Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

7th gen ES Infotainment with Alexa and Apple Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-18, 01:10 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
Default 7th gen ES Infotainment with Alexa and Apple Carplay

Here are some videos of the 7ES with Amazon Alexa and Apple Carplay. The new system in 7ES looks much faster.
Old 05-31-18, 02:16 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by john341
Here are some videos of the 7ES with Amazon Alexa and Apple Carplay. The new system in 7ES looks much faster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZZ753_dfq4
Omg. Thanks for the Alexa video. I was curious about if the new ES will have built in Alexa - apparently it does. What will be the difference between built-in Alexa on the ES to the Alexa on Enform services?

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-31-18 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-01-18, 02:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus

Omg. Thanks for the Alexa video. I was curious about if the new ES will have built in Alexa - apparently it does. What will be the difference between built-in Alexa on the ES to the Alexa on Enform services?

Alexa on enform can do what Enform can - turn on/off car, lock/unlock, check gas.

Alexa on ES can do much more since it has Alexa literally built in.
Old 06-01-18, 04:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

LE has nice video of Alexa in 2019 ES:
https://lexusenthusiast.com/2018/05/...a-integration/

It can offload nav to the built in navigation and you can also control other apps with it like iheart radio.... it will listen for your commands in the background while you are using maps or any other app on Lexus Enform, you dont have to be in Alexa!
Old 06-01-18, 04:54 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
LE has nice video of Alexa in 2019 ES:
https://lexusenthusiast.com/2018/05/...a-integration/

It can offload nav to the built in navigation and you can also control other apps with it like iheart radio.... it will listen for your commands in the background while you are using maps or any other app on Lexus Enform, you dont have to be in Alexa!
Thanks for the video links but I literally actually just saw that about 30 minutes ago!

Yeah. The Alexa is embedded into the infotainment system and listens to everything. You can push-to-talk or just have it running in the background. <--- Because of this, I think Amazon Alexa isn't replacing Lexus' default voice control. I think the Lexus ES will still come with Lexus original voice control plus Amazon Alexa. IE: If Alexa is on, it'll cover over the Lexus voice control. But if Alexa is off, it'll use Lexus voice. I think it'll be pretty restrictive to force people to use Alexa.

It is really cool that you can speak out an address or place and Alexa will send the directions to your navigation screen. That's a +1. But for me personally, car-to-home control is a little too much and gimmicky for me. <---- This forces you to rig your house with Amazon Alexa systems. For me, I don't see me really sending instructions to the house from the car.
Old 06-01-18, 05:14 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks for the video links but I literally actually just saw that about 30 minutes ago!

Yeah. The Alexa is embedded into the infotainment system and listens to everything. You can push-to-talk or just have it running in the background. <--- Because of this, I think Amazon Alexa isn't replacing Lexus' default voice control. I think the Lexus ES will still come with Lexus original voice control plus Amazon Alexa. IE: If Alexa is on, it'll cover over the Lexus voice control. But if Alexa is off, it'll use Lexus voice. I think it'll be pretty restrictive to force people to use Alexa.

It is really cool that you can speak out an address or place and Alexa will send the directions to your navigation screen. That's a +1. But for me personally, car-to-home control is a little too much and gimmicky for me. <---- This forces you to rig your house with Amazon Alexa systems. For me, I don't see me really sending instructions to the house from the car.
I don't remember creating this thread. Lol. Anyways, does one need Enform Subscription to use Alexa?
"But for me personally, car-to-home control is a little too much and gimmicky for me. <---- This forces you to rig your house with Amazon Alexa systems. For me, I don't see me really sending instructions to the house from the car."
IMO, it is a cool feature to a certain degree, especially IoT is starting to be prevalent. One can use Alexa to open the garage door, turn the lights inside and outside of your home when you reach your driveway, disable security system, unlock the door etc. But I agree with your point.
Old 06-01-18, 11:07 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I don't remember creating this thread. Lol. Anyways, does one need Enform Subscription to use Alexa?
"But for me personally, car-to-home control is a little too much and gimmicky for me. <---- This forces you to rig your house with Amazon Alexa systems. For me, I don't see me really sending instructions to the house from the car."
IMO, it is a cool feature to a certain degree, especially IoT is starting to be prevalent. One can use Alexa to open the garage door, turn the lights inside and outside of your home when you reach your driveway, disable security system, unlock the door etc. But I agree with your point.
Oh. A Mod moved this conversation to its on thread.

