Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of the Lexus GS around the world

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-18 | 03:28 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by situman
The flexible nature of the TNGA will make the distinction between FWD and RWD a moot point. Also, if RWD handling and balance is such a priority, we would see much higher sales of the GS. If the ES handles somewhere near the current GS with better powertrains and refinement at a lower price, with AWD, where will the GS fit in? The new LS isnt as spacious as one thinks. I sat in both the regular and hybrid and its quite intimate when it comes to interior room. There's literally no room to fit another model between the LS and ES.
The average Jill or Joe who buys any luxury car can’t tell you the difference between oversteer and understeer. I don’t have numbers, but I would say a very small percentage makes their buying decision after reading car magazines comparisons about which car handles better/accelerates/brakes better than one another. Car enthusiast are in a very small minority group that, screams loudly, but hardly has the buying power of the general public white collar consumer who shops between luxury car dealers. My point is they are focused on how the car looks, the prestige and image of the brand and the clout they may gain in their social circle. They also care if it will it get them a up front parking space with the valet at the local country club. Kidding. but seriously this sample size of guys and what few girls we have talking passionately about cars on these forums is not a good representation of the reality we live in.

The average consumers doesn’t know why or what the benefits of a proper rear wheel drive car will have over a front wheel drive car. To be frank 95% of them will never push the car hard enough to ever notice the difference. The ES already has more interior volume than the GS. If the ES grows any larger it will be encroaching on the LS500. No matter what AWD system Toyota Throws at the ES it will never approach the handling capabilities of the 4 gen GS. AWD will increase grip, but it can’t compensate for the laws of physics and for 60 percent of the weight being over the front axle with a traverse mounted engine. Yes Audi has figured a way to get close to what a naturally RWD car can do. But if your pushing a Audi that hard you Best have your diaper on, Because the front end almost always washes out under load from the g forces generated from you driving spiritedly.

The die hard car enthusiast won’t buy the ES no matter what Lexus does with it (myself included). To many of us it’s simply a very nice Camry/Avalon in a very nice Hugo Boss suit. Nothing wrong with the ES either, I owned one when I was very young and couldn’t afford a GS. It will always sell well. But for Lexus to continue claiming Its self as a legitimate sporty luxury car brand they must continue the GS name and try and cater to the enthusiast world they have to keep the GS around for that reason it’s vital to the brands sporty image.

The current GS AWD system is nothing to write home about. The new RAV4 seems to have a new system and on paper seems quite good so it can certainly be adapter to the new ES. Just because the new Crown is getting release is irrelevant. JDM's cars arent always available in other countries. All signs point to the demise of the GS. Can you say "well its just 1 article." But I can always say well you dont have anything refuting it other than your own desire and opinions.
The GA-L platform was a very big investment for TMS. They wouldn’t engineered a expensive platform like this just to be used on a few novelty low volume models such as the Corwn, LS, LC. The further they spread the platform around amongst multiple models the more they can recoup a return on their investment. I can personally vouch TOYOTA is one of the most secretive clients I have ever witness working with. Of course things slip here and there. But for the most part info is shared within the company on a need a to know bases. Just because we haven’t received a bunch of opposing rumors from Lexus doesn’t mean they aren’t secretly working on a skunk works like project that is being hidden in plain sight somewhere. The Crown is mainly sold and marketed to conservatives executives in Japan. I’m not sure why they would be testing a Crown at the Nordschleife. There are two articles supporting my theory. Both have been shared quite a bit here on the forums.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2017/08/...ur-door-coupe/

Cant find the other right now, but it efers to Toyota’s Gazoo Racing program already working on development of the next GS-F. I’ll source the second one when I get a chance.

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
+1 I truly think Infiniti Qs wouldQuestion though: has Acura confirmed of a Turbo V6? I don't think they have. I think they are confirmed for a Turbo 4 for the RDX - a 272 HP engine - which will have less hp but more torque than the outgoing V6. I think this 272HP Turbo 4 will make its way into the TLX at some point to replace the V6.

Side note: I honestly think Acura messed up big time years ago. They could have introduced Turbo 4 onto the TSX with the RDX engine. They would have boosted sales like rockets and crack if they did that.

