Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why does an LS460 depreciate so much more than a 4Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-18, 06:43 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
This.

SUV are in high demand and sedans aren't.
But depreciation of luxury sedans has historically been high, even before crossover and sport utility vehicles were so popular.
Old 06-01-18, 09:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I don't think it's that simple. A GS doesn't depreciate nearly 50% off sticker in the same time frame like the LS. And that's a WAY more competitive segment.
It sure does. I traded my GS350 in at 2.5 years old and I got $33k on a car with a $60k sticker.

As others have said, the 4 Runner has one of the highest resale values in the industry, not a fair comparison at all. All big expensive flagship sedans depreciate like rocks, the LS is actually one of the better ones. Compare LS values to S Class values, 3 years used an S Class and an LS are similar in value, yet when new the S Class cost 20-30% more.
Old 06-01-18, 10:19 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think these are 2 very broad statements - I haven't done the research but feel like what you're saying is that "every other truck" depreciates as slowly as a 4Runner won't be true. If I looked at SUV's like the Tahoe/Yukon, Kia Sorento, Nissan Pathfinder, Dodge Durango, Jeep Grand Cherokee - you think I'd see a similar depreciation pace?
Of these, the SUV (Tahoe) has the best residual at around 60% after 3 years. The rest aren't SUVs, they are crossovers, and their residual reflects it... around 50% after 3 years.

For reference, the 4Runner residual is 64%.
Old 06-02-18, 12:37 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It sure does. I traded my GS350 in at 2.5 years old and I got $33k on a car with a $60k sticker.

As others have said, the 4 Runner has one of the highest resale values in the industry, not a fair comparison at all. All big expensive flagship sedans depreciate like rocks, the LS is actually one of the better ones. Compare LS values to S Class values, 3 years used an S Class and an LS are similar in value, yet when new the S Class cost 20-30% more.
Well - MB and BMW resale values are trash. Specifically BMW - once you sign on the dotted line and drive out the BMW dealer, you pretty much instantly lose like 5 grand.
Old 06-02-18, 05:32 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 392 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Agree on your S class statement. However, on your GS- you can't look at trade-in value and use that to calculate the depreciation. You have to look at what the car sells for when it's used (in my case I'm looking at the asking price from a seller on eBay in a "buy it now" auction where they don't negotiate). If they gave you $33k trade - what do you think they ended up asking for the car? $38k? That would be about 35% depreciation, not 50%.
Old 06-02-18, 05:36 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 392 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
Of these, the SUV (Tahoe) has the best residual at around 60% after 3 years. The rest aren't SUVs, they are crossovers, and their residual reflects it... around 50% after 3 years.

For reference, the 4Runner residual is 64%.
Out of curiosity, how are you defining the difference between a cross-over and an SUV? If it's body-on-frame vs. unibody, why would they depreciate differently if the overall size and "utility" (how it can be used) of the vehicles are comparable? In essence, why is an SUV more valuable due to it being body-on-frame?
Old 06-02-18, 06:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Out of curiosity, how are you defining the difference between a cross-over and an SUV? If it's body-on-frame vs. unibody, why would they depreciate differently if the overall size and "utility" (how it can be used) of the vehicles are comparable? In essence, why is an SUV more valuable due to it being body-on-frame?
Last longer maybe.
Old 06-02-18, 06:16 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts

I feel like resale value get killed based on the price new ones actually sold for.

The GS was going for 20-25% off MSRP. LS430/460 was also going for 20-25% off when the new models (460/500) were available at the dealers.

When i see GM advertising 20% off MSRP on National TV (probably sold @ 25%+ off), I know the current owners’ heart must sink.. their resale value dropped 10% overnight.

SUVs like wrangler and 4runners don’t change in design much and add few $$ due to the demand.

Luxury new car buyers want the latest and the greatest for the “snob” appeal. Non-luxury... not as much.

Last edited by joedaddy1; 06-02-18 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-11-18, 12:33 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A simple, one-word answer....demand. SUVs are selling today.....sedans aren't.
Agreed. I was going to choose between the two, I'd definitely opt for the sedan though. I don't really camp, and my snowboarding buddies have rigs to get us to the mountain. So I don't need a 4x4. I'd much rather have a comfortable cruiser for city driving and road trips.
Old 07-11-18, 01:32 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

There is much more demand for a used 4 runner then a LS, they are much more mainstream type vehicles and pretty much worry free. Expensive luxury cars from common brands almost always depreciate pretty heavily because in most cases there is nothing about them to make them hold a lot of their inflated prices, there is no real collect ability with them to keep the price high, older luxury cars don't have anywhere near the cache of a brand new luxury car plus many are scared off by their high upkeep costs, often poor reliability, and rarer parts(Even a LS460 has its issues if you research and some are very expensive to deal with). Mercedes flagship sedans and coupes like a CL series have huge depreciation, you can get a lot of car for the money if you find one but if something goes wrong it can cost a fortune which is why there is no real demand for them, same with old Bentley's and other upmarket vehicles. Exotics hold their value better in many cases and many will even appreciate in value after a while because they are incredibly rare and there is more demand from them from collectors.

For someone like me though I don't care for SUV's and would take a used LS anyday over a used 4 runner or Land cruiser.
Old 07-11-18, 01:56 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

disposable luxury cars always depreciate a ton. Just look at mercedes
Old 07-11-18, 01:57 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
I feel like resale value get killed based on the price new ones actually sold for.

The GS was going for 20-25% off MSRP.

say what?

when was the GS going for such a big discount?
that's nuts. so a GS could be had for high $30k's brand new ?

Back in 2007, I could barely get 12% off.
Old 07-11-18, 06:22 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
disposable luxury cars always depreciate a ton. Just look at mercedes
Even ones that don't come on FWD disposable platforms?
Old 07-11-18, 06:36 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
say what?

when was the GS going for such a big discount?
that's nuts. so a GS could be had for high $30k's brand new ?

Back in 2007, I could barely get 12% off.
I think around 2014 some people were saying they were getting up to 8 grand off GS350's and very good lease deals, I think that stopped for the 2016MMC which is probably one of the reasons sales have tanked on it.
Old 07-12-18, 04:03 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,147 Likes on 742 Posts

Going back to the original post, I hope nobody payed full price for the Lexus. I would not base a premise on the price of two cars. List attached shows the ten fastest depreciating cars after three years. It is dominated by American and German cars. Amazing able to buy a 5 series BMW for 52% off after just three years. The only problem is than you still have to deal with the high maintenance cost and reliability.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/21515/t...-on-the-market

Quick Reply: Why does an LS460 depreciate so much more than a 4Runner?