Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of the Lexus GS around the world

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-18 | 02:01 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Not to be a stickler for detail, but Lexus counts as 12% of NA sales of TMC NA. so are those numbers reflective?
True.
TMC = Toyota 88% + Lexus 12%

It goes to show that even Lexus has inferior ROI to Toyota, let alone splurge on bodystyle variations like fastbacks etc.

But then Lexus delivers the image, though not as much of an image as BMW.

Do you want image like BMW AG, or ROI like TMC?
Old 04-18-18 | 04:45 AM
Lead Lap

I would care less, after the 3GS, they all went downhill.
Old 04-18-18 | 04:52 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
+1 Agreed. This is what I have been saying. Its both.

I was just more highlighting on the age aspect rather than the conservative aspect.

I have noticed that too. I'm not sure why people compare Lexus to so much companies at one time. Its stacking the odds against them because there will always be a car that is "better".

I don't think Lexus GS production has ended at all.

If you search on Autotrader, there are about 4 new GS300 and 6 new GS450h nationwide. However, there are 643 new Lexus GS350 on sale nationwide.

If GS production has truly stopped, Lexus would have made a press release but they haven't. What I think is going on is that the GS300 and GS450h is on very limited production (you might have to order it if you want one) and they are only pushing GS350s right now.

Overall - I don't think the Lexus GS is going away. Lexus needs the GS to gap the price space between the ES and LS.
643 units is laughable supply for the GS

We will see by June if there is any new inventory.

Timing makes sense as the ES debut is Next week and it will hit dealers soon after that.
Also numerous publications have reported GS to be done including ones from Japan.
Old 04-18-18 | 05:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Well, I guess either you go for BMW AG's snazzy line up of body styles, and accept their net equity [assets less liabilities] of USD 66 billion dollars.
Or you accept TMC's boring line up of body styles, and cherish their net equity of USD 171 billion dollars [nearly 3x BMW AG's].

Those fancy body styles cost a bit to develop, yet sell in such small numbers.
Like moderator Allen says - ROI - Return on Investment...
have no idea your point and it's conflating different things... just because toyota is 'bigger' somehow makes their lexus vehicles 'better'?
you can say bigger must mean better but by that standard mcdonalds makes the 'best' hambugers in the world.
Old 04-18-18 | 08:21 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 703

I would care less, after the 3GS, they all went downhill.
Many people including me think they went downhill with the 3GS. It was not a well rated car. I thought they redeemed themselves a bit with the 4GS in most areas except for one huge thing, they took away a affordable V8 option which was a huge mistake. Also bad is the 6 cylinder remained mostly the same from the previous gen and it somehow got a little slower.
Old 04-18-18 | 08:41 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
have no idea your point and it's conflating different things... just because toyota is 'bigger' somehow makes their lexus vehicles 'better'?
you can say bigger must mean better but by that standard mcdonalds makes the 'best' hambugers in the world.
I don't think he was saying Toyota makes better cars because they are a "bigger" company. I think hes saying Toyota is a better company, IE: more profitable and more business-smart, than the Germans.
Old 04-18-18 | 01:19 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Sales is sales.
Money is money.
Sales leads to money.
However, just because someone has more money doesn't necessarily mean that they are better than you.

Sure, Toyota Motor Corp has the most equity amongst the auto manufacturers at some US$171 billion, while BMW AG only has some US$66 billion.
Quality is a different topic.
When it comes to quality, it's horses for courses, and each to their own.
Each model has its pros and cons; advantages and disadvantages.
What is great for Jack isn't necessarily great for LexCTJill.
What is best is what best suits our "individual" tastes, wants and needs.

For example.
Canon sells more cameras than all of its competitors added together.
Canon is also said to make more money than all of its competitors profits added together.
However, ask any expert which is better: Canon or Nikon? They will tell you that both Canikon are great, but in different ways...

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-18-18 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-18-18 | 02:08 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Sales is sales.
Money is money.
Sales leads to money.
However, just because someone has more money doesn't necessarily mean that they are better than you.

Sure, Toyota Motor Corp has the most equity amongst the auto manufacturers at some US$171 billion, while BMW AG only has some US$66 billion.

For example.
Canon is also said to make more money than all of its competitors profits added together.
However, ask any expert which is better: Canon or Nikon? They will tell you that both Canikon are great, but in different ways...
Roi seems similiar between bmw and lexus (12% only), and if you verify that then what's the reason for not offering more...
Old 04-18-18 | 02:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Sales is sales.
Money is money.
Sales leads to money.

For example.
before you said sales makes toyota better than lexus. now you're saying quality is...

/exit
Old 04-18-18 | 02:22 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Eh it comes down to what you want from a car company. Do you want them to spend the money for a giant lineup or would you prefer they use it more conservatively and just offer car/engine options that appeal to the masses.
Old 04-18-18 | 02:30 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UDel
Many people including me think they went downhill with the 3GS. It was not a well rated car. I thought they redeemed themselves a bit with the 4GS in most areas except for one huge thing, they took away a affordable V8 option which was a huge mistake. Also bad is the 6 cylinder remained mostly the same from the previous gen and it somehow got a little slower.
yep. I own a late production year gs460 and wouldn’t trade it in for a 4GS. The engine and tranny is so much better than the boring 3.5 v6 they drop into every car.
Old 04-18-18 | 03:56 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Allen K
Eh it comes down to what you want from a car company. Do you want them to spend the money for a giant lineup or would you prefer they use it more conservatively and just offer car/engine options that appeal to the masses.

before you said sales makes toyota better than lexus. now you're saying quality is...
Sorry Bit, I thought I said that Toyota has more ROI [not quality] than Lexus, thanks to the sheer volume of the entry level sub-luxury market.

Rolls Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin, Land Rover, Jaguar, Lotus, Ferrari, Maserati & Lamborgini - are all great cars.
However, there's just no ROI.

Thus at the end of the day:
BMW owns RR.
VW AG owns Bentley & Lamborghini.
Ford owned Aston Martin, Land Rover, Jaguar & Volvo.
Fiat owns Ferarri & Maserati.
GM owns/owned Lotus & Saab.

Great model vatiations is one thing, but financial performance is something else.

In other words, those cheap bread & butter Golfs & Fiats etc etc - are actually financing the very existence of those exotic cars, which actually run at a loss...

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-18-18 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-18-18 | 08:05 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Sorry Bit, I thought I said that Toyota has more ROI [not quality] than Lexus, thanks to the sheer volume of the entry level sub-luxury market.

Rolls Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin, Land Rover, Jaguar, Lotus, Ferrari, Maserati & Lamborgini - are all great cars.
However, there's just no ROI.

Thus at the end of the day:
BMW owns RR.
VW AG owns Bentley & Lamborghini.
Ford owned Aston Martin, Land Rover, Jaguar & Volvo.
Fiat owns Ferarri & Maserati.
GM owns/owned Lotus & Saab.

Great model vatiations is one thing, but financial performance is something else.

In other words, those cheap bread & butter Golfs & Fiats etc etc - are actually financing the very existence of those exotic cars, which actually run at a loss...
What are you saying? You make no sense at all. You seem to be all over the place, grasping at whatever straws you can.
Old 04-18-18 | 09:01 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sulu
What are you saying? You make no sense at all. You seem to be all over the place, grasping at whatever straws you can.
Sulu, if you tell me exactly what it is that you don't understand, perhaps I can explain for you.
However, trolling without explanation is pointless.
Old 04-18-18 | 09:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

uh, maybe this article will change your mind.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...r-demand-rises

Quick Reply: Future of the Lexus GS around the world