Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Mazda6 2.5T Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-18, 04:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think there are very few people who know or care whether it has a V6 or not. The take rate for the V6 in the Camry is pretty small.
Originally Posted by BippuLexus
The V6 on the new Camry is still insanely small. The V6 Camry was never really the main seller and I would argue that its even more of a non-seller at this point too.
Part of that is because the V6 is only offered the XSE version....with the sport-wheels and tires. If it was offered as an option in other versions of the Camry, it would probably sell a lot better.

Ditto for the Accord, BTW.....which dropped the V6 altogether. Check this article out:

https://www.torquenews.com/4343/wher...ners-want-know

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-01-18 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-01-18, 04:39 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Part of that is because the V6 is only offered the XSE version....with the sport-wheels and tires. If it was offered as an option in other versions of the Camry, it would probably sell a lot better.

Ditto for the Accord, BTW.....which dropped the V6 altogether. Check this article out:

Maybe it'll sell better but I'm not too sure. I'm not too sure for one specific reason - cost. If you add a V6 option to the LE/SE trim, it'll sharply increase the price. A lot of people shopping for Camrys usually just want a cheap A to B full-size economy car. This is why the LE/SE sells so well.
Old 06-01-18, 05:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe it'll sell better but I'm not too sure. I'm not too sure for one specific reason - cost. If you add a V6 option to the LE/SE trim, it'll sharply increase the price.
Oh, definitely. I'm not disagreeing with you on that at all. In most cases, though, a V6 runs so much better and more refined than an in-line four that it is worth the price of admission. I love the V6 in my Lacrosse. But, of course, for buyers who think otherwise (and yes, there are plenty of them)...there are plenty of 4-banger Camrys.

A lot of people shopping for Camrys usually just want a cheap A to B full-size economy car. This is why the LE/SE sells so well.
If a 4-cylinder mid-size or full-size sedan is all they what, they can get several of the Camry's competitors (including the Sonata and Optima) at a lower price. And the Koreans, IMO, actually give you more solid-feeling hardware inside and out.
Old 06-01-18, 06:35 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

The take rate of the Camry V6 may be small but it may be a marketing special. Its role may be to attract prospective buyers into the showroom, but once there, they decide to buy an almost-as-good but much less expensive 4-cylinder model instead.
Old 06-01-18, 07:00 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think there are very few people who know or care whether it has a V6 or not. The take rate for the V6 in the Camry is pretty small.
Yup. An amazing number of people have no idea what this even means. They just "feel" whether they have enough power. I have a neighbor that will research just about every purchase he makes. He took 9 months to find a washer/dryer; he went to 3 different stores before choosing a run-of-the-mill microwave; he read 100s of on-line reviews in choosing a basement couch between Ikea or Bob's. But when he was looking to replace his Hyundai Santa Fe coming off lease, I suggested the CX-9; and I told him to drive it to make sure he was comfortable with the turbo 4 compared to his car. His response: "I thought my car has a 4-cylinder?" If people are happy with how it drives, for the most part, they could care less how big the engine is.

Exactly--most people are drawn in by the overall package/features, not by the engine size/cylinders.
Old 06-01-18, 08:50 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get the non sporty xle trim with the same V6 as well. Toyota has always offered the v6 on both the sporty and non sporty trims.

Back to the Mazda. It will interesting to see if this new more powerful engine option will have any impact on the Mazda 6 sales. As it is the cheaper 4 cyl model doesn’t sell too well. I hope it does, this car deserves to sell more IMO
Old 06-02-18, 12:50 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, definitely. I'm not disagreeing with you on that at all. In most cases, though, a V6 runs so much better and more refined than an in-line four that it is worth the price of admission. I love the V6 in my Lacrosse. But, of course, for buyers who think otherwise (and yes, there are plenty of them)...there are plenty of 4-banger Camrys.
If a 4-cylinder mid-size or full-size sedan is all they what, they can get several of the Camry's competitors (including the Sonata and Optima) at a lower price. And the Koreans, IMO, actually give you more solid-feeling hardware inside and out.
For sure. A V6 is hands down more smooth than an inline 4 or a turbo 4. And for car enthusiast, who prefer a V6, it will definitely be worth the price.

But for the average consumer - they probably won't care or won't even know the difference to be honest. Lol.

Gonna agree with you there, the Korean competition does offer better warranty and features for a better price. The problem Hyundai and KIA has is brand perception still. Toyota sells because Toyota.

