Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I Bought the Cheapest Turbo Porsche in the USA: 1 Year Ownership Report

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-18, 11:49 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Not a fan of the first generation Cayenne, same with the first generation Panamera. I think both look far better in their 2/3 and 2 generations respectively.
Old 06-13-18, 12:10 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
My wife's cousin's hubby said as a general rule, Porsche is a PITA, it's much more expensive and a pain when compared to BMW and MB. This guy restored 3 944's and was complaining all throughout (like the transaxles). When he restored a 635 or a 750, no complaints, it's like he can do it in his sleep. There's a reason why you'll see a 2014 911 Turbo being worked on at an indie
In the early nineties, my dad had a 1979 911 Turbo that he would purposefully leave the keys in with the hopes it would get stolen. Every time the car went in for service, which was often, it was at least $500. My mom called the car "Christine" after the Stephen King novel b/c the car would never start for her. The neighbors used to say they would watch out the window and laugh b/c my mom would come out and have a fit when the car wouldn't start and then my dad would come out and the thing would fire right up. It's too bad they didn't hang onto it, as they are worth a fortune now!
Old 06-14-18, 05:33 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
In the early nineties, my dad had a 1979 911 Turbo that he would purposefully leave the keys in with the hopes it would get stolen. Every time the car went in for service, which was often, it was at least $500. My mom called the car "Christine" after the Stephen King novel b/c the car would never start for her. The neighbors used to say they would watch out the window and laugh b/c my mom would come out and have a fit when the car wouldn't start and then my dad would come out and the thing would fire right up. It's too bad they didn't hang onto it, as they are worth a fortune now!
That should be of a vintage where you could swap ends by letting off the throttle? I remember around summer 1992, my friends and I were test driving all kinds of high end cars (Ferrari in Spring Valley looked at us and walked away without uttering a single word lol). We took a test drive of a 928 and the salesperson lost complete control of the vehicle, very scary actually. He apologized profusely and blamed the tires not being scrubbed in (car had under 10 miles). It was a stick which even with the 928 was a rarity back then. Little did anybody know, the w***ification had started and one day, all vehicles including tractors would be nearly 100% automatics!

as I recall I really liked the dashboard it was real leather, and thought the headlights were cool as was the **** to turn them on, and of course the signature handbrake to the left of the seat...

When a repair shop tells you, you don't want that nice 944 Turbo you pointed out in the shop (indie near me), you really do not. I saw a nice one on eBay, said daily driver, and it was $1,400. Before I could ruin myself, someone else bought it right away, thank goodness.
Old 06-14-18, 10:14 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
Lol, funny story!

I'm pretty surprised how poor Porsche quality is since it usually ranks pretty well in the JD Powers Dependability rankings.
Old 06-14-18, 11:33 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
I'm pretty surprised how poor Porsche quality is since it usually ranks pretty well in the JD Powers Dependability rankings.
owner satisfaction is high, reliability, not so much....

Old 06-14-18, 01:11 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I rented a Cayenne Turbo in Hawaii for 2 weeks. That thing is beautiful BUT I started having electrical issues and the car would Lunge forward while at a stop light. The interior is just so luxurious and eye pleasing I didn't let any of it bother me. Which is what owners probably feel. It turns heads in black with the black rims. If I had money to blow, i'd have one. I did have to let them know at the dealer it was having issues which they marked down and were going to have it looked at.