Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of the Lexus GS around the world

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-18, 05:29 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 482 Likes on 319 Posts

Somehow, the new Toyota Crown to be released the next quarter is not available in 3.5L V6 TT.
Hence I suspect that just as the 4LS model cycle was extended to 11 years, the 5GS and 4IS model cycles may be extended to 8 years with a 5GS to debut in 2020, and a 4IS to debut in 2021 - hence no spy shots of 5GS yet.
Normally the model cycles are fairly consistently 7 years.
Gives them time to develop and refine the 3.5L V6 TT for 5GS and 4IS use.
I would doubt they would axe both 5GS and 4IS as some rumours are starting to circulate.
Old 06-23-18, 11:14 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Somehow, the new Toyota Crown to be released the next quarter is not available in 3.5L V6 TT.
Hence I suspect that just as the 4LS model cycle was extended to 11 years, the 5GS and 4IS model cycles may be extended to 8 years with a 5GS to debut in 2020, and a 4IS to debut in 2021 - hence no spy shots of 5GS yet.
I would doubt they would axe both 5GS and 4IS as some rumours are starting to circulate.
Agreed with your post.

I also want to add: axing the 5GS and 4IS together would be brand suicide for Lexus.
Old 06-24-18, 02:19 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If they ever put 5LS biturbo in non IS-F I would be shocked to tell you the truth. In new RC maybe but IS? One can only hope.
Lexus has totally screwed up with previous LS and it's successor so that's why the life cycle was almost a dozen. That screw up will reflect on new LS sales numbers. Both IS and GS don't have that much leeway like LS does so extending their lifecycle will also be a suicide. If they extend 3IS life cycle it means they have made the same mistake as with 4LS with no clear product development path.
Old 06-24-18, 10:36 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

At first the rumour was just axing the GS.
Now the rumour adds axing the IS too.
Starting to sound very far fetched to me!

The Germans & Lexus have fairly consistent 7-year model cycles, and an 8-year model cycle for the current 4GS & 3IS to develop & release the next generation of 5GS & 4IS on GA-L in 2020 & 2021 respectively isn't too bad.
Old 06-24-18, 10:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

what is your source for this rumor?
Old 06-24-18, 02:31 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
If they ever put 5LS biturbo in non IS-F I would be shocked to tell you the truth. In new RC maybe but IS? One can only hope.
Lexus has totally screwed up with previous LS and it's successor so that's why the life cycle was almost a dozen. That screw up will reflect on new LS sales numbers. Both IS and GS don't have that much leeway like LS does so extending their lifecycle will also be a suicide. If they extend 3IS life cycle it means they have made the same mistake as with 4LS with no clear product development path.
It's important they put it in the new IS. The IS is 100x more important than a niche GT application like an RC so if they don't got head to head by putting in the turbo, we know they've pretty much given up fighting the German brands head on.
Old 06-24-18, 04:51 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It's important they put it in the new IS. The IS is 100x more important than a niche GT application like an RC so if they don't got head to head by putting in the turbo, we know they've pretty much given up fighting the German brands head on.
Something weird is going on and you can tell when it comes to small turbo engine deployment. They are either trying to catch up or they are going different route altogether. I don't know what to make out of 5LS turbo either. It's pretty clear they kept the displacement big in order to make it a viable alternative to naturally aspirated V8. And perhaps to catch up with rest of the competition when it comes to performance, 600Nm is quite impressive considering others are pushing "only" 475 with their 3.0 biturbos in normal application. For that reason only that engine doesn't make any sense to be thrown into small cars like IS and RC, even if it was detuned it would carry the weight penalty for being so big in displacement.
Old 06-25-18, 02:09 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what is your source for this rumor?
I thought I might have seen someone at lexusenthusiast.com or somewhere else mention that the IS was rumoured to be axed too?

https://carbuzz.com/news/lexus-is-and-gs-could-be-killed-off
Old 06-25-18, 05:41 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Something weird is going on and you can tell when it comes to small turbo engine deployment. They are either trying to catch up or they are going different route altogether. I don't know what to make out of 5LS turbo either. It's pretty clear they kept the displacement big in order to make it a viable alternative to naturally aspirated V8. And perhaps to catch up with rest of the competition when it comes to performance, 600Nm is quite impressive considering others are pushing "only" 475 with their 3.0 biturbos in normal application. For that reason only that engine doesn't make any sense to be thrown into small cars like IS and RC, even if it was detuned it would carry the weight penalty for being so big in displacement.
Perhaps they're already working on a 3.0L V6 TT for superior economy & lower reciprocating mass for smoother NVH, and less torque is needed for the smaller & lighter IS/GS anyway - hence a slightly extended model cycle for current 4GS & 3IS, and delayed release of 5GS & 4IS till 2020/21 respectively?

Anything is possible.
We must be patient...
Old 06-25-18, 07:08 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Well assuming the next gen IS will grow in size, the turbo 6 isnt that big of a deal when the current IS already has a 3.5 V6. Plus the GA-L is modular for a reason.
Old 06-25-18, 07:13 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Perhaps they're already working on a 3.0L V6 TT for superior economy & lower reciprocating mass for smoother NVH, and less torque is needed for the smaller & lighter IS/GS anyway - hence a slightly extended model cycle for current 4GS & 3IS, and delayed release of 5GS & 4IS till 2020/21 respectively?

Anything is possible.
We must be patient...
I dont think a 3.0 turbo 6 makes sense with rumors of a 2.5L turbo 4. The 2.0 turbo 4 makes 235hp so presumably, the 2.5 will make around 275 to 300. Then you have the 3.5 turbo 6 at 415 hp. So presumably the 3.0 will be at around 325 to 350, which is usually not enough of a HP separation between engines. The power figures are just too cramped together.
Old 06-25-18, 07:19 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Anything is possible.
We must be patient...
i think they will just put that 3.5tt everywhere in their RWD applications, thats the point of using less powertrains overall but then using them in more applications due to lowered costs.
Old 06-25-18, 07:29 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Anything is possible.
We must be patient...
I wish that the focus would shift to inline 6's, and not V6's. Forgetting about the imbalance, everything is doubled (valves, valve covers, valve cover gaskets, camshafts, etc.). At least a V8 is more balanced overall when compared to a V6 (I6 is still king). As long as anything being possible, an inline 6 would be great.
Old 06-25-18, 07:52 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

The Germans & Lexus have fairly consistent 7-year model cycles, and an 8-year model cycle for the current 4GS & 3IS to develop & release the next generation of 5GS & 4IS on GA-L in 2020 & 2021 respectively isn't too bad.
2IS also ran for 8 model years (2006-2013) so it wouldn't surprise me if 3IS does as well.
Old 07-18-18, 06:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I thought there was another thread regarding the GS however, the Canadian Lexus.ca site has updated the manuals for 2019 and Lexus has removed the regular GS off the cover and it is now just the GS-F If you dig into the book there is information for the GS300 and GS350 (GS300 was never sold in Canada) The website has updated the the GS-F for 2019. I still believe a higher MSRP close to the 65K ES will take over the lower end MSRP price point of the GS.

Quick Reply: Future of the Lexus GS around the world