Originally Posted by tex2670
Exactly--most people are drawn in by the overall package/features, not by the engine size/cylinders.
+1. Yeah. For the average consumer, they are drawn to the overall features within the car - not the engine size/cylinders/transmission/platform/handling and etc... Usually - an average consumer will get the car with the nice brand and features that will apply to their driving needs.
Old 06-02-18, 05:58 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want to point out the Lexus IS350 does 0-60 in 5.6
actually 6.0 seconds according to last instrumented test by c&d, and 6.4 5-60. consistent with most driving impressions of the car, and definitely not class leading.
Old 06-04-18, 07:15 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,744 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
actually 6.0 seconds according to last instrumented test by c&d, and 6.4 5-60. consistent with most driving impressions of the car, and definitely not class leading.
I think they messed up somehow. I tested my own IS 300 AWD and managed 6.3 seconds with 2/3 a tank of fuel, and without brake torqueing. There's no way with 50 more horsepower that the IS 350 is only .3 seconds faster.
Old 06-04-18, 07:23 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I have yet to read any complaints about HP in the CX-9 with the same HP and torque ratings.

The bread and butter of this entire segment aims for people who don't floor the car for acceleration.
Because in a big suv with AWD makes sense to have more torque and I think most people will understand that. In a light car competing against the Camry and Accord, you probably need better than "hey we have 250hp on good gas." I'm still curious though, how a fwd car can put down all that torque at such low RPMs
Old 06-04-18, 07:55 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

It wasn't that long ago that the V6 was available in all but the lowest trim levels. And still the take rate was just six percent.
Old 06-04-18, 11:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
It wasn't that long ago that the V6 was available in all but the lowest trim levels. And still the take rate was just six percent.

6% of Camry numbers, though, is still a fair number of sales. Don't forget, you are talking about one of the few sedans that still sells several hundred thousand each year (far more than the thread-topic Mazda6), despite the rush to SUVs.
Old 06-04-18, 11:53 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BoDarville
Originally Posted by arentz07
I think they messed up somehow. I tested my own IS 300 AWD and managed 6.3 seconds with 2/3 a tank of fuel, and without brake torqueing. There's no way with 50 more horsepower that the IS 350 is only .3 seconds faster.
C&D definitely messed up their 0-60 time for sure. MotorTrend got 5.5 seconds, Autoblog got 5.6 seconds and Lexus quotes 5.6 seconds for their IS350 as an official number.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/lexus...rt-first-test/
5.5 seconds.
https://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/04/...is-350-review/
5.6 seconds.
https://www.lexus.com/models/IS/spec...ort-rwd#engine
5.6 seconds.

These times are faster than the:
Audi A4 0-60 5.7 seconds.
MB C300 0-60 5.8 seconds.
Acura TLX 0-60 6 seconds.

Tied with:
BMW 330i 5.5 - 5.6 seconds.

Slower than:
Infiniti Q50 3.0TT

While the Lexus IS350 F-Sport might not be first place in the segment (Q50 is first) compared to Germans and other Japanese manufacturers, they are definitely leading it too.
Note: I'm not comparing the IS350 F-Sport to the Q50 Red Sport, 340i, C43 AMG and S4 because these cars are of a different segment.

Also - I want to point the Lexus IS have amazing handling too. Its the best handling car within the segment. The Lexus IS is the first car to ever top the BMW 3 Series within the segment regarding handling.

Last edited by BippuLexus; 06-04-18 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-04-18, 01:25 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

6% of Camry numbers, though, is still a fair number of sales. Don't forget, you are talking about one of the few sedans that still sells several hundred thousand each year (far more than the thread-topic Mazda6), despite the rush to SUVs.
That they sold ~23k cars with the v6 last year is immaterial. You said it would sell a lot better if they offered it in more trim levels. They did, and it didn't.
Old 06-04-18, 07:17 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C&D definitely messed up their 0-60 time for sure. Lexus quotes 5.6 seconds for their IS350 as an official number.

https://www.lexus.com/models/IS/spec...ort-rwd#engine
5.6 seconds.
well if lexus quotes that time as an official number than i guess it is beyond questioning. that settles it for me, on my way to lexus dealership now..... hope i can talk them down to msrp, wish me luck!!!

Quick Reply: 2018 Mazda6 2.5T Review