Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

5-10mph over or go the speed limit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-18, 04:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
Its because of just the thought of going the speed limit at all times makes them sik. People in general just don't have the patience to learn a bit more about driving.
I agree, I don't think going exceeding the speed limit is needed in almost all cases.
Old 06-21-18, 04:33 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Its because of just the thought of going the speed limit at all times makes them sik. People in general just don't have the patience to learn a bit more about driving.

To be honest I was a bit sad about being called a troll. Its absolutely uncalled for.

You dont get it man, if by doing the speed limit you are interrupting the pattern of traffic you are making a hazard for yourself and everyone around you. I do not know any other way to say explain/say it.
Old 06-21-18, 04:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
You dont get it man, if by doing the speed limit you are interrupting the pattern of traffic you are making a hazard for yourself and everyone around you. I do not know any other way to say explain/say it.
That does not make sense. If I go the speed limit on the interstate there should be no problem.
Old 06-21-18, 04:59 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
That does not make sense. If I go the speed limit on the interstate there should be no problem.
Just stay out of the passing lane.
Old 06-21-18, 05:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Just stay out of the passing lane.
See. I carefully made sure to not say move over to the right lane. The point stands, you can follow the speed limit. Nobody is advocating staying in the passing lane.
Old 06-21-18, 05:13 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Imagine a river with logs in it all the logs travel at the same speed single file behind each other l, you go and throw a log in at the middle of the river. What happens the other logs slam into the log that is not going with the flow and the same speed as the rest.That is the point I am trying to convey does it make sense now?
Old 06-21-18, 05:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Imagine a river with logs in it all the logs travel at the same speed single file behind each other l, you go and throw a log in at the middle of the river. What happens the other logs slam into the log that is not going with the flow and the same speed as the rest.That is the point I am trying to convey does it make sense now?
I do not need to imagine anything. I go the speed limit and I move over. Sometimes I go with the traffic flow, rarely. But I do get your point.
Old 06-21-18, 05:44 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That argument has been made several times now and its a weak one. First, youre not a log. Your a human bean with soft flesh. knowing that, you can't afford to injure yourself or others. Going faster always multiplies the forces that can harm you in the event of a wreck. But the reality is that we can't go REALLY SLOW or we will never get to our destination. So the posted speed limit is usually MORE THAN reasonable. People seem to think that going over 5-10-15-20 is fine. It is not.

Cars have breaks. They also have humans driving them. That means that their drivers are capable of calculating complicated distances. Driving safely actually takes a lot more effort than driving unsafely.

Being a good driver isn't about having a fast reaction time though that is a good trait to have. Being a good driver is about following the rules set out by the law to the T because our entire driving environment has been planned out with certain rules that you must follow. It doesn't work well for you if you bring your own rules to the game.

Last edited by theory816; 06-21-18 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-21-18, 06:05 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,909 Likes on 1,974 Posts

That argument has been made several times now and its a weak one. First, youre not a log. Your a human bean with soft flesh.
"Human bean" probably should be "human being".

Of course we aren't logs. The point of this is that traffic itself can be thought of kinda like objects floating down a river. They have momentum and require energy and time to slow down. By introducing a very slow object to an environment of other fast-moving objects, you are causing a disruption, and the other objects have to get around it. This creates an accordion effect in traffic, most of the time, since rarely do people consistently zipper-merge to avoid slow traffic. Now no one is saying that the status quo should be exceeding the speed limit to a dangerous degree. However, stubbornly going much slower than the prevailing traffic speed is not the best idea.
Old 06-21-18, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I don't get why people are calling the original poster a troll?
To be honest I was a bit sad about being called a troll. Its absolutely uncalled for.
I fully agree. It was uncalled for. You have brought up some good points.
Old 06-21-18, 08:23 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arentz07
"Human bean" probably should be "human being".

Of course we aren't logs. The point of this is that traffic itself can be thought of kinda like objects floating down a river. They have momentum and require energy and time to slow down. By introducing a very slow object to an environment of other fast-moving objects, you are causing a disruption, and the other objects have to get around it. This creates an accordion effect in traffic, most of the time, since rarely do people consistently zipper-merge to avoid slow traffic. Now no one is saying that the status quo should be exceeding the speed limit to a dangerous degree. However, stubbornly going much slower than the prevailing traffic speed is not the best idea.
Yah thats what I was trying to say I am just not as eloquent as you lol
Old 06-21-18, 08:26 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

That argument has been made several times now and its a weak one. First, youre not a log. Your a human bean with soft flesh. knowing that, you can't afford to injure yourself or others. Going faster always multiplies the forces that can harm you in the event of a wreck. But the reality is that we can't go REALLY SLOW or we will never get to our destination. So the posted speed limit is usually MORE THAN reasonable. People seem to think that going over 5-10-15-20 is fine. It is not.

Cars have breaks. They also have humans driving them. That means that their drivers are capable of calculating complicated distances. Driving safely actually takes a lot more effort than driving unsafely.

Being a good driver isn't about having a fast reaction time though that is a good trait to have. Being a good driver is about following the rules set out by the law to the T because our entire driving environment has been planned out with certain rules that you must follow. It doesn't work well for you if you bring your own rules to the game.
Actually being a good driver revolves around having a good reaction time and fast reflexes.
Old 06-21-18, 08:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Have you ever been out west? Flat, straight roads with nobody around...easily safe for speeds well higher than 80MPH.
.......until a deer runs out on the road in front of you.
Old 06-21-18, 09:54 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 247 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
.......until a deer runs out on the road in front of you.
yea those deer can really sneak up on you on some of these out west interstates...

Old 06-21-18, 10:19 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 247 Likes on 188 Posts

I don't get why people are calling the original poster a troll?
well i saw that steve said they were trolling, the very same steve who has in the past criticized me for being too much of a speed demon lol... i've read enough of his posts to know he's very articulate, well-spoken, and thorough with his posts, so if he of all people is calling OP a troll since they're seemingly continuing to resist logic, i'm gonna go ahead and agree there's something not right here...

yes, you absolutely should have no problem if you're going the speed limit... but then how come, for instance, people going through intersections can get t-boned by people running a red light that should have stopped? why do people get DUIs since if they're over the legal limit should be taking a cab or letting someone else drive? it's ok and safe because it's legal isn't a good argument. considering the speed limit could be increased by 10 mph the very next day, are all those reckless lawbreakers now suddenly responsible good natured samaritans?

if you really believe that, come spend some time on the long island expressway. the majority of it is an 8-lane wide arrow straight road that has a 55 mph limit the whole way, and people will literally swerve around you and flash the brights if you sit in the middle lane doing 55. including large 18 wheelers. traffic regularly (depending on time of day) flows at 65-80 mph and someone doing 55 will massively disrupt all the other cars. even highway patrol late at night will do like over 100 mph for some stretches. that's seriously not an exaggeration lol...

Quick Reply: 5-10mph over or go the speed limit?