Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi Q8 Debuts

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-18, 12:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I have something much better- something that other auto manufacturers do pretty frequently. Come up with your own design and identity for your SUV. Stop copying Land Rover (or anyone else) with your SUV designs. Create your own image that people like and want to be aligned with. They first dipped their toe in the water of copying Land Rover with the Explorer and the Explorer Sport a few years ago - headlights, roof line, side profile, grille, etc. They should've backed away after that.

Here's a list of SUV's that I would never in a million years think resemble any other brand and aren't copying someone else.
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Infiniti QX80
Toyota LandCruiser/Lexus LX
Tesla X
The entire GL line of Mercedes
Lexus GX or 4 Runner
BMW X5
Audi Q5, Q7
Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade
Porsche Cayenne

To say you can only design an SUV exterior so many ways is comical. In a matter of a couple of minutes I listed 10-15 individual SUV's that don't look alike - they each have their own identity. Why does Lincoln have to copy someone else to launch a product? For a company that is going to stop making cars for the N. American market by 2020 you'd think they'd want to have an identity on their SUV's. I guess it's easier to copy someone else.
Similar profiles doesn't mean anyone is 'copying'. Remember that Ford owned Land Rover until 2008, and the 5th generation Explorer debuted in 2010. This means design was locked in before they sold LR. Also chief engineer Jim Holland led the 5th generation Explorer development, same guy who did the 2005 Range Rover and Ford Expedition.

Infiniti QX80 looks just like the Nissan Armada and Nissan Patrol..
GX/4Runner looks like Toyota Prado and Toyota Fortuner
Cayenne, looks just like the Toureg, which looks like the Q7 which looks like the Bentley Bentayga. Lamborghini Urus also is derivative of that MLB platform.
New 2019 Rav4 looks like the Subaru Forester
Chevy Traverse looks like the Buick Enclave
Honda Pilot looks like the Subaru Ascent
Jaguar XK (when it was around) looked just like the Aston Martin DB9
The BMW X6 and Mercedes GLE Coupe look alike

What about wagons? They all look the same. Sedans? Same, though some now are spawning a new sub variant in '4-door' coupes and those all look the same. Trucks?? Same. Mid-engine supercars? Same.

Point is, car silhouettes look the same. So unless you plan on making your own 'Homer' vehicle, there will be overlap. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 06-08-18, 01:25 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 390 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Infiniti QX80 looks just like the Nissan Armada and Nissan Patrol..
GX/4Runner looks like Toyota Prado and Toyota Fortuner
Cayenne, looks just like the Toureg, which looks like the Q7 which looks like the Bentley Bentayga. Lamborghini Urus also is derivative of that MLB platform.
Chevy Traverse looks like the Buick Enclave
I condensed your list to point out the obvious. Of course a QX80 looks like an Armada (although they definitely didn't until this year when the Armada got a facelift) - they're the same truck made by the same manufacturer. Of course a Chevy could look like a Buick- they're the same platform made by the same parent company. Of course GX looks like a Prado- it's the same vehicle with a different name..! And on, and on, and on. This is exactly why in my post I lumped similar vehicles together (LandCruiser/LX and Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade for example). I'm saying you don't mistake a GX for a Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes GL series, X5, Tahoe, etc. So comparing across brands, not within, is my point.

I like the look of the Lincoln. But only because I love the look of Range Rovers and they completely copied it from certain angles. I just think it's lame that they had to copy another company's design. And to me, it diminishes Lincoln by doing so - similar to when I see people with older Chrysler 300's that put a Bentley badge on it I think it's a) ridiculous of the owner to do that b) shows how badly Chrysler wanted to copy the look of a luxury car. Lincoln used to be viewed as a luxury car company. Luxury brands should set the pace and have their own distinct look; not follow someone else's lead in an attempt to have their car/SUV "mistaken" for that of a more prestigious vehicle.

I'll agree to disagree on other points you made as I know this thread was meant to be the Q8 and I started going off-topic. Maybe there can be a different thread in the future about this topic. I'd enjoy the various points-of-view as always.
Old 06-08-18, 01:48 PM
Hoovey689

I condensed your list to point out the obvious. Of course a QX80 looks like an Armada (although they definitely didn't until this year when the Armada got a facelift) - they're the same truck made by the same manufacturer. Of course a Chevy could look like a Buick- they're the same platform made by the same parent company. Of course GX looks like a Prado- it's the same vehicle with a different name..! And on, and on, and on. This is exactly why in my post I lumped similar vehicles together (LandCruiser/LX and Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade for example). I'm saying you don't mistake a GX for a Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes GL series, X5, Tahoe, etc. So comparing across brands, not within, is my point.

