Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of the Lexus GS around the world

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-18, 02:36 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think the GS300 and 350 get deleted for the North American market, they will continue on elsewhere where the ES is emerging.
Time will certainly tell. I am guessing we'll get a 2019 GS300/350 but then that will be the end of the GS as we know it.
Old 07-18-18, 02:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Time will certainly tell. I am guessing we'll get a 2019 GS300/350 but then that will be the end of the GS as we know it.
I look at it more in line of what Toyota did with their Tundra. They deleted the regular cab and limited availability of the 4.6 across the range and they have deleted the V6....Also with their Sequoia, they deleted all availability of the 4.6 V8. I think we will just see the GS-F carry on for the next one or two model years and they really want the domestic made ES to succeed at all costs.
Old 07-18-18, 03:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This could actually work....

Think what Acura did with the TSX and TL.

They MUST keep a RWD enthusiast sedan though.
I do not think they will cancel all RWD for enthusiasts. To cancel the GS makes sense, LS is not doing super well in North America so how does one really justify a new 4 door RWD sedan when Lexus has an IS, new ES or the high end LS.. I do think the ES is gonna hit close to $70K and awd is coming.
Old 07-18-18, 04:45 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I do not think they will cancel all RWD for enthusiasts. To cancel the GS makes sense, LS is not doing super well in North America so how does one really justify a new 4 door RWD sedan when Lexus has an IS, new ES or the high end LS.. I do think the ES is gonna hit close to $70K and awd is coming.
It does not make sense. That would be Lexus giving up on a very important luxury segment, IS is way too small in the rear for people with children, the LS is too expensive for most buyers and is not selling well already. The ES can not compete with a 5 series or E class even if they give it awd. They should fix the issues with the GS and making it more competitive over just killing it.
Old 07-18-18, 04:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
It does not make sense. That would be Lexus giving up on a very important luxury segment, IS is way too small in the rear for people with children, the LS is too expensive for most buyers and is not selling well already. The ES can not compete with a 5 series or E class even if they give it awd. They should fix the issues with the GS and making it more competitive over just killing it.
Its not an important segment as they won’t make money in it.
Old 07-18-18, 04:54 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
They no longer compete with the Germans so I don’t think it’s important to them.

RX also doesn’t compete with X5.

Unfortunately Lexus no longer aspires to be a Tier 1 Luxury brand.

In this day and age, you have to have a consistent product flow with steady updates to styling and engines to keep the product fresh. This requires huge commitment and continued investment - something Toyota Japan is not keen on providing for Lexus.
Old 07-18-18, 05:25 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

They no longer compete with the Germans so I don’t think it’s important to them.

In this day and age, you have to have a consistent product flow with steady updates to styling and engines to keep the product fresh. This requires huge commitment and continued investment - something Toyota Japan is not keen on providing for Lexus.
I agree. Lexus isn't really tier 1 especially in Europe. I also don't think the ES will get to $70k as no one really would buy that trim level...too expensive for a dressed up Camry. Lexus is happy being a mass market, middle tier luxury brand.
Old 07-18-18, 05:50 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Why would they remove the regular GS from the cover of the manual and just call it the GS-F manual? 2018 GS manual has two models on cover with GS300, GS350 and GS-F on the title.. 2019 is now just the GS-F on the title, and just the GS-F in the pic. Strange coincidence? I don't buy it.
why can't they?
I think this might be a case of overzealous super sleuthing or not who knows
Old 07-18-18, 05:52 PM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well put. I drive one of each, Lexus and German. Lexus blinked, and is leaving performance to Toyota, which relies on BMW, Lotus, Subaru etc input on engines. And soon the Koreans will fill the void Lexus abdicated.
Old 07-18-18, 06:51 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

they just need to stop making ugly awkward looking cars.
lexus tried to out-bmw bmw, and then bmw came right back with an even better 5 series.

lexus needs to create its own exciting product and set its own standards rather than trying to be bmw. Better yet, raise the standard like they did back in the 90's.

Genesis G80 is even outselling the GS
Old 07-18-18, 10:47 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,854 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
lexus tried to out-bmw bmw, and then bmw came right back with an even better 5 series.

lexus needs to create its own exciting product and set its own standards rather than trying to be bmw. Better yet, raise the standard like they did back in the 90's.

To be fair, the G80 undercuts the GS by quite a lot. Base GS 300s will still ring in at about $46k. Base G80 3.8s are more like $41k. And that base Genesis has 311 horsepower. The value is very strong for the Genesis.

Yet, the more expensive German models also outsell the GS.
Old 07-19-18, 12:29 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6

They make acceptable looking cars and the popularity of the F-Sport trims are a bit of a testament to the success of their new bold styling cues.

Just because you don't like it, does not make it fact.

Lexus getting great styling impressions off all their latest releases, you're just in a extreme minority here. A couple years down the road, you'll start saying, "its growing on me".

And for those complaining about 4GS sales compared to its predecessors, take a look at 3GS sales, similar sales trend. You're just making it a bigger deal than it really is. Don't understand all the dramatics.

Last edited by G Star; 07-19-18 at 12:39 AM.
Old 07-19-18, 03:44 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Say hello to Lecura!

Lexus but with Acura like market positioning and products. Oh you know it's coming! They can't market nor move affordable RWD models and they will be all gone soon. One more generation for IS and RC and they will call it a day in small car RWD program. That's what Acura did: oh this one doesn't sell, cancel it! And that's how Acura became premium Honda. You don't cancel the models that don't sell you improve them until they do.

Chasing the trend of CUV Toyota reskins with very few flagship RWD models like LC, LS and LQ will be the final nail in the coffin once the flagship sales drop. Then they will be doing PRs how sales of flagships has decreased over the board in the whole market and future is in Toyota product. Just like how they did with GS and all RWD sedan game by practically blaming some market trend that somehow hits only them real hard but not the Germans or Infiniti Q50.

Bean counting from early '00s when they were milking the #1 sales spot for over a decade has caught up to them and consequences will be magnificent. Pure wake up call but little too late. Lexus can't escape Acura path this decade. It's inevitable.

Old 07-19-18, 05:32 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Well it doesn’t help when you still have the same exact 3.5 V6 thats in the 2018 GS350 which was in the 2007 GS350 lol.

That is just insane!

Again Toyota Japan needs to step up and stop being cheap.
Old 07-19-18, 06:32 AM
evident
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Well it doesn’t help when you still have the same exact 3.5 V6 thats in the 2018 GS350 which was in the 2007 GS350 lol.

That is just insane!

Again Toyota Japan needs to step up and stop being cheap.
Toyota Japan is the culprit with their overly conservative management. They are stockpiling cash yet seem like they are unwilling to invest in german fighting vehicles. for some reason they are giving up their brand swagger that typically competes with the germans to compete with Buick and Acura...

Quick Reply: Future of the Lexus GS around the world