We are on the same page, regrding Acura turbo charging their next gen V6 engines I heard/read from a publication who talked to Acura at the Detroit show in January at the RDX prototype premier. I remember it stated Acura is really wanting start further differentiating its self more from its Honda brethren. This new RDX is suppose to the first of many new unique Acura’s to be released by Acura in the coming years. I will post the source later tonight. In my opinion Acura is really playing catch-up right now. Their future is starting to look brighter after seeing the production RDX. I hope they make the next MDX more athletic looking like the RDX.

Last edited by highrev6; 04-02-18 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-02-18 | 05:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by highrev6
The die hard car enthusiast won’t buy the ES no matter what Lexus does with it (myself included). To many of us it’s simply a very nice Camry/Avalon in a very nice Hugo Boss suit. Nothing wrong with the ES either, I owned one when I was very young and couldn’t afford a GS. It will always sell well. But for Lexus to continue claiming Its self as a legitimate sporty luxury car brand they must continue the GS name and try and cater to the enthusiast world they have to keep the GS around for that reason it’s vital to the brands sporty image.
As far as I'm concerned, one can be a car enthusiast without being a speed, slalom, High-G-handling, or braking enthusiast. The two sometimes go together....sometimes not. Many car enthusiasts, not necessarily concerned with oversteer or understeer, would feel right at home in an ES. So would I, if the Lacrosse or Impala were not on the market.
Old 04-02-18 | 05:41 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

The flexible nature of the TNGA will make the distinction between FWD and RWD a moot point. Also, if RWD handling and balance is such a priority, we would see much higher sales of the GS. If the ES handles somewhere near the current GS with better powertrains and refinement at a lower price, with AWD, where will the GS fit in? The new LS isnt as spacious as one thinks. I sat in both the regular and hybrid and its quite intimate when it comes to interior room. There's literally no room to fit another model between the LS and ES.
Originally Posted by EZZ
Completely disagree. FWD will always feel like FWD and much less sporty than a proper RWD setup. The new Camry does not feel nearly as well planted and sporty as my IS350 F-sport as the weight is way too heavy up-front even on the newer platform (Lexus dealers are starting to use them as loaners). FWD will always feel vastly inferior to a proper RWD setup in luxury cars and adding AWD still won't make it less nose heavy and sporty. I wish Lexus just killed their FWD derivatives as it dilutes the brand with inferior products.
FWD-based will always feel FWD-based, because the engine, torque converter and gearbox are all in front of the front axle; this applies to the forthcoming 7ES AWD.

With older Audis, the engine, flywheel and torque converter is in front of the front axle, while the gearbox is behind the front axle for a small benefit compared to regular transverse engine FWD like the ES.

With newer Audis, the engine is in front of the front axle, but the flywheel, torque converter and gearbox are all behind the front axle for more benefit again!

Old 04-02-18 | 06:05 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

I don't think the Lexus IS was styling is bad at all. The Lexus design of the grille and L lights design are well-approved by the auto-world. A lot of people love the Lexus UX design. I'll agree. Styling will come across people's heads when purchasing a car. I just believe, based on experience, people will look pass design for brand. Its just a lot of times we have to realize the brand (regardless if luxury or not) can carry the car as a whole. IE: While Toyota cars itself aren't know for luxuries, their brand of Camry and RAV4 is strong, insanely strong. Its known to be a cheap, family-based, fuel efficient, and reliable. You can literally put a piece of dog crap on the car and people will buy it by the boatloads.

I don't think using the New N Platform to compare to the TNGA is a right way of concluding if something is "outdated" or "better". Just because something is "newer" doesn't mean the older product is "outdated". However - I do acknowledge that we are in a tech era now and anything not "new" is considered "outdated". That's why the phone industry is have a field day laughing all the way to the bank by preying on people's insecurities. Consumers today feel like they have to have latest tech or else they'll feel like its "outdated". That's why there so many people buying new iPhone or Androids every year.
I personally agree with you that brand comes before styling.
However, I cannot brand that as a "fact" because I have no evidence, since research sometimes shows styling being considered above the brand, while other research says the other way around.
From a factual point of view, I can only say that both brand and styling are up there amongst the top of buyer's priorities when choosing to purchase a motor vehicle.

