Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of the Lexus GS around the world

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-18, 06:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe one of these days toyota will realize making hybrid cars ugly to make them 'stand out' is a bad idea.

interior inspired by klingons...

Not the biggest of fan of the Prius. I like the side profile and don't mind the front but the rear is odd. I also do not like the layout of the center of the dash. But I think the whole point was for the Prius to stick out, sore thumb maybe...simply to get people talking about it. I don't care for hybrids anyway.
Old 05-21-18, 06:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not the biggest of fan of the Prius. I like the side profile and don't mind the front but the rear is odd. I also do not like the layout of the center of the dash. But I think the whole point was for the Prius to stick out, sore thumb maybe...simply to get people talking about it.
I generally agree with you. My impression of the Prius, in all of its generations, is that it has always been intended for those who simply dislike conventional cars (in other words, the ultimate anti-car on four wheels)...and that accounts for the weird unconventional styling, controls, layout, and quirkiness.

I don't care for hybrids anyway.
Then, no offense, but why did you get a CT? Just attracted by the Lexus badge and the promise of good gas mileage.?
Old 05-21-18, 07:16 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Then, no offense, but why did you get a CT? Just attracted by the Lexus badge and the promise of good gas mileage.?
I liked the idea of a small Lexus that was somewhat luxurious inside. I adore small cars now as they are light and easy to drive, easy to maintain and cheap to fuel. The issue I found with the CT was that it was close to 40K CN and used a detuned 1.8 motor and the performance was not all that great. I did not know this and was trying something new with cars instead of playing it safe. Contrast the CT to my husbands 2.4 Matrix and it’s hard to believe the CT was a good idea. I didn’t mind the interior of the CT as I liked the design and the luxury elements, although it was a little smaller inside than our Matrix. Just to give a little bit of context why I like smaller cars, I just filled up my 4Runner yesterday, it cost me $111 to fill up and the low fuel light was not even on, so at this point in my life, a larger engine car is not of the question. If there were a new Corolla hatch Lexus version, I would be surely interested. Gas is not cheap in the Northern NY state and it’s very expensive in Canada.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-21-18 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-21-18, 11:21 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

And there you have it. The plug in stuff does not sell aside from Tesla which are super expensive. I personally do not see electric cars taking over gas any time soon. Some people think it will be sooner than later, but I think the big gas companies will do whatever they can to keep gas in the USA market for a long time.
It is not gas companies, it is simple logistics, battery technology, costs, and what the public wants. Most people in the US don't want electrics, they don't want vehicles that take a long time to charge and are range limited and that cost more then your avg IC engine cars. Until battery technology improves and quick charging becomes wide spread in every state and at every gas station most people will simply see electric cars as compromises they have no interest in. The current state of Tesla's bursting into flames in accidents and recent self driving accidents/fatalities is not helping their image either.
Old 05-21-18, 12:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I liked the idea of a small Lexus that was somewhat luxurious inside. I adore small cars now as they are light and easy to drive, easy to maintain and cheap to fuel. The issue I found with the CT was that it was close to 40K CN and used a detuned 1.8 motor and the performance was not all that great. I did not know this and was trying something new with cars instead of playing it safe. Contrast the CT to my husbands 2.4 Matrix and it’s hard to believe the CT was a good idea. I didn’t mind the interior of the CT as I liked the design and the luxury elements, although it was a little smaller inside than our Matrix. Just to give a little bit of context why I like smaller cars, I just filled up my 4Runner yesterday, it cost me $111 to fill up and the low fuel light was not even on, so at this point in my life, a larger engine car is not of the question. If there were a new Corolla hatch Lexus version, I would be surely interested. Gas is not cheap in the Northern NY state and it’s very expensive in Canada.
With today's technology, large cars do not have to be gas-guzzlers. My Lacrosse, for example, with the 3.6L V6, though aided by a flexible 9-speed transmission, cylinder-shutdown at cruise, and start/stop at idle, averages low-mid 20s in city and everyday suburban driving, and does low-30s on the road. Those are my actual figures...not just EPA estimates.

True, 4-Runners use gas.....no question about it. But, let's face it....it was designed as a truck, with good off-road and towing capacity. It takes weight, a strong heavy frame, and short gearing in the drivetrain to achieve that.
Old 05-21-18, 05:43 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Even modern crossovers get relatively good mileage. My '16 RX350 gets low-mid 20 mpg in town and upper 20's on the highway. The RX450h hybrid does even better. I don't have direct experience, but the NX should be even better.
Old 05-21-18, 06:28 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Doesn't the 2018 Camry also have a RWD model?
Yes, the RWD NASCAR Camry.
Old 05-21-18, 06:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Even modern crossovers get relatively good mileage. My '16 RX350 gets low-mid 20 mpg in town and upper 20's on the highway. The RX450h hybrid does even better. I don't have direct experience, but the NX should be even better.
Exactly. That's the point I've been trying to make. Sedans and coupes don't have a monopoly on good mileage anymore.
Old 05-21-18, 07:15 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With today's technology, large cars do not have to be gas-guzzlers. My Lacrosse, for example, with the 3.6L V6, though aided by a flexible 9-speed transmission, cylinder-shutdown at cruise, and start/stop at idle, averages low-mid 20s in city and everyday suburban driving, and does low-30s on the road. Those are my actual figures...not just EPA estimates.
But fuel economy improvements are not just in the mid- and large-size car classes; it is across the board. So the fuel economy is good, but only in comparison with older cars the size of the Lacrosse. The large Lacrosse, when compared to a compact Corolla or Cruze, is still a gas-guzzler.
Old 05-21-18, 08:03 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The Prius Prime has been on sale for some time now with plug-in recharge for its Lithium Ion battery. No one is buying them. Like plug-in hybrids from other makers, they are so far a sales failure.
They're a dime a dozen here in so cal, you see them in every corner like a 7-11
Old 05-21-18, 08:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
i have never seen a prius prime on the road in florida.
Old 05-21-18, 08:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

you can't go on any street here in socal without seeing a prius prime.

just like if you are in silicon valley model s is almost more common than camry
Old 05-21-18, 09:00 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
The Prime sells pretty well, about 2k a month some regions don’t get any delivered to their monthly inventory. The Prius Prime is marketed heavily in states that have the California emissions standards. Colorado, California, New York, Massachusetts etcetera is where the majority of Prius Prime sales are coming from. Lots of incentives are available for example in Colorado it cost the same to buy a Prime as a base stripper Prius when you factor in the federal state and manufacturer incentives.
Old 05-21-18, 11:58 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
you can't go on any street here in socal without seeing a prius prime.

just like if you are in silicon valley model s is almost more common than camry
While Tesla is insanely popular in the Bay Area, its definitely not as popular as the Prius (family). I see more Prius than Teslas on the road here in San Francisco to San Jose.
Old 05-22-18, 06:35 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Don’t forget all the fleet sales to the government that make up the Prius sales.
All the Prius Prime cars i have seen are owned by NYC organizations. Its one hideous machine.

Quick Reply: Future of the Lexus GS around the world