Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis, Kia, Hyundai top JD Power Study

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-18, 07:16 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
I only care about the mechanical subscores.

I don't care if a power window malfunctions or if the infotainment is not easy to use (except when there's no touchscreen)
Well a power window malfunction is a mechanical quality issue that constitutes part of the mechanical subscores so you should actually care. And there's no touchscreen in any Lexus these days so you should probably care too.

Last edited by ydooby; 06-21-18 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-22-18, 06:32 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not saying Ford is that great...indeed, I have not been impressed with the assembly-quality of some of the recent Fords and Lincolns I've seen. What I'm saying is that I don't think it is necessarily fair to can a company just on the basis of one or a couple of bad apples. As for the number of TSB's, it could be that Ford is just a little more sensitive about releasing them than some other firms today....customer satisfaction is very important to many (though now necessarily all) auto companies nowadays.
Actually all the American brands (Ford, Chevy, and GMC) have the most service bulletins issued by any other brands. They issue more TSB's because, well they just simply have more problems. For example, a 2015 Ford F150 has 79 TSB's and 7 safety recalls vs a 2015 Toyota Tundra has 33 TSB's and 3 safety recalls. Would you buy an F150 over a Tundra knowing the F150 has alot more potential for issues?

Last edited by Diesel350; 06-22-18 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-22-18, 08:08 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Actually all the American brands (Ford, Chevy, and GMC) have the most service bulletins issued by any other brands. They issue more TSB's because, well they just simply have more problems. For example, a 2015 Ford F150 has 79 TSB's and 7 safety recalls vs a 2015 Toyota Tundra has 33 TSB's and 3 safety recalls. Would you buy an F150 over a Tundra knowing the F150 has alot more potential for issues?
I would, as that's just something where more of a common sense kicks in. Without even doing any research, F150 is legendary, and from heresay, late model Toyotas do have issues. You gonna show up to work in your class 2 safety vest and hardhat, in a Tundra? lol With that being said, we went over to a mcmansion in MD 2 weeks ago, and when the garage went up, there was a Lexus ES and two old Tundras inside.
Old 06-22-18, 09:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I don't necessarily agree that the Tundra is a better truck. It had had numerous issues with rusting frames and flimsy plastic trim/hardware, and the 2Gen versions, when they debuted, had tailgates bending and bucking from the light sheet metal. Toyotas do, of course, have generally reliable drivetrains.
Old 06-22-18, 11:18 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I've always considered the initial quality survey to be a joke. I'd venture to say most people don't now their new car yet and what it's capable of. It's mostly based on electonics, but cup holders??

Would you buy a car based on this survey?
The IQS is not a joke, it is a survey of issues that owners had in the first 3 months with their new cars. It tells us basically nothing about long term reliability, there is another Power survey that reports on problems after 3 years.

What kinds of things come up in the IQS that relate to quality? Paint flaws, crooked interior seams, squeaks and rattles, early failure of systems, etc. For example, the 2016+ RX350 has had numerous complaints from new owners about excessive noise and vibration plus hesitation on acceleration. They also evaluate quality of design. Ask a new Lexus owner about the quality of his infotainment system.

My take is that the manufacturers at the top of the IQS are doing the best job of meeting customer expectations at the beginning of ownership. After 3 years, the ranking will change somewhat, but most of the top ranked in IQS will still be near the top.
Old 06-22-18, 11:30 AM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun

My take is that the manufacturers at the top of the IQS are doing the best job of meeting customer expectations at the beginning of ownership. After 3 years, the ranking will change somewhat, but most of the top ranked in IQS will still be near the top.
Hey, that kinda sounds like marriage to me. lol
Old 06-22-18, 11:45 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

