Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of the Lexus GS around the world

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-18, 06:48 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I am willing to bet there are more people here discussing the fate of the GS than there are buyers of the thing hahahahhaaa
Old 05-22-18, 06:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I am willing to bet there are more people here discussing the fate of the GS than there are buyers of the thing hahahahhaaa
You just might win that bet LOL.

Unfortunately, the same can probably be said for the car I'm driving. It looks like it's good for a least one more year of production, then..........???????
Old 06-13-18, 07:29 AM
Noble8626
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

While this isn't exactly confirmation that a new generation GS will be introduced in the US (or anywhere), at least they recognize the importance of the GS line and aren't completely giving up?

*crosses fingers*

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2018/06/...north-america/
Old 06-13-18, 09:13 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Lexus GS Confirms To Live On In North America

Lexus will continue to sell the GS sports sedan in North America for the foreseeable future, as confirmed with both Lexus USA and Lexus Canada.

“The Lexus GS has been an important part of the Lexus line-up since 1993 and we value its role as a sports sedan,” Lexus USA spokesperson Ed Hellwig explained over email. “We will continue to offer the GS in the United States, and will evaluate how best to meet our customers’ needs going forward.”

The future of the GS sports sedan was called into question recently when Lexus Europe discontinued the model due to new emission regulations. It will be replaced in the region by the new seventh-generation ES sedan.

Despite the promise of continued sales, there is no guarantee the GS will see a next-generation model. Lexus would not comment on future product plans.

Old 06-13-18, 09:36 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

That's good news. The new ES has a rear hump on the floor and I would guess Lexus is planning an awd version for international markets and would probably leave it out of the US. Making the GS available with AWD would be a good differentiator
Old 06-13-18, 09:36 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Noble8626
While this isn't exactly confirmation that a new generation GS will be introduced in the US (or anywhere), at least they recognize the importance of the GS line and aren't completely giving up?

*crosses fingers*

This is a good confirmation, though. The fact that they recognize the importance of the GS role and the role of the sports sedan proves they aren't using the ES to replace the GS.

Even though they won't discuss future product plans, its still likely the GS is alive because Lexus never discuss future product plans.
Old 06-13-18, 09:38 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

This is good news, but if there is no redesign, then the GS sales will slowly fade to near zero. Lexus could offer crazy incentives on the GS if it isn't redesigned, but I'm not sure how much that will keep sales afloat.
Old 06-13-18, 09:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Making the GS available with AWD would be a good differentiator
it's already available with awd.
Old 06-13-18, 10:59 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
That's good news. The new ES has a rear hump on the floor and I would guess Lexus is planning an awd version for international markets and would probably leave it out of the US. Making the GS available with AWD would be a good differentiator
I'm still not 100% sold that the Lexus ES will get AWD. There was no demand for an AWD system on the 6G ES and the ES will sell like hot-cakes without AWD. I'm not sure Toyota will invest in an AWD ES and risk low take-rates for it.

Originally Posted by COOLIS
This is good news, but if there is no redesign, then the GS sales will slowly fade to near zero. Lexus could offer crazy incentives on the GS if it isn't redesigned, but I'm not sure how much that will keep sales afloat.
Hopefully there is a redesign. I think there will be a redesign because if there wasn't going to be one, there is no point in Toyota confirming the Lexus GS will continue in North America nor admitting the importance the of the sports sedan market. If there was no redesign, I think Toyota would have just stayed quiet and then axed it.
Old 06-13-18, 11:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Barely any meat on the bone. The Lexus USA spokesperson of course is gonna say what they said. Toyota USA does not build the GS, they simple import, sell, warrant and market the car.
Old 06-13-18, 11:30 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Barely any meat on the bone. The Lexus USA spokesperson of course is gonna say what they said. Toyota USA does not build the GS, they simple import, sell, warrant and market the car.
What? What do you mean barely mean on the bone? It clearly states Lexus of USA and Canada admits the GS will stay in NA and also admitted the importance of a Sports Sedan. If the Lexus GS was gonna get axed, what's the point of Lexus saying all this stuff? I think this is good confirmation.

The Lexus USA and Canada spokesperson both confirmed the same thing. So its clear that they have better credentials and information than say a dealer.
Old 06-13-18, 11:39 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

It's nice to hear something from them, but I see this really as only a confirmation that a GS will still be offered for 2019, which we already knew (GS F anyway).
Old 06-13-18, 11:58 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Could just mean the 4GS soldiers on.

But being an optimist..

So there's still hope for a 5GS that looks like a mini 5LS with a 400hp TTV6?!

Old 06-13-18, 12:10 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,856 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Could just mean the 4GS soldiers on.

But being an optimist..

So there's still hope for a 5GS that looks like a mini 5LS with a 400hp TTV6?!

My thoughts exactly. Again, to me it would be a shame if the new Crown platform wasn't leveraged for a new GS. And with the other advancements made with the LS, a new GS would stand a chance of actually being a decent competitor to other mid-sized luxury sedans.
Old 06-13-18, 12:31 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts

interesting update eh.....

so 4GS will continue for 2 more years.. crazy.

Quick Reply: Future of the Lexus GS around the world