Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

new acura infotainment and trackpad (alex on autos review)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-18, 11:52 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Perhaps you should reconsider your word choice. Redundant? Sure, Apple maps sucks. Useless? Nah, Waze still offers better routing, accident warnings, cop warnings, congestion warnings, and arrival times.
We will agree to disagree for Waze because I stated earlier I would rather chance a ticket than stare at ugly graphics on an expensive car.

However - I do still think Apple/Android car play is useless if the given car has a good to decent infotainment system. Apple Car Play - restricted app access and you are forced to use Apple Maps. This makes it useless because a standard navigation is better. Android Car Play - Google maps is good and Waze is usable - however, that doesn't make it better than something on a BMW iDrive or the Audi MMI Virtual Cockpit. Thus, making it useless. Useless as in you won't use it ever or you just touch it once to try it.

I've been out in NJ for 5 years, but lived in So Cal for the bulk of my life. Go drive 75 in front of CHP and see if they'll pull you over. I'd rather save 10-15 minutes on my commute everyday than look at a screen with crisp graphics. To each their own
I have lived in California for 28 years - majority of my life in the Bay Area with some times in LA because my family has property down there. So, in my experience (maybe not yours), I never got pulled over by CHP for going 75 in LA or SF. I went 80 in front CHP in LA with the flow of traffic all doing 80. The problem with LA is - once the grid lock frees up - people will gun it. This will make flow of traffic averaging 80 and CHP will not ticket everyone.

I also average 70-75MPH (once traffic clears) down to MTV Googleplex - never got pulled over.
Old 05-31-18, 01:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

another review of infotainment system

https://www.cars.com/articles/hands-...1420699989615/
Old 05-31-18, 01:15 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

What is wrong with buttons, switches, and *****?

The Acura system is getting decent reviews, much better then that 2 screen system they had owners disliked so much but mouse/track pads are still not superior to good intuitive buttons for operating systems in a moving vehicle. It does look like they at least added a few more hard buttons in the new Acura system over that touch screen system they had, they even had the seat heater function in the touch screen and they were a pain to operate.
Old 05-31-18, 01:28 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 738 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
We will agree to disagree for Waze because I stated earlier I would rather chance a ticket than stare at ugly graphics on an expensive car.

However - I do still think Apple/Android car play is useless if the given car has a good to decent infotainment system. Apple Car Play - restricted app access and you are forced to use Apple Maps. This makes it useless because a standard navigation is better. Android Car Play - Google maps is good and Waze is usable - however, that doesn't make it better than something on a BMW iDrive or the Audi MMI Virtual Cockpit. Thus, making it useless. Useless as in you won't use it ever or you just touch it once to try it.

I have lived in California for 28 years - majority of my life in the Bay Area with some times in LA because my family has property down there. So, in my experience (maybe not yours), I never got pulled over by CHP for going 75 in LA or SF. I went 80 in front CHP in LA with the flow of traffic all doing 80. The problem with LA is - once the grid lock frees up - people will gun it. This will make flow of traffic averaging 80 and CHP will not ticket everyone.

I also average 70-75MPH (once traffic clears) down to MTV Googleplex - never got pulled over.
Prettier != better
Old 05-31-18, 02:16 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Prettier != better
I didn't say prettier = better. I said I would rather look a pretty graphical screen if I bought a car that is well over 50 grand. <--- (My opinion) I feel this way because I think Waze is not that useful within my location or my state. While I do think its pretty cool you can track speed-traps, I also think its pretty paranoid to keep looking at your Waze app navigation screen to avoid cops.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-31-18 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-31-18, 08:32 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 738 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
I didn't say prettier = better. I said I would rather look a pretty graphical screen if I bought a car that is well over 50 grand. <--- (My opinion) I feel this way because I think Waze is not that useful within my location or my state. While I do think its pretty cool you can track speed-traps, I also think its pretty paranoid to keep looking at your Waze app navigation screen to avoid cops.
Obviously have not used waze much. Anyway, this is like talking to a wall, have a good night!

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-31-18 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-31-18, 08:43 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Obviously have not used waze much. Anyway, this is like talking to a wall, have a good night!
As I said before - I used Waze a couple of times. My previous post before this one - I clearly stated I don't find Waze useful given the location I live in so I would rather have better graphics on my screen. The comment before that one - I stated we will agree to disagree.

I clearly stated what I wrote is my opinion, but apparently, my opinion means you're talking to a wall? If I'm honest, you are being really hostile towards me for having a difference of opinion. Nice talking to you.
Old 05-31-18, 08:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

7es posts, videos, comments moved to its own new thread.
Old 05-31-18, 08:51 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Is it just me, or is the system horrendously laggy, especially in the nav interface? In that Alex on Autos review, there were times Alex had to sit and wait for the system to register his input. I hope those bugs are ironed out before release.
Old 05-31-18, 08:54 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yardie876
Is it just me, or is the system horrendously laggy, especially in the nav interface? In that Alex on Autos review, there were times Alex had to sit and wait for the system to register his input. I hope those bugs are ironed out before release.
Its not just you. I watch Redline Reviews for the RDX A-Spec and Advance Pack and the system does seem a bit less responsive at times. Another thing that was mention in Redline review was the lack feedback during clicks with the touchpad. So it could be possible some clicks aren't even registering because some people might they pressed it but actually didn't. Not 100% sure though.
Old 06-01-18, 10:10 AM
kagete
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh darn I posted in the wrong RDX thread. Anyway, here's my take on Android Auto at least.

I'm a permanent convert to Android Auto and I don't see manufacturers catching up easily. Google Maps with live traffic and reroute suggestions plus integration with your mail, calendar, and contacts make for a great combo that no manufacturer can possibly compete with as there likely never will be BMVmail or LexusMail and captive phone ecosystem offerings from car manufacturers.

The most underappreciated aspect of Android Auto is that it has the absolute best voice recognition out of any car or software manufacturer. I have no doubt that they will continue to lead in this field as well for the next 5 to 10 years. Having excellent voice recognition makes for much safer driving and really opens up your options for interaction with your vehicle. You wouldn't need to take your eyes off the road or fiddle with a touchpad or **** too.

Last edited by kagete; 06-01-18 at 10:15 AM.