Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best Luxury/Semi-luxury Sedan for TALL Drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-18, 10:10 AM
DukeSilver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Luxury/Semi-luxury Sedan for TALL Drivers?

Hey everyone. I'm in the market for a slightly used luxury sedan. Looking for under 40,000 miles and under $35,000. A huge pre-requisite for me is cooled/ventilated seats. That's why I (sadly) will not purchase a Honda Accord. I always liked the Accords because I thought they had a ton of room. I am 6'6", 275 pounds. Currently in a full size SUV that I'm tired of lugging around the city with its turn radius and gas mileage. I was looking into Lexus for the long-term reliability, specifically the IS, but I'm worried it will be too small. I test drove an Acura TLX and liked the car, but it was too tight. Any ideas? Thanks! I have trouble finding enough headroom more than legroom.
Old 05-20-18, 10:23 AM
Stormwind
Racer

I would look into audi or vw models as they tend to prioritize interior space versus other brands, you'll find that when comparing similar sized cars with other brands they have a lot more interior space.
Old 05-20-18, 10:41 AM
DukeSilver
Driver School Candidate

Default Reliability

Originally Posted by Stormwind
I would look into audi or vw models as they tend to prioritize interior space versus other brands, you'll find that when comparing similar sized cars with other brands they have a lot more interior space.
Thanks for the reply. I have been seeing a lot of reliability concern when it comes to the German cars-especially used ones. I hope to drive this car for a very long time. Do you think this is a concern? Thanks
Old 05-20-18, 10:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by DukeSilver
I am 6'6", 275 pounds. ... I was looking into Lexus for the long-term reliability, specifically the IS, but I'm worried it will be too small.
LOL an IS? i think you'd be more comfortable in an ES, GS or even better an LS.

and an accord is not a luxury or semi-luxury car.

another choice would be a used hyundai genesis or genesis g80. nice and roomy.

other than those, an avalon might be a good choice.
Old 05-20-18, 11:06 AM
DukeSilver
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
LOL an IS? i think you'd be more comfortable in an ES, GS or even better an LS.

and an accord is not a luxury or semi-luxury car.

another choice would be a used hyundai genesis or genesis g80. nice and roomy.

other than those, an avalon might be a good choice.
Yeah I was willing to make an exception for the Accord because they are just so roomy but the lack of cooled seats is a dealbreaker. How is the reliability on the Genesis? A used one? Thanks.
Old 05-20-18, 11:15 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Did you try the IS? It has 44.8 inches of legroom vs the ES at 42 inches. The issue might be the bolstering on the seats as it can be snug for bigger people.
Old 05-20-18, 11:56 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Q50? Q70? S90? Cts?
Old 05-20-18, 12:22 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

Yeah I was willing to make an exception for the Accord because they are just so roomy but the lack of cooled seats is a dealbreaker. How is the reliability on the Genesis? A used one? Thanks.
Not sure how you can consider an Accord roomy. I can fit without feeling cramped and you're 2" taller than me. My ES fits me perfect with the seat all the way back. I test drove a new G80 a few months ago and it had even more room.
Old 05-20-18, 12:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Welcome to CL.

In terms of build-quality, I agree with Mike728 and bitkahuna...look first at a Genesis G80 or 2Gen Hyundai Genesis (which is the same car mechanically). Excellent build quality inside and out....probably the best hardware of anything in its class. Also comes in an AWD version with the V6 (not the V8) if traction is a priority. The only possible glitch is that the original 10/100 drivetrain warranty will not transfer to a second owner outside of one's immediate family if you are buying used (the 5/60 bumper-to-bumper part remains in force, however). You also may (?) have to do a little traveling to get to a Genesis outlet if you want factory-service, as only certain Hyundai dealerships handle them.
Old 05-20-18, 02:11 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 5'10" 170 lbs and the IS is perfect for me...but will surely not work for you.
Old 05-20-18, 02:31 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Have you tried an Acura RLX??? That's bigger than the TL/TLX. Kind of a boring car though, looks way too similar to an Accord for my tastes.

If you're going German, I'd say stick with a Benz that was made past 2010 or so, they tend to have the least issues from what I've read. I'm sure an E-class of some sort would be in your budget, not sure if the latest body style would be though. Stick with one that has a V6(or 4 cylinder for the newer cars), the V8 ones tend to have more problems as they age.

As for Lexus, look at the GS, its basically just a bigger version of the IS and a better car IMO. Also I might get some flack here, but have you checked out an Infiniti M37/Q70(M37 2013 and prior, Q70 2014 to now)??? Its a pretty big sedan, looks nice, once again its one of those larger sedans that might fit you better that costs about the same used as a much smaller car.
Old 05-20-18, 03:55 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Thanks for the reply. I have been seeing a lot of reliability concern when it comes to the German cars-especially used ones. I hope to drive this car for a very long time. Do you think this is a concern? Thanks
if reliability is your priority then I would suggest vw but audi are pretty good too as long as you stay away from the high end optioned out models.
Old 05-20-18, 05:40 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Based on your budget and mileage, get a 2013+ LS460L (Long wheelbase version). Get a RWD instead of AWD for better power and lower maintenance.
With long wheelbase you can push your seat all the way back and still leave ample room for anyone in the rear seat.
I am guessing that you probably won't have to even push the seat all the way back.
Old 05-20-18, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
if reliability is your priority then I would suggest vw but audi are pretty good too as long as you stay away from the high end optioned out models.
Audi, maybe, but why VW? VW has a long record, in the American market, of unreliability, poor dealer service, and poor customer satisfaction.
Old 05-20-18, 05:59 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm 3" shorter but only a few pounds lighter and have had issues with fitting in cars. The Lexus ES350 loaner I just had fit real well where I could not even get settled in an IS, much less comfortably drive it. The Genesis G80 is quite large inside and a slightly used one should fit your budget. The new Accord is also quite large inside and the Touring model even has ventilated front seats. It lists for about $35,000. I'm currently driving a 2016 RX350 and find it plenty roomy and still fairly small outside. Gas mileage is about 25 mpg overall.

Quick Reply: Best Luxury/Semi-luxury Sedan for TALL Drivers?