I think IS looks quite attractive too, and we have owned 2IS, 3IS and currently own 3.5IS200t for the missus.
The only problem with IS styling relative to C Class and 3 Series, is that we believe the IS comes across as being very sporty, while the German two are more elegantly styled.

Thanks for the total family tree of platforms and chassis for every euro manufacturer. That must of taken some time to compose. But with all that I still didn’t see a strong case where you were able to show us how the Lexus N architecture was or is outdated compared to the it’s European competition. You posted a bunch of dates in reference to when the platform was first used, but no real evidence showing how these platforms are more rigid, lighter, or have superior weight distribution, suspension geometry etc. You did prove that all the Europeans have introduced newer platforms to replace their aging architecture since the Lexus N platform debuted in 2011-‘12, but how long a architecture has been in existence and being inferior aka outdated are two separate points in my opinion.

Below is example of what I mean Lexus is on par with its Euro competition in regards to weight savings, chassis rigidity, and weight balance. You don’t need to use much aluminum to make a light car architecture high strength steel serves well too. The N uses hardly any aluminum and remains competitive on all fronts stated below. Now these numbers are for the the smaller IS350 AWD vs other compact luxury cars. I wanted to use midsize competitiors to compare with the GS, but Audi’s new 2019 A6 is too new to be weighed independently of the manufacturer claims.

Audi S4
3,938 lbs wet(57/43%)
21/30/24

Lexus IS 350 AWD
3,846 lbs wet(54/46%)
19/26/22

Mercedes C43 AMG 4matic
3,831 lbs wet (56/44%)
21/29/24

BMW 340i xdrive
3,731 lbs wet (53/47%)
21/31/25

Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD
3,682 wet (53/47%)
19/27/22

You have to be careful with your comparison above.

(1)
The S4 and C43 AMG are not equivalent to the IS350 AWD & 340i X-Drive.
S4 and C43 AMG would have to be compared to M3/M4 and IS F, but the IS F is no longer in production.
The former two are sports models, and higher up in the price range.

(2)
Worse:
Tare weight is the weight of an empty vehicle with full fluids like oil, coolant and transaxle fluid, but only 10 liters of gasoline in the tank.
Kerb weight is the weight of an empty vehicle with full fluids including a full gasoline tank.
Theoretically, the difference between kerb and tare weight should be the difference between a full gas tank less 10 liters.
However, in practice, the Germans often specify weight to a different standard eg half a fuel tank plus the weight of a 70 kg driver etc!!!
Thus weight comparisons using specs are fraught with danger.

In theory, part aluminium chassis represent the next generation in chassis design, and Lexus agrees with the liberal use of aluminium, but lately, Lexus have been late to the party as usual.

Current IS200t often gets a caning for being slow and thirsty.
In truth, it is just that now the IS is the oldest compact luxury car in its class, esp when the next gen 3 Series arrives next year.
IS is currently the heaviest, hence less performance, and greater fuel consumption.

The GS falls in the same order when you compare it to the midsize competition from the same manufacturer. (With the 4GS weighing less than the equivalent Mercedes V6 AWD). It’s lighter than most of the euro cars it’s competes with 3977 lbs for the wet weight of the mostly steel AWD GS 350 F Sport vs the current 2018 aluminum intensive MRA based E43 AMG 4matic which weighs 4,309. I will assume the next gen GS will gain some weight, let’s say 150lbs with the GA-L transformation it’s only still 4,127 undercuts the E class and most likely it will be better balanced and lighter than the porker 2019 A6 3.0T once we get it’s wet weight. Lexus also uses a very nice suspension design for the front and rear of the GS which complements the N architecture even more so. I stand behind my original post the GS is not out dated in regards to architecture design. The GA-L GS will only get better.
When 4GS weight is compared to old 2010-17 5 Series F10, the 4GS is lighter.
Why?
Because IS and GS actually "shares" platforms, ditto old C and E Classes, meanwhile 2010-17 5 Series and 2012-19 3 Series uses two separate platforms.
That's why the weight of IS/GS and weight of old C & old E Classes fall in between 2012-19 3 Series and 2010-17 5 Series.

