Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Jeep Grand Cherokee will use Alfa platform.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-18, 04:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Next Jeep Grand Cherokee will use Alfa platform.

Perhaps not surprising when one considers the base-platforms of other recent Chrysler products (not all of them, of course, have been successful), the next Jeep Grand Cherokee will also jump on the Italian-sourced bandwagon, this time using the platform of the Alfa Romeo Stelvio SUV, which, despite its quirks, has been embraced by pundits and enthusiasts.

I'm not a terribly big fan of SUVs in general, but I really liked the last JGC, which came out in 2010-2011. IMO, the initial 2011 model drove, in a number of ways, like a luxury sedan, and had the richest-looking interior I ever saw on a Jeep, but it seems that subsequent years (even in the same generation) stiffened the ride slightly, thought not to the point I found objectionable. But I thought the the initial 2011 version was clearly the best of the current generation. We'll see what the next one is like.....but, judging by the personality of the Stelvio, it is likely to be more sport-oriented.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...elvio-platform

Next Jeep Grand Cherokee to use Alfa Romeo Stelvio platform

Kirk Bell

Jun 4, 2018

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee

The departing gift Daimler gave to Chrysler Corporation was the premium platform that has underpinned the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango since the 2011 model year. That architecture has served those vehicles well, but it's time for new bones.

At the Fiat Chrysler Automobiles investor conference in Italy last Friday, Motor Authority asked company CEO Sergio Marchionne for clarification on what will underpin the next Grand Cherokee, and he confirmed it will be the platform used for the Alfa Romeo Stelvio SUV, as well as the Giulia sedan.

"It started originally off the Alfa architecture, which has now been modified and extended to reach both a two-row and a three-row Grand Cherokee," Marchionne said, noting that the platform has been adapted to reflect the requirements of Jeep.

Jeep 2022 roadmap

Timing for the next-generation Grand Cherokee hasn't been announced, but Marchionne said the work for the platform at least has already been done. That could mean the next-generation vehicle will arrive sooner rather than later, perhaps in 2019 or 2020 instead of toward the end of Jeep's five-year plan.

Marchionne's comments may have also let another secret slip. The Jeep 2022 roadmap lists a next-gen Jeep Grand Cherokee as well as a three-row E-segment (mid-size) SUV. Based on Marchionne's comments, it appears that the three-row vehicle will be called Grand Cherokee as well.

From the product plan, we also know that the Grand Cherokee will be the first of the company's products to offer Level 2 self-driving capability. It may arrive in 2020, and it may be on this generation platform or the next. It should be able to brake, accelerate, steer, and change lanes on long highway drives, much like the Cadillac Super Cruise system. Level 3 self-driving technology will arrive by the end of 2021.

We're just reading the tea leaves, but it would make the most sense to add those technologies to the next-generation vehicle, so the timing could be 2020 either as a 2020 or 2021 model year vehicle.

The product plan also shows that the next Grand Cherokee will offer a plug-in hybrid powertrain, though Jeep didn't provide detailed information on that system.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-05-18 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-05-18, 08:54 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Man I hope it can still do off road and tow heavy stuff like the current Grand Cherokee. That's one of the things I love about the current Grand Cherokee, its just as refined as a car based crossover but has much more capability, ie its still a truck and does truck stuff.
Old 08-28-20, 06:23 PM
EricT64
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

I would rather have my ***** hammered flat than give Fiat my money.
Old 08-28-20, 06:26 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

but youd thread necro a 2 year thread
Old 08-28-20, 06:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EricT64

Did you look at, or test-drive, a 124 Spyder? If so, I suspect that I would have been sending you one of these.............

The Spyder, unlike many other Fiat products, was reasonably reliable.....except for the Fiat-sourced engine, it was a mildly-restyled clone of the Mazda Miata.
Old 08-29-20, 04:23 AM
EricT64
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you look at, or test-drive, a 124 Spyder? If so, I suspect that I would have been sending you one of these.............

The Spyder, unlike many other Fiat products, was reasonably reliable.....except for the Fiat-sourced engine, it was a mildly-restyled clone of the Mazda Miata.
I own the real one, a 2013 MX-5 Club. Why on earth would I want to take on Fiat’s infamous quality issues?
Old 08-29-20, 04:28 AM
EricT64
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
but youd thread necro a 2 year thread
I did, It had to be said.
Old 08-29-20, 07:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I own the real one, a 2013 MX-5 Club. Why on earth would I want to take on Fiat’s infamous quality issues?

