Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 bmw x5

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-18, 06:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I’ve never heard anybody credit BMW for creating the luxury crossover market lol, everybody credits Lexus I’ve ever heard.
If you are referring to the original RX300, that's generally correct, although part of it, of course, depends on what one defines as a "luxury" crossover. The original Jeep Grand Cherokee, which had a unibody chassis (which is part of what defines a crossover) dates back to the early 1990s, several years before the first RX.
Old 06-11-18, 06:12 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

AFAIC, Lexus is yet to enter the luxury cross over market.
Old 06-11-18, 06:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

The x5 and rx are both wildly successful and i doubt there's much cross shopping.

drivers of one probably wouldn't want to be seen in the other,
Old 06-11-18, 06:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
You don't consider the RX a luxury vehicle? I agree that the huge spindle-grille and floating-roofline effect seriously detract from its looks. But drive one, and I think you will find it quite worthy of the luxury-crosssover class, especially the non-F-Sport versions with the softer-riding suspension and tires.
Old 06-11-18, 11:11 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You don't consider the RX a luxury vehicle? I agree that the huge spindle-grille and floating-roofline effect seriously detract from its looks. But drive one, and I think you will find it quite worthy of the luxury-crosssover class, especially the non-F-Sport versions with the softer-riding suspension and tires.
Anything built on top of the disposable Camry platform is not a true luxury car.
Old 06-11-18, 02:49 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,742 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Anything built on top of the disposable Camry platform is not a true luxury car.
Why's that? Audi builds cars based on VW platforms, and BMW builds X1 which is based on a Mini platform. Are they not true luxury cars either?

Not to get off topic or anything. Just curious.

I mean having driven an RX, it is at least doing a reasonably good imitation of a luxury vehicle.
Old 06-11-18, 03:53 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by arentz07
Why's that? Audi builds cars based on VW platforms, and BMW builds X1 which is based on a Mini platform. Are they not true luxury cars either?

Not to get off topic or anything. Just curious.

I mean having driven an RX, it is at least doing a reasonably good imitation of a luxury vehicle.
You've nailed it.
Old 06-11-18, 08:08 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,742 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
You've nailed it.
Actually I think the RX is a luxury vehicle; I guess the eye roll was too subtle.

Last edited by arentz07; 06-13-18 at 07:44 AM. Reason: clarifying because reading comprehension
Old 06-12-18, 04:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Buyers would overwhelmingly disagree with you
Old 06-12-18, 04:38 PM
USNVET
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

I had a ES 350 FWD and traded it in before the first oil change (terrible car)

I then upgraded to a GS 350 AWD and kept that for almost a year and I did not really like driving it so I traded it in for aLS 460 L AWD

I did not lose that much on trade in compared to the 2 Mercedes I had as the Benz is a real death trap in the snow and a money pit to maintain

After seeing the hideous grill on the LS newer models I decided to keep thew LS 2011 and buy a BMW 750 IL Xdrive

Now I can see why so many Lexus owners keep their cars for decades

Although the BMW is fun to drive and terrific 0-60 time for a large car the electronics are overwhelming at first and dependability is questionable at best

Shame Lexus had a great design and then changed it for the worse or I would have traded mine in when it hit 30,000 miles

Last edited by USNVET; 06-12-18 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-12-18, 04:49 PM
USNVET
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arentz07
Actually I think it IS a luxury vehicle; I guess the eye roll was too subtle.
If you think the IS is a Luxury car you would love Subaru Legacy
Old 06-12-18, 04:55 PM
USNVET
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Och
Having had a ES 350 FWD and the GS 350 AWD

The only car that I would consider a true luxury car is the LS it sure is a lot more comfortable then the new BMW 750 IL Xdrive The BMW was several thousand more then the LS and it is not worth it ,. So I ended up keeping both
Old 06-12-18, 05:00 PM
USNVET
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Quite disappointing. Virtually indistinguishable from it's predecessor. Yet added very odd shapes at certain spots, which seems to be a fetish of BMW lately. What's up with the # "1" symbol front air intakes? What's with all these stupid notches in all the cut-outs? And why notch out the bottom corners of the tailpipe tips? Then we go to the other extreme with the plain and boring Jeep Grand Cherokee/Kia Optima taillights. BMW had always displayed some decent lighting out back, but now the back is a generic let-down. This will sell because it's a BMW, not because it's treads any special ground.
The ONLY luxury cars are either my LS 460 L AWD or my 750 IL X drive all the rest are just as road worthy as a Subaru Legacy and the Subaru is a heck of a lot more dependable then the Mercedes or the BMW

If German luxury cars are the ultimate driving machines then why did I take over a $10,000 hit as soon as I left the parking lot ?
Old 06-12-18, 05:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Having had the ES, GS and the LS I would say they're all "luxury cars" what differs is the cost of entry, and what comes with the price of entry is the quality of the product....like anything else. Of course my (and your) LS460L is a better car than an ES350...they cost twice as much.
Old 06-12-18, 10:20 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Man you all are a bunch of snobs saying the RX isn't a "real" luxury car because it shares its chassis with a Toyota Camry. Go look at a Mercedes E-class, they are sold as taxi's in Germany, same car, vinyl interior(hell that still might be standard in US spec cars), sub 150hp diesel engine, older ones had manual gearboxes. Even going back before the E-class to the late 70's/early 80's W123 sedan, the infamous "240D" diesel Benz. Those were taxi's in Germany, they sold the same damn car with the same damn engine here in America for a huge markup because we are so status obessed and they could get away with it. Same thing with Cadillac and Lincoln(well post suicide door days) back in the 60's/70's, granted they had unique engines, but the frame/suspension design was the same on an Impala as a Deville, same on a Thunderbird as Mark V.

Quick Reply: 2019 bmw x5