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-02-18 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-02-18 | 06:12 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike728
I thought that old spy shot was confirmed to be the new ES? http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...d-testing.html
If you read the new paragraph below the bottom, it says:

Update: Sources indicate this vehicle is a prototype for neither the Lexus ES or Lexus GS, but for the Toyota Crown sedan. The Crown, which is developed mainly for the Japanese market, is a full-size four-door that shares its rear-wheel drive platform with the Lexus GS.
Old 04-02-18 | 06:18 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Some of the rumors swirling around seem to indicate that Lexus would like to lean towards the ES in Europe. This is new, because the ES hasn't been sold there previously. This adds credibility to the idea that the GS goes away and the ES takes its place. Netherlands magazine AutoRai claims they've confirmed behind the scenes that this is the plan going forward. New platform, new possibilities. The current ES has a great repuation in the US, so maybe Lexus wants to use the global architecture to grab some sales on the European side.

The next gen ES mules have already been seen in testing, so that means they are close to production ready, just like the Avalon. The GS' future in the US remains unclear because, the LS has gotten very sporty compared to past versions, but is also priced into six figures. Then you have the IS which is very sporty and nicely styled but is smaller inside. Maybe the GS never found the sweet spot.
Old 04-02-18 | 07:35 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by peteharvey

(1)
The S4 and C43 AMG are not equivalent to the IS350 AWD & 340i X-Drive.
The former two are sports models, and higher up in the price range.

(2)
Worse:
Tare weight is the weight of an empty vehicle with full fluids like oil, coolant and transaxle fluid, but only 10 liters of gasoline in the tank.
Kerb weight is the weight of an empty vehicle with full fluids including a full gasoline tank.
Theoretically, the difference between kerb and tare weight should be the difference between a full gas tank less 10 liters.
However, in practice, the Germans often specify weight to a different standard eg half a fuel tank plus the weight of a 70 kg driver.
Thus weight comparisons using specs are fraught with danger.

In theory, part aluminium chassis represent the next generation in chassis design, and lately, Lexus have been late to the party as usual.
In truth, it is just that now the IS is the oldest compact luxury car in its class, esp when the next gen 3 Series arrives next year.
IS is currently the heaviest, hence less performance, and greater fuel consumption.
The S4 is $51k base and 55k loaded. The IS350 F Sport with AWD and a few option cost $52k, The C43 is $53k base MSRP.
I try to keep things simple, so that there is no confusion. All the vehicle weights I posted were from Motor Trend.

The C43 isn’t a legitimate AMG. In fact it’s had 3 names since it debut in 2015. Initially it was named the C400 4matic with the AMG Sport package. Than in ‘16 Mercedes relaunched it with a new name calling it the C450 AMG 12 months later the marketing department decided it was time for a 3rd name change. This time they thought it would sell better if they called it a AMG, so they started selling as the C43 AMG 4matic. So initially it was a IS350 F Sport AWD competitior and it kinda still is.
https://www.leftlanenews.com/mercede...017-91589.html

Many years ago Audi sold a A4 V6 Quattro, but it was dropped after the ‘09 MY because it was too similar to the S4. So as of 2010 if you wanted a V6 A4 you are forced to move up to the sporty S4. It wasn’t my call to compare it to the IS and 3 series, but all the big publications run it with the likes of the 335i/340i M Sport and IS350 F Sport when they do their compact sport sedan comparisons every so many years. BMW is supposedly giving the 340i the axe once the redesign G20 model arrives. The new one suppose to be called the M340i, so if you want a i6 3 series you’ll be forced to buy one with all the BMW M factory accessory equipment. Lexus could potentially go the same route with the GA-L IS.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/09/25/bm...rfect-sleeper/

Originally Posted by MattyG
Some of the rumors swirling around seem to indicate that Lexus would like to lean towards the ES in Europe. This is new, because the ES hasn't been sold there previously. This adds credibility to the idea that the GS goes away and the ES takes its place. Netherlands magazine AutoRai claims they've confirmed behind the scenes that this is the plan going forward. New platform, new possibilities. The current ES has a great repuation in the US, so maybe Lexus wants to use the global architecture to grab some sales on the European side.

