Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Whats your (HELL NO NUMBER)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-18, 08:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i dunno, $10 a gallon? why? put simply, it would have to be a crisis to make ANY sense.

economics:
when selling the gas non-sipping vehicle you're gonna get lousy trade-in because obviously demand would slow (some).
the gas sipping cars will command prices close to msrp (and used sippers will sell for higher prices as demand increases).
let's do some math:
unless making a MAJOR concession (going from a still valuable high value car to a CHEAP car), you're gonna be spending out of pocket to get into the new car. let's suppose it costs an average $10K to downsize.
let's suppose the 'sipper' gets 40mpg and the 'guzzler' got 20mpg.
driving 10k mi. a year, sipper uses 250 gallons and guzzler uses 500 gallons. at $5 a gallon that's an extra $1250 a year to drive the guzzler.
so if downsizing cost $10K you have to drive the sipper for an agonizing EIGHT YEARS to BREAK EVEN.

function/form:
downsizing from a nice vehicle to a sipper means you're compromising your lifestyle because you will now be driving a small vehicle that for many (i'm tall) will feel cramped, won't hold much stuff, is harder to get in and out of, is noisier, etc.

SO NO FREAKING THANKS.

maybe a few math-challenged ones 'threw' in the towel, but most people i know just kept on driving what they had an moaned about it.
Can't we come up with a trillion examples about how "if" your pay had increased over the last 18 years at the typical rate, you'd have a lot less buying power today? Literally say a food that was 30 oz. for $2.50 in 2000, is $5.49 for 24 oz. today (ordinary inflation this example should be around $3.75 today for 30 oz. of product). Don't need math to see that's more than double, it's closer to tripled. Has your salary doubled since 2000? I would say it depends on one's age. If 40? Maybe quadrupled. If 75? Maybe not.

Let's see if the roads are cleared out at $5/gal. I'll bet the farm traffic will be just as heavy. there is not game over, thanks for playing number.

edit. p.s. also, wouldn't we safely say peoples' cars are getting flashier and fancier and they're apportioning more of their income on disposable things? So why would a simple component like gasoline change one's habits...

Last edited by Johnhav430; 06-02-18 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-02-18, 08:19 AM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

I picked up the 2017 Accord Hybrid last year to balance out the two V8's (GS and F150). I love the 210 hp in the Honda that has returned 40 + mpg all year long.
Old 06-02-18, 08:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lurker9
I picked up the 2017 Accord Hybrid last year to balance out the two V8's (GS and F150). I love the 210 hp in the Honda that has returned 40 + mpg all year long.
It's nice to pick up things! We're all willing, but not everyone is able....but there is no game over number. I can live with 19 mpg @ $3.099. I mean $7? maybe I would take public transit 1 or 2 times a year to offset it.
Old 06-02-18, 09:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
It's nice to pick up things! We're all willing, but not everyone is able....but there is no game over number. I can live with 19 mpg @ $3.099. I mean $7? maybe I would take public transit 1 or 2 times a year to offset it.

$7? I don't know know what subway rides cost in PA where you are (I presume you're in Philadelphia?)...but you would probably cringe if you saw the rates we are now paying in the DC area for Metro rides and parking. You would probably spend at least twice that every day if you rode during peak rush-hours and used Metro parking facilities. And the more fare and parking increases Metro gets, the less service they provide. Mostly because of decades of neglect, incompetent managers/employees, and an overly-powerful union, it's hands-down the most inefficient organization I've ever seen, even more so than the Federal Government...and, believe me, that's saying something.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-02-18 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-02-18, 09:47 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
$7? I don't know know what subway rides cost in PA where you are (I presume you're in Philadelphia?)...but you would probably cringe if you saw the rates we are now paying in the DC area for Metro rides and parking. You would probably spend at least twice that every day if you rode during peak rush-hours and used Metro parking facilities. And the more fare and parking increases Metro gets, the less service they provide. Mostly because of decades of neglect, incompetent managers/employees, and an overly-powerful union, it's hands-down the most inefficient organization I've ever seen, even more so than the Federal Government...and, believe me, that's saying something.
haha I was just joking and meant $7/gal for fuel....the transit here has never been too affordable. Parking is ridiculously cheap, $14 is not unheard of. Most cities are maybe 2-3X that. I've paid $40 in Chicago, and $57 in NYC.

The one thing I'm not sure I've ever heard of anywhere other than Philly. Say the sign says $14 all day--if you leave at say 2 PM, it's $30. lol There is tiny print on the sign you cannot leave before a certain time
Old 06-02-18, 11:05 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

A gas sipping car no longer means econobox with an anemic engine anymore, so I dont understand the stigma. We should all be moving towards and considering more economical, and just as powerful if not more powerful, cars in our decision making when choosing our next vehicle. Its called technology. We can have the best of both worlds now.

