Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just got into a car accident. However, I was worry about increase insurance premium a

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-18, 04:51 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by prtuc2
Yes, the car with the yellow plate in the middle lane I believed it was a Jeep and as for color is dark reddish If I remembered correctly?
The yellow may actually help us with contrast. VLC allows you to magnify and crop different areas of video. I use it all the time when examining my surveillance camera. VLC is free for Windows, MacOS, Android, etc. The VLC app on my phone is limited though. Let me download the YT video and get a better look once I'm home.
Old 06-22-18, 06:43 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
The yellow may actually help us with contrast. VLC allows you to magnify and crop different areas of video. I use it all the time when examining my surveillance camera. VLC is free for Windows, MacOS, Android, etc. The VLC app on my phone is limited though. Let me download the YT video and get a better look once I'm home.
This was a real challenge. The resolution of the dash cam video is 1080 but i don't think it is 60 fps. It is also possible YouTube further compressed the original video quality. In any case, below is the best I could do. To me, the license plate appears to be HYJ-9652 or 0YJ-9652. Anyone else see it differently? In California, you can perform license plate lookups so I wonder if your area offers similar services. Even if you're off by a character, the bottom screenshots hopefully help narrow down the possibilities and then maybe an online license plate database will return the make and model of vehicle that matches the Jeep that hit you. Good luck!

Last edited by FatherTo1; 06-22-18 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-23-18, 06:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Keeping it 100, this happened in the great State of New York (from pics)? You are required to report any accident where the damage is $1,001 or greater. It's required, not optional. I never understood that because what if you honestly thought it was $1,099.98?
Just a typo, but I think you meant to say $1,000.98.

$1,099,98 is more than the required $1,001.
Old 06-23-18, 07:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

This has come up before on other forums...does it make sense to share all the details with strangers on a forum?

I met a woman whose son rear-ended someone else. (son and woman #1 in car). Woman #2 sued but shared so much info, claimed she was injured, yet had public facebook and linkedin, that it was established yes there was a rear end collision and son was at fault, but the rest of the claims were fraudulent....it's way too easy to capture everything that is shared online...why do it?
Old 06-23-18, 07:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

p.s. I guess a rear cam would be helpful. I still have not done anything about a solution front and rear, and knock on wood have not needed one ever....
Old 06-23-18, 10:31 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
p.s. I guess a rear cam would be helpful. I still have not done anything about a solution front and rear, and knock on wood have not needed one ever....
Yes, definitely a good thing not to need it. We see so many crazy drivers in California, I am glad I added front and rear dash cams a year ago. It immediately came in handy when others hit my car on two separate occasions. It was $300 total for two VIOFO A119S models plus a pair of 64 GB memory cards. Sometimes there are just too many close calls and you don't want to get into a situation where it is your word against someone else's. On a side note, I've also recorded drivers behaving badly (redlight runners, people driving in the wrong direction, cellphone use, etc.). One time, I was following my wife home and we were approaching a green (so we are supposed to assume we can safely continue straight) and then a psycho driver waiting in the left turn lane decides they want to cut across three lanes of traffic and make a right instead! I have it all on video where the other driver crosses into the path of everyone else that has a green. You definitely don't expect that. Several of us had to slam on the brakes to avoid t-boning that driver. There was a front passenger in that car too and you could see the terror in their eyes as they came 90 degrees faced with oncoming cars. It would have been terrible to capture the death of my wife and daughter on dash cam right in front of me. Thank goodness an accident didn't occur but geez, driver's license standards really need to be stricter.
Old 06-25-18, 06:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
If viewed by insurance, you might end up being the one partially at fault from the video as you changed lanes over the solid white line and the other driver might have had some (faulty) expectation there wasn't a vehicle there from his/her last look in their mirror. Clearly they should have looked again when the dotted lane opened up and they came over, but there was that violation on your part just prior to the accident.

Also in an accident - always move to the shoulder for your and other's safety!

Did your camera catch the other vehicles plates later when you pulled up behind them?
I had the same first thought as Dave about the crossing the solid white line.

Also, did you ever stop and discuss with the other driver? Your original post read as if you had...