Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of the Lexus GS around the world

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-18, 09:32 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
... Whereas the GS has rear-wheel drive underpinnings, the next ES will be based on the cheaper front-wheel drive architecture of the Camry. ...
Doesn't the 2018 Camry also have a RWD model?
Old 05-19-18, 11:28 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Doesn't the 2018 Camry also have a RWD model?
Nope, nary a one in the stable.
Old 05-20-18, 01:02 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 482 Likes on 319 Posts

http://autoweek.com/article/green-ca...an-report-says

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...rumormill.html

If the 2019 Jaguar XJ is electric, could a 5GS be an EV too?
Old 05-20-18, 09:02 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The last thing Lexus should be doing is copying what Jaguar does, they don't sell well and sales will even be much poorer going all electric and still to this day have inexcusable terrible reliability.
Old 05-20-18, 11:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
A GS electric is definitely not out of the question. More and more companies are starting to offer electric models at no extra cost. The case before was the electric or hybrid models would cost extra for being electric and hybrid - not anymore though.
no extra cost? i believe all toyota/lexus hybrids cost more than their non-hybrid versions, although toyota/lexus is moving away from loading the hybrid models with all the extra features to make it seem like a better value (and milk the 'green' public).

as for an electric gs... sure anything's possible, but at the rate lexus is going, we won't see it until 2030 and the competition will be on their third generation.
Old 05-20-18, 03:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

A GS electric is definitely not out of the question. More and more companies are starting to offer electric models at no extra cost. The case before was the electric or hybrid models would cost extra for being electric and hybrid - not anymore though.
lol, who exactly is offering EVs at no extra cost? I mean barely anyone is actually offering EVs at all, let alone at no cost.

Did you come from the 2035?
Old 05-20-18, 06:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no extra cost? i believe all toyota/lexus hybrids cost more than their non-hybrid versions, although toyota/lexus is moving away from loading the hybrid models with all the extra features to make it seem like a better value (and milk the 'green' public).
BippuLexus is at least partly right. For several years now, Lincoln has been offering the hybrid MKZ sedan at the same base price as the gas-powered version. That policy still continues as of 2018.

https://www.lincoln.com/luxury-cars/...-2633a-sse-mkz

The base, and cheapest version, of the 2018-2019 Buick Lacrosse is also a four-cylinder hybrid with a 6-speed transmission....that's the only way it comes. The gas-powered V6 and 9-speed transmission is a $2500 option.
Old 05-20-18, 06:41 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 482 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

as for an electric gs... sure anything's possible, but at the rate lexus is going, we won't see it until 2030 and the competition will be on their third generation.
Wouldn't axing the normally due 2019 ICE powered 5GS help speed up the development of an all electric powered GSe EV?
2022 would be a good due date.
Old 05-20-18, 06:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

With all this talk about the GS, I must say I now see at least one if not two GS cars every day. Funny how I start to notice them everywhere.

As for an electric model, I don’t think we will see a GS electric anytime soon. Toyota makes too much profit from their hybrids and the plug in hybrid technology does exist in the Toyota line up.

Back to the main issue with the current GS, it is too similar in size to the ES, rear seats have less room, it costs more than an ES and you get less power and less cylinders. Even the idea of fuel with premium has gotta hurt when looking a cheaper ES you do not have any of these deficiencies. RWD not factored into the above comments.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-21-18 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-20-18, 08:19 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Wouldn't axing the normally due 2019 ICE powered 5GS help speed up the development of an all electric powered GSe EV?
2022 would be a good due date.
No, not necessarily. Was there a GS EV already planned? If the model was already planned and work had already started, cancelling the preceding model may speed up the arrival of the new model. If the GS EV is not already planned or development work not already started, cancelling the preceding model likely would not speed it up.

Next question to ask is if the (solid-state) battery and drivetrain are ready for the GS. You obviously cannot introduce an EV if its battery and drivetrain are not ready.

Any Lexus EVs will come with a new, state-of-the-art solid-state battery, since Toyota announced that they are working on such a battery, and Toyota has been so reluctant to build an EV on lithium-ion battery technology.
Old 05-20-18, 10:04 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
With all this talk about the GS, I must say I now at least one if not two GS cars every day. Funny how I start to notice them everywhere.

As for an electric model, I don’t think we will see a GS electric anytime soon. Toyota makes too much profit from their hybrids and the plug in hybrid technology does exist in the Toyota line up.

Back to the main issue with the current GS, it is too similar in size to the ES, rear seats have less room, it costs more than an ES and you get less power and less cylinders. Even the idea of fuel with premium has gotta hurt when looking a cheaper ES you do not have any of these deficiencies. RWD not factored into the above comments.
I have seen 2 GS-F's on the same day and I never saw one on the road until Saturday.
Old 05-20-18, 11:12 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
With all this talk about the GS, I must say I now at least one if not two GS cars every day. Funny how I start to notice them everywhere.

The Prius Prime has been on sale for some time now with plug-in recharge for its Lithium Ion battery. No one is buying them. Like plug-in hybrids from other makers, they are so far a sales failure.
Old 05-21-18, 05:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The Prius Prime has been on sale for some time now with plug-in recharge for its Lithium Ion battery. No one is buying them. Like plug-in hybrids from other makers, they are so far a sales failure.
maybe one of these days toyota will realize making hybrid cars ugly to make them 'stand out' is a bad idea.

interior inspired by klingons...

Old 05-21-18, 06:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
And there you have it. The plug in stuff does not sell aside from Tesla which are super expensive. I personally do not see electric cars taking over gas any time soon. Some people think it will be sooner than later, but I think the big gas companies will do whatever they can to keep gas in the USA market for a long time.
Old 05-21-18, 06:13 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

We're getting off track, but I don't actually mind the Prius Prime styling. I am no fan of the standard model, but I think the Prime is much better looking and if I were in the market for such a vehicle, I'd consider one.

Quick Reply: Future of the Lexus GS around the world