I do agree - its cool to a certain degree. If my house was rigged to be control by Alexa, I would like to tell Alexa to turn on my porch light so I can see the stairs/key hole. However - my house isn't rigged to control Alexa. I think that's where I'm getting at - majority of people don't have an Alexa controlled house so majority of the time the car-to-house command is gimmicky.
Note: In my opinion, personally, I would not trust Alexa to open my garage door or disable security system or unlock the door. There has been times where voice assistant AI hears you wrong and activates a command. I would be too worried to have Alexa accidentally unlocking my house. There are plenty of stories of Alexa doing random stuff because it thought it heard a command.
Old 06-03-18, 04:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Oh. A Mod moved this conversation to its on thread.

I do agree - its cool to a certain degree. If my house was rigged to be control by Alexa, I would like to tell Alexa to turn on my porch light so I can see the stairs/key hole. However - my house isn't rigged to control Alexa. I think that's where I'm getting at - majority of people don't have an Alexa controlled house so majority of the time the car-to-house command is gimmicky.
Note: In my opinion, personally, I would not trust Alexa to open my garage door or disable security system or unlock the door. There has been times where voice assistant AI hears you wrong and activates a command. I would be too worried to have Alexa accidentally unlocking my house. There are plenty of stories of Alexa doing random stuff because it thought it heard a command.
obviously nobody is forcing you to automate your home... Alexa is optional and it is actually by far the best selling home automation system so it is great that it is in. For people that do use Alexa, it is great that they can use it through their car instead of picking up their phone while driving.

Both CarPlay and Alexa are completely optional so if people dont want to use them, they dont have to.
Old 06-03-18, 08:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

I don't remember creating this thread
that's because you didn't. You posted the first post here in a completely unrelated thread, so i moved it to its own thread.

Old 06-04-18, 12:22 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

obviously nobody is forcing you to automate your home... Alexa is optional and it is actually by far the best selling home automation system so it is great that it is in. For people that do use Alexa, it is great that they can use it through their car instead of picking up their phone while driving.

Both CarPlay and Alexa are completely optional so if people dont want to use them, they dont have to.
I didn't say anyone is forcing me to automate my home... I was merely stating that I don't see myself using Amazon Alexa within my home if was automated through the worry of it accidentally unlocking my door. Yeah. Amazon Alexa is the best selling virtual assistant but it still makes mistakes... All AI voice assist makes mistakes.

Of course its optional and no one have to use it. I was just stating my opinion of why I would use it (turn on porch light if my home was a smart home) and why I wouldn't (the fear of it accidentally unlocking my home doors.)
Old 06-04-18, 05:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

the little echo i have on my desk at an office i use is handy when i'm leaving, i just say 'alexa, tell genesis to start my car' and it does (after i enter my pin for security)...
at my home office i wouldn't use it because the car is in my garage but at the other office it's nice to have the car cool down before i walk downstairs and outside.
Old 06-04-18, 06:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the little echo i have on my desk at an office i use is handy when i'm leaving, i just say 'alexa, tell genesis to start my car' and it does (after i enter my pin for security)...
at my home office i wouldn't use it because the car is in my garage but at the other office it's nice to have the car cool down before i walk downstairs and outside.
indeed, and in 2019 ES, Echo is basically in your vehicle... so you can use inside vehicle commands to pre-cool your house, roll up your blinds, turn on the lights, or whatever else you use your echo for.
If you use echo for music at home, then you can also use the same service for music in car, etc, etc. It is very convenient.

It is very well done, and makes sense.
Old 06-04-18, 09:11 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

No android auto...sigh....
Old 06-05-18, 06:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

indeed, and in 2019 ES, Echo is basically in your vehicle... so you can use inside vehicle commands to pre-cool your house, roll up your blinds, turn on the lights, or whatever else you use your echo for.
If you use echo for music at home, then you can also use the same service for music in car, etc, etc. It is very convenient.

It is very well done, and makes sense.
nice to have alexa in the car for sure if that's the ecosystem you use. my echo came with the car so i use it for that. at home i use google. my car also has a 'google button' which is only for destination search but extremely handy as of course it's going to have access to everything vs. what a built in nav has. love it. i have a google home mini which is nice too.
Old 06-05-18, 08:32 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

One of the announcements at Apple's World Conference is that the new OS will enable the iPhone to support Google maps and Waze through Car Play.

Quick Reply: 7th gen ES Infotainment with Alexa and Apple Carplay