I don't necessarily agree that the Tundra is a better truck. It had had numerous issues with rusting frames and flimsy plastic trim/hardware, and the 2Gen versions, when they debuted, had tailgates bending and bucking from the light sheet metal. Toyotas do, of course, have generally reliable drivetrains.
Define better?
Old 06-22-18, 11:51 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I would, as that's just something where more of a common sense kicks in. Without even doing any research, F150 is legendary, and from heresay, late model Toyotas do have issues. You gonna show up to work in your class 2 safety vest and hardhat, in a Tundra? lol With that being said, we went over to a mcmansion in MD 2 weeks ago, and when the garage went up, there was a Lexus ES and two old Tundras inside.
What's wrong showing up to work in a Tundra?
Old 06-22-18, 12:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The IQS is not a joke, it is a survey of issues that owners had in the first 3 months with their new cars. It tells us basically nothing about long term reliability, there is another Power survey that reports on problems after 3 years.

What kinds of things come up in the IQS that relate to quality? Paint flaws, crooked interior seams, squeaks and rattles, early failure of systems, etc. For example, the 2016+ RX350 has had numerous complaints from new owners about excessive noise and vibration plus hesitation on acceleration. They also evaluate quality of design. Ask a new Lexus owner about the quality of his infotainment system.

post of the day.
Old 06-22-18, 12:50 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Agreed, good post @oldcajun

What's wrong showing up to work in a Tundra?
Certainly better than showing up in a Ridgeline
Old 06-22-18, 01:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Well done for Hyundai, Genesis and KIA

Here is my take, JD Power and CR and all the publications have some element of bias. Without knowing the methodology, the results are pretty much useless as it is hard to peer review them or interpret them.

All that said, it makes complete logical sense for a publication to tout an upstart brand such as Genesis or a brand that can only go up with their sales such as KIA or Hyundai. Rationale behind that would be that new buyers will favor these publications more favorably going forward. It makes no sense for a publication such as Motor Trend to tell anyone that a Lexus LS is superior to a Genesis as the real growth occurs with the Genesis readers in the future.

Now, I can tell you with out a doubt and with 100% certainly that JD Powers pays for some of their data from the people who fill out the reports. I can tell you that because my husband completes what’s called “competitors” evaluation mystery shops on the service at Toyota dealers. He completed one this morning for instance where he had to rate the service for a complete car clean and new wipers. The service costs are reimbursed. Two weeks ago he completed a coolant change at another location and just before that he completed an oil change at one other. JD power is collecting this data on the behalf of Hyundai who then receives the information. There are also Hyundai service shops, Hyundai sales shops, And Genesis shops as well. Never seen a KIA shop. But I have seen numerous Genesis in home evaluations as well as competitor VW dealer purchase inquiries. Moral of the story, the data can be biased as my husband is receiving full reimbursement. Honda and Acura exist as well.

If anyone wants to know more, PM and I let you know how to proceed.

But overall, good for the Hyundai brand all together.
Old 06-22-18, 02:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Certainly better than showing up in a Ridgeline
Ridgelines, from the start, were never designed be hard-core work trucks. They compensate for it by excelling in other areas.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-22-18 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-22-18, 02:27 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Ridgelines, from the start, were never designed be hard-core work trucks. They compensate for it by excelling in other areas.
Point was, showing up to a work-site in a Tundra wouldn't be as bad as showing up in a Ridgeline when the F-150s, Silverados, and Ram workers start heckling you.
Old 06-22-18, 02:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Since we're on the Koreans as a thread-topic, Hyundai will introduce a Santa-Fe-based pickup to the American market in another year or two....it should go head-to-head with the Pilot-based Ridgeline.
Old 06-22-18, 02:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Point was, showing up to a work-site in a Tundra wouldn't be as bad as showing up in a Ridgeline when the F-150s, Silverados, and Ram workers start heckling you.
To be fair, in my area, I sometimes do see Tundras with utility or construction workers in them with hard-hats...but they clearly are not the popularity of the domestic iron.

Quick Reply: Genesis, Kia, Hyundai top JD Power Study