I like the look of the Lincoln. But only because I love the look of Range Rovers and they completely copied it from certain angles. I just think it's lame that they had to copy another company's design. And to me, it diminishes Lincoln by doing so - similar to when I see people with older Chrysler 300's that put a Bentley badge on it I think it's a) ridiculous of the owner to do that b) shows how badly Chrysler wanted to copy the look of a luxury car. Lincoln used to be viewed as a luxury car company. Luxury brands should set the pace and have their own distinct look; not follow someone else's lead in an attempt to have their car/SUV "mistaken" for that of a more prestigious vehicle.

I'll agree to disagree on other points you made as I know this thread was meant to be the Q8 and I started going off-topic. Maybe there can be a different thread in the future about this topic. I'd enjoy the various points-of-view as always.
Here's a list of SUV's that I would never in a million years think resemble any other brand
When you said the above, It was a bit open to interpretation, because yes Nissan/Infiniti may be from the same company, but both are different brands. You've made it more clear now.

That's where we differ. I see a similar shape/profile/silhouette, but to me there is no mistaking the Aviator for a Range Rover. In fact I find the Aviator far more attractive.

Good idea

Back to the Q8

Some doesn't look right. Doesn't have that 'flagship' appeal to me. Looks just as dowdy as the smaller Q3 IMO. I feel Audi missed the mark, but whatever, it's another SUV in their portfolio and relatively easy to manufacture on their MLB platform. The Q8 will sell better than the A8. Maybe a mammoth Q9 is waiting in the wings hah.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 06-08-18 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-08-18, 02:05 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 390 Likes on 264 Posts

^^ Range Rover picture is a Sport, not the full size which is what I think Aviator closely resembles. Sorry to keep off topic, back to the Q8!
Old 06-08-18, 02:16 PM
Hoovey689

^^ Range Rover picture is a Sport, not the full size which is what I think Aviator closely resembles. Sorry to keep off topic, back to the Q8!
I chose the Sport because the slanting roof line best resembles it, so will the price. The upcoming Aviator is going to be classified as a mid-size luxury SUV, so is the current and future Explorer (sans 'luxury') despite the mammoth size. The Expedition and Range Rover are both classified as full-size SUVs.
Old 06-09-18, 01:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

hope that aviator ends up looking as good in production...
Old 06-09-18, 11:00 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
hope that aviator ends up looking as good in production...
According to one of Ford's press releases, the concept is virtually the high end production product. The surprise to me was that the platform support both FWD and RWD architecture. This could be the platform for a new Town Car assuming that cars survive the SUV fad.

I assume that there is a new Explorer on the same platform but haven't seen pictures.
Old 06-09-18, 11:31 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I like it. Not everyone needs or wants to stand out when they have some money and want a solid SUV. I think this will appeal to the smart buyer who has some restraint and good taste in vehicles. Audi should do well with it.
Old 06-10-18, 10:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,738 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I like it. Not everyone needs or wants to stand out when they have some money and want a solid SUV. I think this will appeal to the smart buyer who has some restraint and good taste in vehicles. Audi should do well with it.
But the "smart buyer" isn't typically the buyer that drops $80-100k on a flagship SUV. That buyer wants some flash and pizazz. Why would the "smart buyer" buy this over a Q7 which is much cheaper and more practical? They wouldn't...
Old 06-10-18, 07:10 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
But the "smart buyer" isn't typically the buyer that drops $80-100k on a flagship SUV. That buyer wants some flash and pizazz. Why would the "smart buyer" buy this over a Q7 which is much cheaper and more practical? They wouldn't...
Sure there are. There are loaded people out there who are smart with their money and are not bitten by the bling and glitz syndrome. They may have a wad of money earmarked for something premium, but don't need or want to stand out and make a huge statement. Audi cars have often fit that bill- understated, modern, and nicely finished. The Q8 is just at the extreme end of it.
Old 06-11-18, 05:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Sure there are. There are loaded people out there who are smart with their money and are not bitten by the bling and glitz syndrome. They may have a wad of money earmarked for something premium, but don't need or want to stand out and make a huge statement. Audi cars have often fit that bill- understated, modern, and nicely finished. The Q8 is just at the extreme end of it.
I agree those people are certainly out there, but why would they choose a Q8 over a cheaper and more practical Q7?

Old 06-11-18, 06:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I agree those people are certainly out there, but why would they choose a Q8 over a cheaper and more practical Q7?
Why do people choose x6 over x5?
Old 06-11-18, 04:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Why do people choose x6 over x5?
Because they want the sportier, flashier looking vehicle. Makes my point!

The people buying the X6 aren’t the people he’s describing
Old 06-13-18, 12:12 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uhhh, I can't believe people like the new aviator. Its literally a ripoff of the Range Rover. Like wtf? I expected more from an American car company.
Old 06-13-18, 05:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I see a similar roofline in the Aviator, but that’s where the resemblance to a RR ends for me.

Quick Reply: Audi Q8 Debuts