The next gen ES mules have already been seen in testing, so that means they are close to production ready, just like the Avalon. The GS' future in the US remains unclear because, the LS has gotten very sporty compared to past versions, but is also priced into six figures. Then you have the IS which is very sporty and nicely styled but is smaller inside. Maybe the GS never found the sweet spot.
I think the ES will face even tougher competition in the EU than it did here in the states. Less competition can be good for the ES, but when your talking about it competing aginst the established 3 German juggernauts that’s a another ball game. The Europeans won’t be fooled easily into buying a Camry/Avalon dressed in a Hugo Boss suit. If the GS wasn’t able to take a chunk of the European executive car market and it’s was on sale there for 25 years I don’t think the ES will stand a chance.
Old 04-02-18 | 07:42 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

+1
Question though: has Acura confirmed of a Turbo V6? I don't think they have. I think they are confirmed for a Turbo 4 for the RDX - a 272 HP engine - which will have less hp but more torque than the outgoing V6. I think this 272HP Turbo 4 will make its way into the TLX at some point to replace the V6.
finally found that article I referenced earlier today. It’s rumored that Acura may be returning to type S models in the future and there is a possibility of a turbo V6 in the works.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...g-a-spec-model

Old 04-02-18 | 09:21 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

The S4 is $51k base and 55k loaded. The IS350 F Sport with AWD and a few option cost $52k, The C43 is $53k base MSRP.
I try to keep things simple, so that there is no confusion. All the vehicle weights I posted were from Motor Trend.

The C43 isn’t a legitimate AMG. In fact it’s had 3 names since it debut in 2015. Initially it was named the C400 4matic with the AMG Sport package. Than in ‘16 Mercedes relaunched it with a new name calling it the C450 AMG 12 months later the marketing department decided it was time for a 3rd name change. This time they thought it would sell better if they called it a AMG, so they started selling as the C43 AMG 4matic. So initially it was a IS350 F Sport AWD competitior and it kinda still is.
https://www.leftlanenews.com/mercede...017-91589.html

Many years ago Audi sold a A4 V6 Quattro, but it was dropped after the ‘09 MY because it was too similar to the S4. So as of 2010 if you wanted a V6 A4 you are forced to move up to the sporty S4. It wasn’t my call to compare it to the IS and 3 series, but all the big publications run it with the likes of the 335i/340i M Sport and IS350 F Sport when they do their compact sport sedan comparisons every so many years. BMW is supposedly giving the 340i the axe once the redesign G20 model arrives. The new one suppose to be called the M340i, so if you want a i6 3 series you’ll be forced to buy one with all the BMW M factory accessory equipment. Lexus could potentially go the same route with the GA-L IS.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/09/25/bm...rfect-sleeper/
highrev6, you have great expertise in these sports models.
I myself rarely look past a C300 fully equipped.
Old 04-02-18 | 11:10 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

The average Jill or Joe who buys any luxury car can’t tell you the difference between oversteer and understeer. I don’t have numbers, but I would say a very small percentage makes their buying decision after reading car magazines comparisons about which car handles better/accelerates/brakes better than one another. Car enthusiast are in a very small minority group that, screams loudly, but hardly has the buying power of the general public white collar consumer who shops between luxury car dealers. My point is they are focused on how the car looks, the prestige and image of the brand and the clout they may gain in their social circle. They also care if it will it get them a up front parking space with the valet at the local country club. Kidding. but seriously this sample size of guys and what few girls we have talking passionately about cars on these forums is not a good representation of the reality we live in.

The average consumers doesn’t know why or what the benefits of a proper rear wheel drive car will have over a front wheel drive car. To be frank 95% of them will never push the car hard enough to ever notice the difference. The ES already has more interior volume than the GS. If the ES grows any larger it will be encroaching on the LS500. No matter what AWD system Toyota Throws at the ES it will never approach the handling capabilities of the 4 gen GS. AWD will increase grip, but it can’t compensate for the laws of physics and for 60 percent of the weight being over the front axle with a traverse mounted engine. Yes Audi has figured a way to get close to what a naturally RWD car can do. But if your pushing a Audi that hard you Best have your diaper on, Because the front end almost always washes out under load from the g forces generated from you driving spiritedly.