I understand, but my point was that the 124 Spyder was a redone Miata (and, IMO, better-looking than a Miata....no offense to your 2013). Except for maybe some long-term engine questions, it is likely to be just as reliable as a Miata....they are built in the same Japanese Hiroshima plant, by the same workers and assembly-line procedures.

I suspect that is why the 124 was recently cancelled in the U.S.....many sports-car enthusiasts, because of Fiat's reputation, were afraid to buy or lease it, unaware that it was, in fact, a Miata with a different engine and bodywork. That's why it pays to know where vehicles come from, and what went into their design.
Old 08-31-20, 11:20 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,744 Likes on 1,904 Posts

If those are the two options you would have found yourself with, you must have had a kidnapper with a sick sense of humor.

Besides, if you buy any FCA (Dodge, Ram, Jeep) vehicles, "Fiat" is getting your money. Global mergers are that way. Too bad?
Old 08-31-20, 03:51 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I understand the current GC and a number of other Chrysler products are actually riding on older Mercedes E class platform, which is why they are not as awful as Chrysler products that use Chrysler's own platforms. Switching to an unreliable Fiat platform might just very well be the final nail in Chrysler's coffin.
Old 09-01-20, 12:03 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I understand the current GC and a number of other Chrysler products are actually riding on older Mercedes E class platform, which is why they are not as awful as Chrysler products that use Chrysler's own platforms. Switching to an unreliable Fiat platform might just very well be the final nail in Chrysler's coffin.
Hey...not quite.

This is pure fallacy and a rather tired rumor mill. In 2005, DaimlerChrysler did start development of a unified monocoque utility architecture for both Chrysler SUVs and Mercedes-Benz SUVs, sans GLK and Geländewagen G-Class.

In 2007, DaimlerChrysler infamously split up as designers and engineers were quietly working on the WK2 Grand Cherokee, W166 M-Class, X166 GL, and WD Durango.

Previous WK GC sold from 2004 to 2010, had solid axles. These IFS and IRS equipped unibody crossovers were all destined to use the same architecture.

In early 2008, 3 of 4 model programs achieved both final styling sign off and design freeze (later in 2008).

Due to bankruptcy issues, Chrysler under Cerberus revealed the redesigned 2011 Grand Cherokee at the 2009 NYIAS in April 2009, as a motivator for potential buyers. It later went on sale in mid 2010 and will be redesigned in September 2021 as a 2022 model.

2011 Durango entered production in December 2010 and went on sale in early 2011. It has been updated for 2021 recently.

At MB in 2008, with longer lead times in development, the body design and core targets were defined in 2008 for the 3rd generation ML (GLE), but the W166 didn't arrive until fall 2011 as a 2012 model.

X166 MB GL followed in September 2012 as a 2013 model, after being formally defined in 2009 via core targets and final design.

So, Jeep and Dodge basically debuted the very architecture that Mercedes-Benz would be using until modular MHA came around in 2019 on the new GLE and GLS. The Durango will become a full-size body-on-frame Tahoe competitor in 2023, related to Grand Wagoneer.

The outgoing Jeep Grand Cherokee nor any of FCA's Dodge SUVs have anything to do with any old E class platform. That's just stupid magazine fodder from the 2000s which keeps being bandied about by ignorant journalists and living as fable through forums/comment sections. It's why I hate automotive media in general nowadays. They are utterly careless and lackadaisical with accuracy.

There's no actual E-class basis on any FCA vehicles nor was there any ever.

Back in 1991, Lee Iacocca had approved development of a new LX RWD architecture based off the upcoming LH longitudinal FWD architecture, due in November 1992 for Dodge Intrepid, Eagle Vision, Chrysler Concorde, as well as New Yorker and LHS big sedans in early 1993.

A lot of people try to pin the K Car platform as Iacocca's only creation. His legacy still remains somewhat in the current Dodge Charger and many vehicles launched after he left in December 1992. The last vehicle designed under his leadership was the 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ, signed off in late 1992, ahead of core engineering kickoff for 1996 intro.

His replacement in Robert Eaton botched a timely launch of a new RWD line of full-sized Chryslers, so when the 2nd gen LH cars were introduced in 1997 and 1998, they were halted by Daimler-Benz and delayed the LX effort to accommodate MB.

In 1999, they revealed the Dodge Charger Concept at Detroit and another RWD Chrysler concept in January 2000.

In 2000, the first of the LX RWD cars were finished with styling under famed design chief Tom Gale, responsible for Viper and many other Chrysler icons. He retired in December 2000 and resurfaced in 2004 at reveal of 300C.

