Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 bmw x5

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-18, 07:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chocolate
@Och have driven current X5 and RX. Both are great to drive on the road. The X5 has slight handling advantage with less body roll - to be expected, but the RX has better ride (no runflats), better reliability, and better resale.
I like keeping more of my own money on both resale and maintenance and not wasting time in the shop so I'll stay with Lexus.
The RX uses large subframe and suspension bushings that provide isolated ride that make an impression of being smooth, at the expense of being wobbly, and its body twisting like a tin can if you dare to toss it into a fast turn. The X5 is far more sophisticated, they are not anywhere close in class, and it becomes evident from the moment you shut the door to the first turn of the wheel.

Reliability has been a weak point for the X5, but they have improved quite a bit. I still have my 2012 X5, and it did have a lot of repairs done to it during warranty period, but most parts were replaced with revised ones. Has been pretty solid for the last two years.
Old 06-14-18, 11:19 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

RX uses cheap economy car FWD platform that features very basic suspension geometry.
It has zero aluminum or carbon fiber components. The AWD system is not advanced.

This has significant disadvantages when you compare it to X5 in terms of ride quality, handling, high speed stability, off road prowess etc.

Speaking of cheap,

How about the rear climate ***** falling apart in a late model X5? Saw it myself.

Also had a customer with brand new M3 (I sold it to him) who picked up his brand new car with a defective differential at the Performance Center. He was very happy.

My father has a 6 series that has been OK. I'm just cheap and don't like shelling out for repairs. I have seen the BMW repair orders and have no interest in that.

I like a lot of their designs and the iDrive interface and cameras (best in industry) are better than Lexus'. For me, the current generation RX rides very well while offering good handling. If I didn't have a LX, I would have an RX. It does a very good job at everything at a reasonable price in the space.

Last edited by Chocolate; 06-14-18 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-15-18, 04:48 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Chocolate
Speaking of cheap,

How about the rear climate ***** falling apart in a late model X5? Saw it myself.

Also had a customer with brand new M3 (I sold it to him) who picked up his brand new car with a defective differential at the Performance Center. He was very happy.

My father has a 6 series that has been OK. I'm just cheap and don't like shelling out for repairs. I have seen the BMW repair orders and have no interest in that.

I like a lot of their designs and the iDrive interface and cameras (best in industry) are better than Lexus'. For me, the current generation RX rides very well while offering good handling. If I didn't have a LX, I would have an RX. It does a very good job at everything at a reasonable price in the space.
You are talking about defective parts or cheap *****.

BTW my brother has current model X5 which he abuses and it has had Zero issues. Its a 2015 which I believe was the 1st MY for this generation.
Prior to that he had X6 also perfect.
Engineering wise BMW is on another level.

You have a warranty - if something breaks BMW fixes it for free.

X5 you can drive at over 100mph and it is solid and composed. RX is wobbly and sloppy at even 80mph!

Last edited by RNM GS3; 06-15-18 at 04:51 AM.
Old 06-15-18, 05:55 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

You are talking about defective parts or cheap *****.

BTW my brother has current model X5 which he abuses and it has had Zero issues. Its a 2015 which I believe was the 1st MY for this generation.
Prior to that he had X6 also perfect.
Engineering wise BMW is on another level.

You have a warranty - if something breaks BMW fixes it for free.

X5 you can drive at over 100mph and it is solid and composed. RX is wobbly and sloppy at even 80mph!

I did have the rear **** fall apart in my wifes X6M, and BMW fixed it right away. The **** isn't cheap, just something engineers overlooked when they designed its assembly. Happens to everyone.

The X5 did have many problems, but it was also very advanced for its time. One of the first moder turbo V8 DI engines. With the revised parts that were replaced under warranty, the only thing we replaced out of warranty were spark plugs and ignition coils which were due for replacement at 30k.
Old 06-15-18, 08:54 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

TBH, German cars have better material and build quality, if Lexus owners drove Lexus like BMW owners did to BMW, Lexus will fall apart more easily.

I drove my brand new ES in Seattle pothole roads for about one year back in 2007, and there are lots of vibration in side the car, even dealer couldn't fix them.
I drove two of my Mercedes E class (350 and 400) on the same roads for even longer time, they are really solid, no any annoying sound.