Agreed with this 100%. Your average luxury consumer will most likely not know what understeer or oversteer is. Heck, they probably don't even know the difference between HP and torque. I have been to so many dealerships in my day, some times for fun to check out the newer vehicles, to have a salesperson tell me: "this car has a (blank) amount of HP - its fast." And your everyday average consumer will believe that HP is the number to look - when reality its torque.

I definitely agree. Car enthusiasts makes up a small percent of the auto world. This is why YouTube channel about cars usually never get popular or rarely get popular. We car enthusiasts are always usually the one that think day in and day out, compare vehicles, debate vehicle stats, and then make a hard choice of what to buy.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As far as I'm concerned, one can be a car enthusiast without being a speed, slalom, High-G-handling, or braking enthusiast. The two sometimes go together....sometimes not. Many car enthusiasts, not necessarily concerned with oversteer or understeer, would feel right at home in an ES. So would I, if the Lacrosse or Impala were not on the market.
I agree with this too. People that are car enthusiast can buy almost any car. At the end of the day - the VIP Scene, Tuner Scene, Muscle scene, and Euro Scene are all car enthusiasts people. We do something we all love - cars. However - I think highrev6 was merely stating its more often than not its a non-car-enthusiast that buys the Lexus ES. While I agree car enthusiasts can buy any car, I also agree that majority of the time the car enthusiasts won't buy the Lexus ES. It just doesn't fit anywhere. The Lexus ES isn't popular in the VIP scene nor the tuner scene.

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I personally agree with you that brand comes before styling.
However, I cannot brand that as a "fact" because I have no evidence, since research sometimes shows styling being considered above the brand, while other research says the other way around.
From a factual point of view, I can only say that both brand and styling are up there amongst the top of buyer's priorities when choosing to purchase a motor vehicle.

I think IS looks quite attractive too, and we have owned 2IS, 3IS and currently own 3.5IS200t for the missus.
The only problem with IS styling relative to C Class and 3 Series, is that we believe the IS comes across as being very sporty, while the German two are more elegantly styled.

That's the interesting about marketing - its playing people's emotions that can sway at any moment. I mean, at times, in business meetings for my company, we would sit there and throw out random ideas to have a collect brain storm. A lot of times - these ideas aren't backed on any research but personal experiences that top people on our team share. Then you take these ideas, run a trial, and see if it yields effects. While there is no 100% statistical proof that brand is before styling, one can conclude with an educated guess its most likely brand first.

I do agree with you on the IS, C-Class and 3 Series styling. The Lexus IS is definitely more a sport style versus the C-Class and 3 Series. I would only say the C-Class and 3 Series look more elegant in terms of luxury design if it comes loaded. A standard looking C-Class/3 Series without those lighting packages make the car look cheaper than a Honda Civic. *No offense to Honda Civics.

I disagree with you here though. While based on model year birthday the Lexus IS and Infiniti Q50 might be the oldest, but the C-Class and Acura TLX are only 1 year younger and they all have different life-cycles. <--- I believe because of life-cycles the definition of "old" gets rather mixed because they all get to the next model at around the same time. IE: I mean - one can say the Mercedes-Benz C-Class is the oldest car because it'll likely be the last one to get a next gen model based on its 7 year cycle. By that time - all the cars within its competition would have been on next gen already.
2014 Lexus IS - IS will likely see a new gen in 2020 for MY2021 based on a 7 year life-cycle (first gen was 7 years/second gen was 8 years life-cycles)
2014 Infiniti Q50 - Q50 will likely see a next gen in 2020 for MY2021 based on a 7 year life cycle (V36 G was a 7 year life-cycle)
2015 C-Class - C-Class will likely see a next gen in 2021 for MY2022 based on a 7 year life cycle (All models of the C-Class was based off of 7 years life-cycles)
2015 TLX - TLX will likely see a next gen in 2020 for MY2021 based on a 6 year life cycle (Acura TSX (2nd gen) Acura TL (4th gen) was both 6 years life-cycles)

Lexus IS300 (Turbo) MPG: 22 City / 32 Hwy
Infiniti Q50 2.0T MPG: 23 City / 30 Hwy
C-Class MPG: 24 City / 33 Hwy
Acura TLX Inline 4 MPG: 24 City / 33 Hwy
Audi A4 FWD 2.0T MPG: 27 City / 37 Hwy
BMW 320i MPG: 24 City / 35 Hwy

