Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 BMW 8-Series

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-18, 11:30 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2019 BMW 8-Series

After decades away, BMW has brought back the 8 Series coupe, with sportiness and luxury at the forefront. The car has been unveiled to coincide with the 2018 24 Hours of Le Mans race, which takes place this weekend. The 8 series launch model is the all-wheel-drive 2019 M850i xDrive.

Visually, it's true to the concept. The exterior borrows the stretched look of the old 8 Series coupe, with a long nose, slim A-pillars and low, swept-back roofline. Up front, we see the prominent double kidney grille above large, dramatic air intakes. While they don't pop up like the headlights of the old 8 Series, the new car uses standard LED headlights with BMW LaserLight technology, which are the slimmest of any BMW yet. The side profile reveals a long wheelbase and a version of the Hofmeister Kink at the rear of the side windows. We see another all-LED rear lighting array and twin trapezoidal exhaust. The 8 series will also be offered with an optional carbon fiber roof.

The interior is dedicated to a sporty driving experience. It has new sport seats upholstered in Merino leather. The color of the ambient lighting can be customized in the iDrive menu. A 16-speaker Harman Kardon sound system is standard. Also on offer is a 1,375-watt Bowers & Wilkins Diamond sound system.

The 8 Series is the first in the BMW lineup to use a new turbocharged 4.4-liter V8. Its TwinPower Turbo system uses two enlarged twin-scroll turbochargers to force air into the engine. The V8 also employs fully variable valve control and variable camshaft timing in order to maximize power and efficiency. This gives the M850i xDrive 523 horsepower between 5,500 and 6,000 rpm, and 553 pound-feet of torque from 1,800 to 4,600 rpm. That's put to the wheel via its eight-speed Steptronic Sport transmission with a wider spread of gear ratios. There's also a launch control function. The M850i xDrive will do 0-60 in a swift 3.6 seconds, and max out at a top speed of 155 miles per hour.

The car offers a number of drive settings, including Comfort, Sport, Sport+ and Eco Pro modes to tailor the driving experience to the pilot's whims and needs. The Sport modes govern not just accelerator response and power delivery, but also the sound of the standard flap-controlled exhaust. As for efficiency, the 8 Series can use the route from the navigation system to plan transmission behavior — engine braking, avoiding unnecessary downshifts through corners, etc. — to save fuel. The off-throttle coasting function decouples the powertrain in certain situations. The car is also equipped with an automatic stop-start system.

The 8 Series' suspension uses a double-wishbone setup up front and a five-link axle in the rear. BMW says it used knowledge gained through racing experience to tune it for maximum performance in the corners without sacrificing comfort. The suspension separates steering and damper functions, meaning the steering is less affected by uneven road surfaces. Also, in terms of steering, the ratio becomes more direct with speed, and rear-wheel steering makes the car more maneuverable.

The 8 Series uses technology to provide convenience and safety. It has a head-up display to keep your eyes on the road. An optional night vision system to help see persons, larger animals and other heat-emitting objects, which are shown on the control display and automatically receive additional lighting from the headlights. The Parking Assistant helps identify and maneuver the car into parking spaces. BMW also offers Apple Carplay, Android Auto, and the BMW Connected app to control certain functions and check status remotely. Digital Key technology allows owners to lock and unlock the car with a smartphone. The 8 Series can also receive over-the-air updates as needed.

BMW has not yet announced pricing for the new 8 Series, but says it will release that information closer to when it goes on sale this fall.
Source
Old 06-15-18, 11:58 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Except for the grill, it looks a lot like an RC350.
Old 06-15-18, 12:17 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

^^^I can see that, but my initial reaction was Mustang. Either way, 8-series is sexy!

Old 06-15-18, 12:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

yeah from side i thought mustang.

either way, not as sexy as lc500
Old 06-15-18, 01:02 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,912 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Front end is a bit boring and forgettable the back too busy for my taste. First impression is the car looks okay need to see some proper shots that are not photoshopped to the moon.
Old 06-15-18, 01:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

oh and the back reminds me of a camaro.
Old 06-15-18, 01:43 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Not very much different from the 6 series from what I see. The 8 series should've been more unique. Perhaps the i8 with a proper ICE instead of electric engines would've been a better 8 series.
Old 06-15-18, 02:02 PM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Not very much different from the 6 series from what I see. The 8 series should've been more unique. Perhaps the i8 with a proper ICE instead of electric engines would've been a better 8 series.
Yeah, looks like a beefed up 6 to me too.
Old 06-15-18, 02:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I see some sexiness to the overall shape, but a lot of details are unnecessary blemishes. The greenhouse is a bit Nissan Altima Coupe. It would have looked better if there were more metal covering the back side window or more of the trademark BMW kink. The rear bumper is a total mess- way too cut up and busy. Rear lights are very clean and un-BMW-like. Same trend with the new X5, so it looks like this is where BMW may be going with their rears. Front is pleasantly styled. IMO, the nicest looking BMW front clip to come along since the 90's. Central dash is huuuuge. Haven't seen one that wide in about a dozen years from any maker. Also lacking any attempt of interior shapes behind equal everything (symmetrical vs. non). This, of any BMW, should have dared further inside.
Overall I am happy to see the return of the 8 and this model should enhance the company.
Old 06-15-18, 07:07 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yeah from side i thought mustang.

either way, not as sexy as lc500
me think so 2 ... looks kinda ho hum to me in fact ...
Old 06-15-18, 09:00 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

blandest looking bmw. YAWN

typical overdesigned front and rear, and then they totally forgot to do anything with the sides, leaving it generic.
It's so bland from the side. No character at all.

Cover the face, and you would be wondering which economy coupe it was.

The overall vibe is frumpy like the old SL coupe. No excitement like other premium GTs

Last edited by pman6; 06-15-18 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-15-18, 11:46 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Originally Posted by rmason
Yeah, looks like a beefed up 6 to me too.
According to CnD, the 8 Series is basically fills the spot the old 6 Series did.

Because the 6 Series has morphed from a Coupe to a 4-door Gran Coupe, BMW didn't have a "5 Series Coupe" anymore. So they decided to make the 8 Series as a "5-Series Coupe".

Comment relating to the pictures/article:
Overall - I think the 8 Series looks okay. I think the design is a bit too generic for a cream of the crop 8 Series. Its sorta looks like a more aggressive 4 Series. A person that is a non car enthusiasts can legit get the 8 Series confused with a 4 Series - they look pretty similar to me.

Last edited by BippuLexus; 06-15-18 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-16-18, 02:53 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does the new 8 series as BMW's coupe flagship compete with the LC?
Old 06-16-18, 03:09 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by webra
Does the new 8 series as BMW's coupe flagship compete with the LC?
It has nothing on LC except the engine.
Old 06-16-18, 05:49 AM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

The side profile is sculpted very much like an Aston Martin.

Quick Reply: 2019 BMW 8-Series