Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of the Lexus GS around the world

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-18, 07:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Problem with the Germans is they've diluted the marques. Meaning, you and I know a C430 AMG is not an AMG, but many people do not. Many people do not know a M235i is not an M--why wouldn't it be? Don't you see the M logo on the floormats? Or that a M2 despite not having a S motor (I'm going to call it that anyway), is for all intents and purposes an M. Even Porsche, why build non S vehicles? imho it's all to appeal to a broader market. Back in the 1980s and 1990s, as my dad explained it to me, peasants could not possess these vehicles, it took a significant downpayment.
the '3 digit' AMG and M cars are fine... it's kinda like F-Sport. the single or double digit AMG and M cars are the extreme deal - not that complicated and i don't think it diluted the brands, just expanded them. audi has single digit A/Q, S and RS which is pretty simple and consistent.

The car mfgs are designing products around the $0 / $0 / $0 / $0
i have no idea what this means.
Old 03-28-18, 08:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

as for the GS... it will be very sad if it dies... i can understand it dying in europe where sales have been all but non-existent anyway and the german 'executive saloons' are everywhere.
i'm not sure it will die in the u.s., although it will unless it's given a serious makeover/do over and not with endless lines, angry ugly fronts, and so so engines and bad infotainment.
Old 03-28-18, 08:32 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Click bait title. Lexus hasn't announced anything. All we have is one magazine reporting on another magazine's article. People are pining for info on the next GS, so I have some apprehension in believing this German magazine called up Toyota and got some kind of confirmation on the fate of the GS and long term plans for the ES in the lineup.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
well i mean other than just the F models, and while we may love the characteristics and sound of a N/A V8 i'm afraid there just aren't enough others to meet sales targets.

but take the GS 350 f sport for instance, for essentially the same money (just slightly more) you can have the totally new E400 which is very nice and also has a V6 but with 2 turbos. driving the GS after that would just seem heavy and unimpressive, and i love the 2GR it's a fantastic engine. it's honestly probably the one i'd go with were i to buy it and own it for awhile, but the majority of people in a position to buy one of those cars would probably be leasing it anyway and be more impressed by the E-Class.
Do you know what the lease deals are on the E400? The cheapest 2018 E400 within a 75 mile radius of me is $78,045. Most of the 4 cylinder E300s are in the $60-70k range.
Old 03-28-18, 08:36 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
It doesnt help that they crippled the V8 so as to have some separation between it and the LS, which was dumb.
I've not owned a V8 until the 2006 LS. Always made a conscious effort to stay away in the BMW line, simply because BMW has I6's, which is superior for balance.

I've known many people over the years with 540i's going back to the E39 days and had catastrophes (fan going through the hood) etc.

It simply seems to border on impossible, to explain to folks how when a turbo 4 cyl. makes 290 ft. lbs @ 4,000 rpm, and a n/a V8 makes 312 at 3,400, the experience is totally different. Ditto when a V6 has the same numbers as a n/a V8 or even greater, with turbocharging. Judging by numbers on paper, I think, was referred to as the "megapixel conundrum," whereby man seeks a single number to evaluate goodness.
Old 03-28-18, 08:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Click bait title.
yeah i made it a bit more realistic.
Old 03-28-18, 08:40 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yeah i made it a bit more realistic.
Thank you!
Old 03-28-18, 12:00 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I've not owned a V8 until the 2006 LS. Always made a conscious effort to stay away in the BMW line, simply because BMW has I6's, which is superior for balance.

I've known many people over the years with 540i's going back to the E39 days and had catastrophes (fan going through the hood) etc.

It simply seems to border on impossible, to explain to folks how when a turbo 4 cyl. makes 290 ft. lbs @ 4,000 rpm, and a n/a V8 makes 312 at 3,400, the experience is totally different. Ditto when a V6 has the same numbers as a n/a V8 or even greater, with turbocharging. Judging by numbers on paper, I think, was referred to as the "megapixel conundrum," whereby man seeks a single number to evaluate goodness.
huh? All I'm saying is they artificially lowered the HP on the GS460 or whatever it was called.
Old 03-28-18, 12:34 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
It's OK. US production will stop soon enough.

the GS just can't compete. It's just the awkward one in the class. Not the most powerful, certainly not good looking either.
You could say the same thing about the LS over the years, it has sold much worse then the GS and is one of the lower selling flagships, why did they do another LS if it is such a poor seller yet they may cancel a GS that still sells much better.
Old 03-28-18, 01:10 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,851 Likes on 1,944 Posts

as for the GS... it will be very sad if it dies... i can understand it dying in europe where sales have been all but non-existent anyway and the german 'executive saloons' are everywhere.
i'm not sure it will die in the u.s., although it will unless it's given a serious makeover/do over and not with endless lines, angry ugly fronts, and so so engines and bad infotainment.
I'm still clinging to the idea that the new Crown will provide a basis for the next GS. If so, it will have a swoopier side profile, if nothing else...

Old 03-28-18, 01:17 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
You could say the same thing about the LS over the years, it has sold much worse then the GS and is one of the lower selling flagships, why did they do another LS if it is such a poor seller yet they may cancel a GS that still sells much better.
I always tell this story, summer 2005 when all I had was a 1998 Maxima SE and a nice young g/f, we went to Belmont Raceway on LI, for a Lexus event. Everyone got in line to drive cars, and the longest line by far was to drive a 2006 E90 330i, I waited, no way I was leaving without driving it.

As far as the LS430's went? Nobody at all waiting to drive them, nobody. Just walk up and get it. At the time I remember thinking, this grandpa car would probably be nice being stuck on the LIE in b2b traffic. I came back and said can I take it around again? Of course, nobody else was waiting. And that was it. Who knew 11 yrs. later I'd buy a used one? But agreed, I think Lexus is struggling to find itself. It has stellar customer service and attitude etc., so maybe it's just a matter of time. Can it ever shake that red headed stepchild image to BMW and MB? Probably never. But to its following, I don't think they care. Just look at a Lexus service area lounge, the 6 times I have walked past (2 times for service), they are packed and people are well over 60. They don't seem to be unhappy in any way.
Old 03-28-18, 01:27 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Do you know what the lease deals are on the E400? The cheapest 2018 E400 within a 75 mile radius of me is $78,045. Most of the 4 cylinder E300s are in the $60-70k range.
true fair point, it can be tough (especially when the model is still quite new) to find one that hasn't already been ordered with a bunch of options. and high end german cars love to not include many things standard that you think ought to be. and the E300 is slower than the 20 year old bingo night express i currently have. i've driven that new engine in the C300 and i did not love it very much. just doesn't build power as smoothly or nicely as a V6, and sounds quite a bit more boring doing so.
Old 03-28-18, 04:03 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

I was hoping that either the next gen IS or GS would be announced at the NY Auto show, but there's nada. Which means, next year only 1 will probably get a clean sheet redesign and the other most likely canned (GS!). I don't think Lexus would introduce 2 sedans concurrently and the IS sells in much higher volume then the GS. Regardless, both are hopelessly outdated powertrain wise.....
Old 03-28-18, 04:27 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

The 2020 lineup IS / ES / LS / LC
Old 03-28-18, 05:07 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

i have no idea what this means.
I think it's the 0 down, 0 first month..... lease specials like what VW did with their sign and drive event thing
Old 03-29-18, 07:40 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Honestly, I dont like the GS and I'm driving a 2015. It just feels like its neither here no there.

Quick Reply: Future of the Lexus GS around the world