I find it so strange that whenever gas prices go down, there are stats to show people buy more SUVs and when gas prices high, they buy smaller vehicles. That sounds crazy to me as its only inevitable for gas prices to keep going up. I was having a conversation with some coworkers the other day and my personal feeling is that gas is too cheap in the States. If you really think about it, how can something that the earth needs a billion years to make from dead animals in the ground, that then needs to be discovered, extracted, refined, and shipped all the way to your gas station be cheaper than a gallon of milk that comes from the local farm?
Old 06-02-18, 02:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
That sounds crazy to me as its only inevitable for gas prices to keep going up. I was having a conversation with some coworkers the other day and my personal feeling is that gas is too cheap in the States. If you really think about it, how can something that the earth needs a billion years to make from dead animals in the ground, that then needs to be discovered, extracted, refined, and shipped all the way to your gas station be cheaper than a gallon of milk that comes from the local farm?
Actually, in the U.S., it is not inevitable that gas prices should keep on rising. Yes, we are seeing a (probably temporary) spike for the summer driving season, which is considered by economists to be more or less normal, and prices will likely come down after Labor Day, when vacation season ends. One thing that has greatly helped the supply situation in the U.S. is that at least some of the former restrictions on offshore drilling and refinery construction have been lifted by the last two Administrations. As a result, we are no longer at the mercy of OPEC and/or Middle-Eastern sources for most of our supply.
Old 06-02-18, 02:55 PM
Lurker9
Pole Position

LOL, my collection of vehicles are actually saving me money in the long run. I get bored with driving the same car very quickly, so the last few lasted only about 18 months. It didn't matter how nice and reliable the car was, I simply get tired of the same experience over time. It gets very expensive to own a new car for two years or less. So my solution was to get these three with totally different driving characteristics:
- Accord Hybrid: very good mileage anyway I drive it, nimble handling, silent motion in EV mode and blends right in with the general population.
- F150: big bulky truck always gives the feeling of being invincible on the roads (without acting so). Get to block the views of car drivers .
- GSF: this shiny orange Lexus is almost the exact opposite of the Accord Hybrid
So far, I think my strategy is working. I still love each of them just like the first time I brought them home. I think they can easily stay with me for the next 10 years. The only problem is now my wife wanted a Lexus SUV
Old 06-02-18, 02:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
A gas sipping car no longer means econobox with an anemic engine anymore, so I dont understand the stigma. We should all be moving towards and considering more economical, and just as powerful if not more powerful, cars in our decision making when choosing our next vehicle. Its called technology. We can have the best of both worlds now.

I find it so strange that whenever gas prices go down, there are stats to show people buy more SUVs and when gas prices high, they buy smaller vehicles. That sounds crazy to me as its only inevitable for gas prices to keep going up. I was having a conversation with some coworkers the other day and my personal feeling is that gas is too cheap in the States. If you really think about it, how can something that the earth needs a billion years to make from dead animals in the ground, that then needs to be discovered, extracted, refined, and shipped all the way to your gas station be cheaper than a gallon of milk that comes from the local farm?
Yes it is cheaper in the US than in some other parts of the world. Less tax. If the gas prices were higher, less trucks and SUVs would be sold.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-02-18 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-02-18, 03:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurker9
because spending $30k+ to save $1000 at most a year makes sense (30 yr break even)
Old 06-02-18, 03:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So why would a simple component like gasoline change one's habits...
Because other things like your rent, mortgage, food, you can’t really change that easy. Gasoline is something you can buy less of if you buy a cheaper more affordable driving car. So when gas gets to a certain threshold, the new car buyer now instead of buying the V6 gas suv opts for the 4 cylinder hatch back or whatever more fuel efficient vehicle they might get. So on and so on right across the industry. Most people spend their pay check, they do not have the extra funds to absorb an increase in gas. The other issue is things like your food and other goods also rise when gas prices increase, its not just the gas you put in your car that increasss, so people naturally find ways to spend less gas if they can.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-02-18 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-02-18, 03:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Can't we come up with a trillion examples about how "if" your pay had increased over the last 18 years at the typical rate, you'd have a lot less buying power today? Literally say a food that was 30 oz. for $2.50 in 2000, is $5.49 for 24 oz. today (ordinary inflation this example should be around $3.75 today for 30 oz. of product). Don't need math to see that's more than double, it's closer to tripled. Has your salary doubled since 2000? I would say it depends on one's age. If 40? Maybe quadrupled. If 75? Maybe not.
The US dollar is not as strong as it once was. The recession in 08 and the constant printing of money at the time have made it worth less than it once was. It is still a strong dollar but things in the US now cost a lot more than ever.
Old 06-02-18, 04:05 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Actually, in the U.S., it is not inevitable that gas prices should keep on rising. Yes, we are seeing a (probably temporary) spike for the summer driving season, which is considered by economists to be more or less normal, and prices will likely come down after Labor Day, when vacation season ends. One thing that has greatly helped the supply situation in the U.S. is that at least some of the former restrictions on offshore drilling and refinery construction have been lifted by the last two Administrations. As a result, we are no longer at the mercy of OPEC and/or Middle-Eastern sources for most of our supply.
I'm looking long into the distance. Everything is getting more expensive. Gasoline was under 2 dollars 15 years ago and now it hovers around 4 in my area. It is inevitable that it will continue to rise. It is also economics. Sure, we have some greater supply at the moment, but 500 years from now, when we have pretty much exhausted all of our supplies, who knows what price it will be at.
Old 06-02-18, 05:17 PM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

because spending $30k+ to save $1000 at most a year makes sense (30 yr break even)
I am not looking at it that way. I considered saving money on gas as a driving characteristic that I sometime enjoy a lot. In the context of this thread, I think I would enjoy it more it gas price doubled or simply went through the roof.
Old 06-02-18, 06:19 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing that has greatly helped the supply situation in the U.S. is that at least some of the former restrictions on offshore drilling and refinery construction have been lifted by the last two Administrations. As a result, we are no longer at the mercy of OPEC and/or Middle-Eastern sources for most of our supply.
spilling some oil in the middle of the arabian desert is not a big deal. pumping millions upon millions of gallons of oil into the gulf of mexico is criminally disastrous. petty individuals who support risking major catastrophes in order to keep a little extra pocket change are self-indulgent and hollow and empty inside.

Quick Reply: Whats your (HELL NO NUMBER)?