Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Waymo announces plan to buy 62,000 Chrysler Pacificas.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-18, 02:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Waymo announces plan to buy 62,000 Chrysler Pacificas.

Waymo, the Google subsidiary for self-driving vehicles, just announced a plan to buy up to 62,000 Chrysler Pacificas to re-outfit them for service. This should give the struggling Chrysler Division a badly-needed shot in the arm....perhaps one of the things that persuaded Sergio Marchionne to keep the division in business. There were strong rumors that he would ax Chrysler...fortunately, those turned out not to be true. Of course, Waymo doesn't have to buy those Pacificas under the Chrysler nameplate....they could buy them from Dodge if the Pacificas ended up re-badged that way.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/31/b...-minivans.html

Waymo to Buy Up to 62,000 Chrysler Minivans for Ride-Hailing Service

A Chrysler Pacifica minivan outfitted with Waymo self-driving technology in Mountain View, Calif., last summer. Waymo’s plan to buy up to 62,000 of the minivans signals its ambitions for a driverless ride-hailing service.CreditJason Henry for The New York TimesWaymo, the driverless-technology company spun out of Google, has agreed to purchase as many as 62,000 minivans from Fiat Chrysler Automobiles for use in a ride-hailing service set to begin commercial operations later this year.

The announcement on Thursday is the latest sign that Waymo is counting on a rapid liftoff for the service. In March, it agreed to purchase up to 20,000 compact cars for the service from Jaguar Land Rover beginning in 2019.

Both the Chrysler Pacifica minivans and the Jaguar cars will be equipped with the radars, cameras and sensors that Waymo has developed to enable the vehicles to drive themselves on public roads. Waymo plans to start its service in Phoenix, then expand to the San Francisco area and to other cities across the country.

Waymo began working with Fiat Chrysler in 2016 and has built a fleet of driverless minivans that it has been testing in Phoenix; Mountain View, Calif.; Austin, Tex.; and Kirkland, Wash.“We’re excited to deepen our relationship with F.C.A. that will support the launch of our driverless service, and explore future products that support Waymo’s mission,” Waymo’s chief executive, John Krafcik, said in a statement.

Waymo, a unit of Google’s parent company, Alphabet, will begin purchasing the minivans late this year. It gave no details on how many minivans it expects to buy this year or next, or what period the purchase agreement covers.

The company has been working on self-driving technology for nearly a decade, and is focusing on four potential lines of business. In addition to the ride service it intends to start, Waymo also expects to put its autonomous-driving technology into trucks and delivery vehicles. It is also developing systems for buses or other vehicles that can ferry riders to mass transportation systems. The fourth area would involve licensing its technology to automakers like Fiat Chrysler.

In March, Mr. Krafcik said these four areas have the potential to become highly profitable businesses. Waymo does not intend to make cars itself.

The companies said Thursday that they were in talks about licensing Waymo technology to Fiat Chrysler so the carmaker can at some point sell self-driving minivans to consumers.“F.C.A. is committed to bringing self-driving technology to our customers in a manner that is safe, efficient and realistic,” Sergio Marchionne, Fiat Chrysler’s chief executive, said in a statement. “Strategic partnerships, such as the one we have with Waymo, will help to drive innovative technology to the forefront.”

Waymo made its announcement hours after General Motors revealed that its self-driving car operations would be getting a $2.25 billion investmentfrom a fund affiliated with Japan’s SoftBank Group. The new capital is intended to help the automaker’s Cruise division start a commercial ride service that will also use self-driving cars.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-02-18 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-02-18, 10:26 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Really what is called, "fake sales." This, in the longrun, does not help a car company. To be successful, one must consistently sell well each year, without having to get lucky.
Old 06-02-18, 10:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

The Pacifica sells really well already. Sales are up in 2018 from an already excellent 2017.
Old 06-02-18, 11:35 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The Pacifica sells really well already. Sales are up in 2018 from an already excellent 2017.
Not here in Los Angeles. May see one per month. The rest are all rentals.
Old 06-03-18, 12:22 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pacifica is a gorgeous looking van.
Old 06-03-18, 12:30 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Here in Tucson, the Pacifica is about the only new mini-van I see. I don't think the local Honda or Toyota dealers do much mini-van business.
Old 06-03-18, 01:02 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

My question is, why do they need the second pair of doors? Do people ride back there when it's loaded?
Old 06-03-18, 03:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Fleet-sales keep the assembly lines running just as much as those to private owners. A factory is either producing vehicles or it isn't.......there's no middle ground.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-03-18 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-03-18, 09:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There are 3 on my street alone. I find that hard to believe.
Old 06-03-18, 02:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

My question is, why do they need the second pair of doors? Do people ride back there when it's loaded?
not sure i understand your question or pic... i think those are chrysler 200's turned into hearses.

Old 06-03-18, 02:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

that's because LA is so image conscious and most wouldn't want to be seen in one.
Old 06-03-18, 06:24 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

not sure i understand your question or pic... i think those are chrysler 200's turned into hearses.

They do look like stretched Pacificas to me. The body side creases and the sliding door track give it away, but the taillamps have been changed from vertical to horizontal units.

About the rear doors, all the hearses (stretched Cadillacs) I have seen have kept the rear doors.
Old 06-03-18, 08:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They are indeed Pacifica hearses.

And hearses do have doors that open on the sides, for flowers, etc.