This also happens on my CT200, and RX450H

When I drove GS and GX in San Jose, CA, there is no such issue because the road condition is much better than Seattle.
Old 06-15-18, 09:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,738 Likes on 1,959 Posts

I've had RXs plenty of times as loaners and have driven them many times at 80MPH, thats just not true. Hell, my Pacifica minivan is solid and composed at 80MPH...in fact I haven't driven any modern car that isn't.

I also see no need to drive any vehicle at 100 MPH, absolute fastest any car I own goes is 85, maybe 90 passing somebody, and like I said my Pacifica, the Kia Sedona I had before that, both my Grand Cherokees, the Lexus ES cars I've owned, the RXs I've had as loaners, all felt plenty solid and composed at those speeds. Hell, so did my wife's Prius.

You're being dramatic. Would I rather have an X5 or an RX on the Autobahn at 120MPH? No question the X5, but for driving Americans do here, the RX is totally stable and safe.
Old 06-15-18, 10:05 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,964 Likes on 2,497 Posts

Is this club-I-Hate-Lexus.com?
Old 06-15-18, 11:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
It has been for a long time lol
Old 06-15-18, 12:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. But I think that, unlike the public-at-large, we try to discuss vehicles honestly here, and, yes, because of the large number of participants in Car Chat, we get a lot of different opinions. A number of us, for example (but by no means all), believe that Lexus products started losing their edge about 10-15 years ago....before that, they were truly an industry standard.
Old 06-15-18, 03:53 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I wouldn't go so far as to say that. But I think that, unlike the public-at-large, we try to discuss vehicles honestly here, and, yes, because of the large number of participants in Car Chat, we get a lot of different opinions. A number of us, for example (but by no means all), believe that Lexus products started losing their edge about 10-15 years ago....before that, they were truly an industry standard.
First I've heard that opinion. My experience ever since my first Lexus, a 2001 RX300 has been flawless. That was 17 years ago. I owned 3 other Lexus (2 RX350's) since and have never had a problem. Maybe your referring to some other model. The RX is by far the most reliable/dependable crossover in the planet and out sells all other "luxury" crossovers (yes Luxury) by far.
Old 06-15-18, 04:31 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I've had RXs plenty of times as loaners and have driven them many times at 80MPH, thats just not true. Hell, my Pacifica minivan is solid and composed at 80MPH...in fact I haven't driven any modern car that isn't.

I also see no need to drive any vehicle at 100 MPH, absolute fastest any car I own goes is 85, maybe 90 passing somebody, and like I said my Pacifica, the Kia Sedona I had before that, both my Grand Cherokees, the Lexus ES cars I've owned, the RXs I've had as loaners, all felt plenty solid and composed at those speeds. Hell, so did my wife's Prius.

You're being dramatic. Would I rather have an X5 or an RX on the Autobahn at 120MPH? No question the X5, but for driving Americans do here, the RX is totally stable and safe.
That has not been my experience at all with RX.
We test drove one recently with my wife and high speed stability is definitely not its strong suit.

I do agree for average American driver its not an issue but my point was to illustrate the engineering advantage of the X5 over RX. I drove down to Miami with my brother back when he had his X6 and was doing 90-100mph on I95 most of the way. At night obviously after 1am.
Old 06-15-18, 04:46 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,964 Likes on 2,497 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Go back in time 7-10 years the discussions were all, well yea Lexus is reliable but boring to satisfy my car lust I have to buy a BMW. I personally think their current lineup is the best Lexus has ever had. The German auto makers are drifting into "boring Lexus" category lately plus their styling for the most part is a bit of a mess.

Also criticism is fine but the over the top hyperbole tossed around here by some is pathetic.
Old 06-15-18, 05:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That has not been my experience at all with RX.
We test drove one recently with my wife and high speed stability is definitely not its strong suit.

I do agree for average American driver its not an issue but my point was to illustrate the engineering advantage of the X5 over RX. I drove down to Miami with my brother back when he had his X6 and was doing 90-100mph on I95 most of the way. At night obviously after 1am.
Of course the X5 is better in that regard, but the RX is totally fine.
Old 06-15-18, 05:31 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Of course the X5 is better in that regard, but the RX is totally fine.
And so is a Toyota Camry, and a bunch of other pedestrian cars.
Old 06-15-18, 06:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
And so is a Toyota Camry, and a bunch of other pedestrian cars.
Yes they are, I don't get your point. Not every car has to be a high speed German machine, not everybody cares about that. Just because something isn't doesn't mean its not a "luxury car".

Quick Reply: 2019 bmw x5