Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dangerous, reckless and ill-advised mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-18, 05:50 AM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
  • Lowering clamps on some of the tuners
  • Excessive camber
  • Slammed cars (I saw 2-3 cars that were so low they couldn't drive over the 2 inch rise to the parking area, one had a front end that scraped the ground when the pavement was uneven)
All illegal in Switzerland. I can lower cars until 3cm, everything more to the ground requires a special certificate made from the car builder itself.
You aren't allowed to play with the camber, especially if the tire comes out fo the sitdes of the car.
An I know of any lowering clamps that have road allowance in my country.

Sometimes, having harsh laws on cars can be a real gain.
The US is a country with inconsistent, contradictory and often politically or religiously driven laws that have nothing to do with improving, protecting or saving lives.
Old 06-22-18, 01:52 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
Here is a list these are just some of the things I could come up with off the top of my head.

Coilovers, chassis braces, sway bars, adjustable suspension arms, HID and LED retro fits, headers, exhaust, some form of forced induction, rims and tires, poly or solid bushings.
I know for a fact that led/hid retros is a no no. Imo any non oem mods is also a no go for me.
Old 06-22-18, 07:00 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
I know for a fact that led/hid retros is a no no. Imo any non oem mods is also a no go for me.
If you did led/hid conversion it would be completely safe because you would be installing projectors allowing the light to disperse correctly. Also all the mods I listed are beneficial in making the car perform more efficiently.
Old 06-22-18, 08:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by Cimabeu
The US is a country with inconsistent, contradictory and often politically or religiously driven laws that have nothing to do with improving, protecting or saving lives.
hate your country much? ALL countries have inconsistent, contradictory and often politically or religiously driven laws that have nothing to do with improving, protecting or saving lives.
Old 06-22-18, 09:26 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
If you did led/hid conversion it would be completely safe because you would be installing projectors allowing the light to disperse correctly. Also all the mods I listed are beneficial in making the car perform more efficiently.
I agree with you on some points. Retrofitting HIDs will always give you better lighting than stock halogens. However, expect the part of the headlights to break down sooner because you had to heat the parts up to remove/cut them. Though I really don't see this to be a problem. This is only if you retrofit the entire HID projectors and not just the bulbs. But another problem is that some folks are installing LED bulbs which is illegal and the parts simply don't match up to work optimally like they should from factory. You simply cannot install LED bulbs and drive around with it.

On top of this, when you install HIDs onto a lower end car, you're watering down the exclusivity of HIDs. Around 2002-2010 having HIDs meant you were straight ballin, a true vip, lol. Now a freakin corolla can have the same exclusivity. But those leds are way too blue. Another reason why I sometimes do not prefer LEDs.

Were just talking about headlights here. Haven't even started on the other parts you've listed.
Old 06-23-18, 07:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
hate your country much? ALL countries have inconsistent, contradictory and often politically or religiously driven laws that have nothing to do with improving, protecting or saving lives.
For a perfect example, look at Saudi Arabia. They are just now (starting tomorrow, June 24) allowing women to drive...arguably the last country in the world to do so. I've got a separate thread going on that.
Old 06-23-18, 12:12 PM
WhiteUCF
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm all for modified cars being on the street (to an extent). The issue I have with most of the vehicles I see on the street now-a-days, is the lack of knowledge in younger car people who are all about their Instagram likes. Those Instagram likes have pushed the knock-off market to grow substantially. Cheap coilovers, cheap adjustable suspension arms/rods, cheap tires, cheap wheels. None of those parts can hold up to daily driving. Heim joints breaking, strut rods snapping in half, knock-off wheels cracking, etc.

If a car is properly modified using parts with actual R&D behind them, I see no issues. I have always refused to run knock-off parts and preached the importance to all of my friends to do the same. I drove one of my drift cars (Nissan Silvia, turbo, RHD) on the street for 6 months straight since my work schedule doesn't allow me to make it to track days anymore. I missed driving it. It was on coilovers, adjustable arms/rods, wheels, etc. but it was at a functional height with all name brand/real parts. Not a single issue.

I enjoy looking at stanced cars, I do. I thoroughly enjoy looking at the LS400 that was posted above but I couldn't own anything like that whether if it's on air or not.

-Excessive camber is incredibly scary to drive on. If you haven't driven anything with more than -5 degrees of camber in the rear with stretched tires, don't. It's completely unpredictable at normal highway speeds and if it rains, it's terrifying.
-People with HID's in non-projector housings should be arrested.
-People with tinted taillights should be rear-ended.

My biggest gripe- Zip ties. Why do kids think that zip ties are cool? Used them on drift days to hold bumpers on, I get that concept, but the kids that have their bumpers held on by zip ties, that daily drive their cars, should be institutionalized.

-Sorry for the long post with no contribution whatsoever. I'm bored at work.
Old 06-23-18, 12:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteUCF
-Sorry for the long post with no contribution whatsoever. I'm bored at work.
Welcome to CL.....I see it is your first post. No need feel sorry for what you said. IMO, you made some good points...I agree with most of them.
Old 06-23-18, 12:27 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

This is my idea of a very cool and fun "conversion."

And you can park pretty much anywhere!