer still risen, gauge lights still on, and an entire vehicle still vibrating while one gets out of it? No way... no excuses. Defending that is unreasonable. If one's senses are that diminished, he/she is a road hazard to others and should not have a license. I personally do not want to be sharing the road or parking lot with someone who can't even tell their motor is on. And keyless ignitions have been out for over a dozen years now. Can't use the excuse it's new tech that people aren't used to. Responsibility needs to start with oneself.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 05-15-18 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-15-18 | 05:26 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I will say this, though, Friday I drove my 335i to work. Having a single car garage, I had to move the LS430 afterwards. I couldn't even hear the LS430 motor, it was as if the car weren't running, when it was. The Maxima also has this effect, when driving the BMW all day, and switching. The 335i may be smooth at 5,000 rpm plus, but at idle, you don't forget it's running. So I could see not being aware that a Japanese car's motor is running. At the same time, there should be logic. I just got home from somewhere, it would be logical to turn the vehicle off, even if it is smooth and silent.
Old 05-15-18 | 07:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I had to move the LS430 afterwards. I couldn't even hear the LS430 motor, it was as if the car weren't running, when it was.
You'll learn to watch your tach LOL

(Just kidding)
Old 05-15-18 | 09:22 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
If one cannot tell their car is still running when getting out of it, then I have no sympathy for them whatsoever. The noise of the motor, the tachometer still risen, gauge lights still on, and an entire vehicle still vibrating while one gets out of it? No way... no excuses. Defending that is unreasonable. If one's sense are that diminished, he/she is a road hazard to others and should not have a license. I personally do not want to be sharing the road or parking lot with someone who can't even tell their motor is on. And keyless ignitions have been out for over a dozen years now. Can't use the excuse it's new tech that people aren't used to. Responsibility needs to start with oneself.
agreed, and it isn't just engine noise. radio on? HVAC on and blowing air? did you just roll up your windows, i.e. the power items work. etc., and every keyless I have ever driven from all the companies, Toyota, Lexus, Infinity, Porsche, Bentley, Chrysler, GM, Acura, MBZ, they all beep at you repeatedly when you exit the car with the keys and the vehicle is still running, and most won't allow you to lock the doors. So they are alerting you to an issue, people are just too distracted and don't pay attention to what is going on around them.

people need to get back to personal responsibility, it is not the fault of anyone or any company if you don't possess common sense.

Quick Reply: keyless cars killing people