Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Mazda6 2.5T Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-18, 09:25 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
If they indeed improve the car substantially in terms of driving dynamics and NVH, they missed the mark on the engine dept. Mazda could have built a best in class vehicle, but they will lose out just on the marketing alone. 301hp in the Camry vs 250hp/227hp.
Very true. Marketing wise - they'll lose. Dealers tend to sell you on HP - not torque. And majority of the average consumer just think bigger number = better.

Originally Posted by arentz07
Horsepower isn't everything. I mean the IS 350 has 311 horses but loses the 0-60 fight to the 330i with 248 horses. The 310-lb-ft torque number is massive - it's probably lots of fun to put around town in.
Very true. HP doesn't tell the whole story for a car. But it is the marketing number. Dealers sell you on HP - not torque.

I just want to point out the Lexus IS350 does 0-60 in 5.6 and the 330i does it in 5.5 - there isn't much of a difference there. However - the Lexus IS350 will definitely beat the 330i in high end power and have a better top speed. Overall - I think the BMW 320i and 330i aren't good cars. The Lexus IS300/350 achieve similar/better performance with cheaper price. But - the 340i - now that's a real 3 series. The 340i is one hell of a car.
Old 06-01-18, 10:16 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Yes I am aware of that. I'm saying if you are going to charge around $35k, 250hp from a marketing standpoint is low. This being front wheel drive will have a hard time putting down all that torque in such low RPM's. They should have pumped 310hp from it with lower torque numbers, even if it is just for marketing it will look better than 250hp only if you use premium and only 227hp if you decide to cheap out on fuel. Not exactly glowing marketing material. If Honda has a hard time moving its Accords with more power, This thing will struggle even more.
Don't drink the sheepeople kool-aid.

Honda has a hard time moving the new Accord, because it's hideous. Power has nothing to do with it, there are overwhelmingly more 4 cylinder variants on the road than V6 variants.
Old 06-01-18, 10:30 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

a manual option on the turbo version would be zoom zoom! maybe they're saving it for a limited run of the mazdaspeed6??
Old 06-01-18, 10:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
You would take the 4cly T, over a smooth V6 now?
Without hesitation. The Mazda 6 is a MUCH better looking car with a much nicer interior, I wouldn't even consider a Camry if I were looking for a midsized mainstream car. Wouldn't even test drive one.
Old 06-01-18, 11:28 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Honda has a hard time moving the new Accord, because it's hideous. Power has nothing to do with it, there are overwhelmingly more 4 cylinder variants on the road than V6 variants.
Well yea it is hideous, but the Mazda looks great and to some the Camry isnt bad either. Then when it comes to paying close to $35k, for either vehicle, that's when better marketing comes in in the form of higher HP numbers.
Old 06-01-18, 11:29 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Without hesitation. The Mazda 6 is a MUCH better looking car with a much nicer interior, I wouldn't even consider a Camry if I were looking for a midsized mainstream car. Wouldn't even test drive one.
But arent you **** about powertrain smoothness?
Old 06-01-18, 11:39 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

True. But Honda also don't offer good lease deals on the new Accord. They treat it like its a "premium" car.

People in this price point just want an A to B economy car. So there main concern is probably price - so they are likely to pick up a Camry LE/SE/XSE (non-v6) for cheap.
Old 06-01-18, 11:40 AM
Hoovey689

Well yea it is hideous, but the Mazda looks great and to some the Camry isnt bad either. Then when it comes to paying close to $35k, for either vehicle, that's when better marketing comes in in the form of higher HP numbers.
Advertise your strength then. I have not seen any Mazda6 commercials, but if I were in charge I'd throw out the old adage

"horsepower is for show, torque wins the race" Mazda6 with 310 ft-lbs. You can "[let's] go places" in your Camry, but we'll be waiting for you past the checkered flag. *Cue the milk and pretty ladies*
Old 06-01-18, 11:43 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
True. But Honda also don't offer good lease deals on the new Accord. They treat it like its a "premium" car.

People in this price point just want an A to B economy car. So there main concern is probably price - so they are likely to pick up a Camry LE/SE/XSE (non-v6) for cheap.
Funny, you have these mainstream like Honda, Toyota, Nissan. Then the outlier Mazda. Similar to mainstream luxury like BMW, Mercedes, Audi. Then you have the outlier Jaguar. For a select few who go against the grain they'll get a slightly more bespoke model. Oh well, too each their own, that's the beauty of cars.. there's something out there for everyone. CHOICE!
Old 06-01-18, 11:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But arent you **** about powertrain smoothness?
Im my flagship luxury car sure...
Old 06-01-18, 12:28 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The HP numbers are pretty mediocre for a relatively big 4cylinder. In a sedan, Mazda could have prioritized HP over torque since its much lighter and doesn't have 4wd to worry about.
I have yet to read any complaints about HP in the CX-9 with the same HP and torque ratings.

Originally Posted by jgscott
Mazda is obviously aiming for people who don't floor the car for acceleration. More with the high tq number looking for people who will be happy just squeezing the pedal off with lots of tq. I'm sure it moves very well in that scenario.
The bread and butter of this entire segment aims for people who don't floor the car for acceleration.

Last edited by tex2670; 06-01-18 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-01-18, 01:34 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks very nice inside out. Have to give credit to Mazda, they have been churning some excellent cars lately. This would be an easy choice over the Accord if i wanted a Turbo engine. My first choice however would still be the Camry XSE with the excellent NA V6!
Old 06-01-18, 01:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by sorptd
Looks very nice inside out. Have to give credit to Mazda, they have been churning some excellent cars lately. This would be an easy choice over the Accord if i wanted a Turbo engine. My first choice however would still be the Camry XSE with the excellent NA V6!
I have to agree with sorptd. Although the Mazda6 probably has a more driver-oriented chassis than even the Camry XSE, the lack of a N/A V6 option on the Mazda, and its availability on the Camry, is, IMO, a strong selling point for the Camry. I suspect, though, that the Camry XSE will lose some ride comfort with its lower-profile tires (compared to four-cylinder Camrys). That's one thing I like about the Lacrosse.....it gives you a nice V6 combined with higher-profile tires, softer suspension, and more comfort, without mandatory stiffer-riding sports packages.
Old 06-01-18, 03:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think there are very few people who know or care whether it has a V6 or not. The take rate for the V6 in the Camry is pretty small.
Old 06-01-18, 04:07 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think there are very few people who know or care whether it has a V6 or not. The take rate for the V6 in the Camry is pretty small.
This.

The V6 on the new Camry is still insanely small. The V6 Camry was never really the main seller and I would argue that its even more of a non-seller at this point too. I believe this because the 2018 XSE Camry and XSE Camry V6 have no difference between the cars besides the engine. People, in theory, can buy the XSE Camry and pretend like they have the V6 XSE Camry because there are no visual ques telling the difference.

Quick Reply: 2018 Mazda6 2.5T Review