^^^As for MPG - the leaders within the competition the Lexus Turbo competes in are the BMW 320i and Audi A4. However, for the Lexus IS300 (turbo), Q50 2.0T, C-Class and TLX MPG are so close to each other, with a deviation of 1-2, its hardly an argument to say those cars have better mpg. Given the fact that the C-Class is on a lighter new modular platform (MRA) and only beat the Lexus by 1-2 MPG for city/hwy. (granted the C-Class is more powerful and competes with the Lexus IS350.)
If we are comparing the Lexus IS300 (Turbo) to the 330i, Q50 3.0T, C-Class, TLX V6, A4 Quattro 2.0T, then obviously the Lexus IS300 Turbo would be the slowest because it doesn't compete with these cars at all. The Lexus IS300 would be the only one in this competition with a price tag of under 45K loaded while everything else is over 52K loaded. The Lexus IS350 is the trim that competes here.
The Lexus IS300 Turbo is better suited versus the 320i, Q50 2.0T, TLX Inline 4 and Audi A4 FWD 2.0T. In this competition, all the cars are priced within the 40-45K range loaded. This makes more sense. Here we will see the Lexus IS300 Turbo performs the best out of all of them.

While I agree the Lexus IS300 Turbo is underpowered compared to other Turbo cars in the 50K range, the Lexus IS300 Turbo doesn't compete there. And within its competition, its the best performing vehicle.

finally found that article I referenced earlier today. It’s rumored that Acura may be returning to type S models in the future and there is a possibility of a turbo V6 in the works.

I will take a look. Thanks!
Old 04-02-18 | 11:25 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

I disagree with you here though.While based on model year birthday the Lexus IS and Infiniti Q50 might be the oldest, but the C-Class and Acura TLX are only 1 year younger and they all have different life-cycles. <--- I believe because of life-cycles the definition of "old" gets rather mixed because they all get to the next model at around the same time.
I meant that the current IS is the oldest amongst the four (4) major players in terms of access to modern: lightweight platforms and small capacity turbos.
The current 2012-19 3 Series doesn't use a high content aluminium platform, but it does use a dedicated compact luxury car platform that is more lightweight than "sharing" platforms between a compact and midsize car, which is what IS/GS does.

All four major players tend to use seven (7) year model cycles.
Old 04-03-18 | 02:53 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Or if the Avalon wasn’t on the market. Now that the 2019 Avalon is now offered with actual real wood veneer supplied by Yamaha, electronically adjustable dampers, 1,200 watt stereo, advanced LED Vision Tech headlamps, sequential LED turn signals, 10” color head up display, 9in infotainment screen w/ Apple car play and Alexa. I don’t have any preliminary info on the next gen ES. But this new and improved 5th Gen Avalon basically destroys any argument why one would buy a ES beyond the white glove treatment from the Lexus dealer and the L badge on the grille. I can’t wait to see what Lexus will offer in the ES to differentiate the ES from the Avalon. Panoramic moonroof, power trunk closer, soft close doors maybe?

The 2019 Avalon is now the best car in the front wheel drive near luxury segment.
Old 04-03-18 | 06:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I do find it interesting that people are talking about F models, AMG models, M models, etc... that is not important when we talk about sales at all. Even in the USA, most of the market is 4cly engines now. Just check inventories to see what are the best selling models for 5, E, A6... hint: it is not 6 cylinder let alone M models.
Old 04-03-18 | 08:09 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
I do find it interesting that people are talking about F models, AMG models, M models, etc... that is not important when we talk about sales at all. Even in the USA, most of the market is 4cly engines now. Just check inventories to see what are the best selling models for 5, E, A6... hint: it is not 6 cylinder let alone M models.
There is an almost neurotic obsession with extreme performance (perhaps worse than the obsession with the styling of the spindle grille) in Car Chat, a level at which Lexus does not compete. These contributors will use this to argue that Lexus is not a legitimate luxury car brand and will never be able to compete against the Germans.
Old 04-03-18 | 09:58 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

There are patents for the new Honda/Acura turbo V6 and I believe some designs specs already, it is coming but what vehicles it will be put in is not yet confirmed.

Quick Reply: Future of the Lexus GS around the world