Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 bmw x5

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-18, 11:53 AM
chyeea03
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don’t get it guys lol, this X5 looks at least as different as a 7ES vs a 6ES and I can clearly tell the difference between this and the outgoing X5 from every angle.

I think youre being being a little unfair. How different should they make it?!
As big a difference as the 4LS to 5LS so people can complain
Old 06-07-18, 12:07 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Beauty is inside. Now new generation X3 is out, X5 has justify it's value compared to X3
Old 06-07-18, 11:40 PM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Maybe a few here can shed some light on the following. I do not own a vehicle with interior accent lighting. But it seems to be the trend on today's German or luxury cars. At least in photos, it looks very distracting. When driving at night, wouldn't having a glowing beam of light off to the side capture one's attention, and thus be a distraction? If so, then perhaps people turn down the intensity (?). If that is done, then what is the point of even offering such an accent if most people dim it down? I keep coming up with these old-fashioned thoughts that I may be getting old and grumpy, but I like my car without nannies and without a disco lightshow inside. Simple, basic, undistracted driving, where straight-ahead is the focus, with minimal reflections.
So either these lighting accents are not distracting and I don't know because I don't own one, or they are, and adding to the on-going list of in-cabin hazards.
Those interior led lights are adjustable, you can change the color to match your preference and mood, you can also change the light strength, believe me they are very beautiful in the night, not distracting driver.
Old 06-08-18, 05:12 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Beauty is inside. Now new generation X3 is out, X5 has justify it's value compared to X3
The X3 interior is horrendous imo. Even current X5 is on different level.

I just test drove a X3 M40i and was shocked with the cheap plastics and the whole dash design is crooket.
The M40i also does NOT have an M steering wheel in US market which many ppl are pissed about.
The car is great to drive and the exhaust in Sport+ mode is awesome.
Old 06-09-18, 07:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

I just test drove a X3 M40i and was shocked with the cheap plastics and the whole dash design is crooket.
The M40i also does NOT have an M steering wheel in US market which many ppl are pissed about.
I think that the new X3 is a major improvement over the last one. I had a few previous gen X3 loaners, and they were garbage. I have not driven the new one, but I sat in one, and it was pretty nice.
Old 06-10-18, 10:00 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't heard of anybody else feeling this way. General consensus is that the X3's interior is excellent in quality. I have it right there with the Q5.
Old 06-10-18, 10:02 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Whenever a new BMW is unveiled the haters on the internet come out of their holes. I'm speaking about other places not ClubLexus.

Anyhow, this is a home run. For those of us who have been loyal to the X5 for generations BMW has delivered. The grille is huge but aside from that the exterior is nice and the interior is finally modern, unlike the F15 which was a very warmed over E70. The tech looks very impressive too. BMW will sell a ton of these.

I hope the driving dynamics resemble the E70 more as the F15 was super "meh" to drive.
Old 06-10-18, 10:03 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Maybe a few here can shed some light on the following. I do not own a vehicle with interior accent lighting. But it seems to be the trend on today's German or luxury cars. At least in photos, it looks very distracting. When driving at night, wouldn't having a glowing beam of light off to the side capture one's attention, and thus be a distraction? If so, then perhaps people turn down the intensity (?). If that is done, then what is the point of even offering such an accent if most people dim it down? I keep coming up with these old-fashioned thoughts that I may be getting old and grumpy, but I like my car without nannies and without a disco lightshow inside. Simple, basic, undistracted driving, where straight-ahead is the focus, with minimal reflections.
So either these lighting accents are not distracting and I don't know because I don't own one, or they are, and adding to the on-going list of in-cabin hazards.
(1) It's not distracting, and (2) one can easily dim the brightness, change the color, or shut it off completely.

Ambient lighting adds so much to the ambience at night.
Old 06-10-18, 10:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Agreed, ambient lighting is awesome IMHO. Not distracting at all.
Old 06-10-18, 11:25 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Haven't heard of anybody else feeling this way. General consensus is that the X3's interior is excellent in quality. I have it right there with the Q5.
Well im definitely not a BMW hater but i call them out when they are wrong.

Putting a non Msport steering wheel on a M40i in US market is WEAK.
The dash design and cheap shiny black trim is not appealing.
Is it better than previous generation - yes but thats not saying much.
I think the GLC and new RDX have better interior.

Old 06-10-18, 06:20 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Well im definitely not a BMW hater but i call them out when they are wrong.

Putting a non Msport steering wheel on a M40i in US market is WEAK.
The dash design and cheap shiny black trim is not appealing.
Is it better than previous generation - yes but thats not saying much.
I think the GLC and new RDX have better interior.

I had the last generation x4 m35 or m40 loaner, and I don't even remember whether it had the M steering wheel. Was a lot of fun, and I wish BMW would make real X3M/X4M for those who do not want the bulkiness of X5M/X6M.
Old 06-10-18, 07:25 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

.....broke open the segment by being the first luxury crossover to deliver a premium-car-like experience.

Huh? Ever heard of the RX? Total BMW bias.
Old 06-10-18, 07:51 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rogerh00
.....broke open the segment by being the first luxury crossover to deliver a premium-car-like experience.

Huh? Ever heard of the RX? Total BMW bias.
RX is pretentious rather than premium, based on the wrong wheel drive Camry platform, and doesn't compete in real premium segment.

The original ML was horrendous quality, body on frame platform, that didn't have any kind of premium feel.

The X5 did have its own share of shortcomings, especially when it came to reliability, but it was based on the proven 5 series platform, and felt and drove like a premium vehicle with excellent dynamics.
Old 06-10-18, 08:04 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
I had the last generation x4 m35 or m40 loaner, and I don't even remember whether it had the M steering wheel. Was a lot of fun, and I wish BMW would make real X3M/X4M for those who do not want the bulkiness of X5M/X6M.
Well it's your lucky day, there will be a full blown ///M for this new X3. Lot of spy shots and Nurburgring vids on Bimmerpost for your viewing pleasure.
Old 06-11-18, 05:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I’ve never heard anybody credit BMW for creating the luxury crossover market lol, everybody credits Lexus I’ve ever heard.

Quick Reply: 2019 bmw x5