2000 Chrysler Internal Design Study "Nassau"

The 300C and Dodge Magnum were signed off in late 2000, ahead of their 2004 intros. Dodge Interceptor appearance e was approved by 2002 and became the 2006 Dodge Charger in an 11th hour rename in 2004 pre-production. It was launched in June 2005.

Mapping out that timeline and from what I recall, these cars share components with the facelift W220 S-Class launched in September 2002 and W211 E-Class launched in March 2002. They have no relation to any 90s Mercedes Benz cars like has been passed around for years. That was the case with the Chrysler Crossfire and original SLK R170, but not these cars.

FCA has gone out of their way since the 2011 redesigns and 2015 heavy facelifts, to eliminate or distance themselves from any connection to Daimler Chrysler.

Only the floor pan and minor components at this point have any connection to the DaimlerChrysler era (ie window switches).

Last edited by Carmaker1; 09-01-20 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-01-20, 09:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
A lot of people try to pin the K Car platform as Iacocca's only creation. His legacy still remains somewhat in the current Dodge Charger and many vehicles launched after he left in December 1992. The last vehicle designed under his leadership was the 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ, signed off in late 1992, ahead of core engineering kickoff for 1996 intro.
I believe the Viper was also developed and launched during Lido's watch, but, of course, it was a low-production vehicles, and never did have very many sales. Lido had been gone for some five or six years when the disastrous Plymouth Prowler was introduced.

In 1999, they revealed the Dodge Charger Concept at Detroit
If I remember correctly, that was a natural-gas vehicle, and painted a weird shade of metalflake orange. I remember seeing it at the D.C auto show.

That was the case with the Chrysler Crossfire and original SLK R170, but not these cars.
IMO it was a real shame that the SLK-based Crossfire did not succeed. I thought it had excellent looks, though it also had strong competition from the slightly larger 2-seat Ford Thunderbird.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-01-20 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-01-20, 10:09 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good write up Carmaker, for years I though that Chrysler 300 rode on E class platform, and I also thought that the current GC rode on the ML platform.

My parents did own a 2005 GC, and it was an utter POS in every imaginable way. I understand the current one is a huge improvement, but I also think a Fiat platform might be a step back.
Old 09-02-20, 12:00 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I believe the Viper was also developed and launched during Lido's watch, but, of course, it was a low-production vehicles, and never did have very many sales. Lido had been gone for some five or six years when the disastrous Plymouth Prowler was introduced.

If I remember correctly, that was a natural-gas vehicle, and painted a weird shade of metalflake orange. I remember seeing it at the D.C auto show.

IMO it was a real shame that the SLK-based Crossfire did not succeed. I thought it had excellent looks, though it also had strong competition from the slightly larger 2-seat Ford Thunderbird.
I didn't mention the Viper, since many know well enough he presented it himself (3 times) in 1989 as a concept, upon announcing production plans in March 1990, and in 1992 at intro.

I was trying to strictly highlight models that were in development and not yet revealed. Such as all 1996 models and a few 1997 models. They had his executive input.

He left in December 1992, before production began in 1997. Prowler originated under Iacocca in 1990 and became a production vehicle during his consultation as an advisor in 1993.

1990 scale model Prowler Concept

January 1993 NAIAS Prowler Concept

However, production aspect of it was entirely his successor Eaton.

Good memory regarding Charger. CNG indeed! Interesting how D.C. had this on display.

LOL,vI'm not going to get into discussing the Thunderbird which was an utter failure unfortunately, so both of them didn't do well it seems.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 09-02-20 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-02-20, 12:16 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Och
Good write up Carmaker, for years I though that Chrysler 300 rode on E class platform, and I also thought that the current GC rode on the ML platform.

My parents did own a 2005 GC, and it was an utter POS in every imaginable way. I understand the current one is a huge improvement, but I also think a Fiat platform might be a step back.
Me too! I really was annoyed it was a dumb magazine claim that spread like wildfire. It wasn't a 1996 E-Class like they claimed.

ML architecture is very correct and only changed when GLE was redesigned as W167 last year. 2005 WK GC was plasticky crap thanks to Daimler and thankfully made a leap in 2010.

it depends on how well they engineer the end product. One hopes that they give due diligence with the WL. So far, interior looks good (signed off 2017 &#128534

Last edited by Carmaker1; 09-02-20 at 12:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Next Jeep Grand Cherokee will use Alfa platform.