Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Chevy Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-19, 07:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed.....the Blazer looks too much like a Camaro inside.

Glad you agree.

With the 4Runner, people forget you are getting a tremendous amount of room inside as well. Almost Tahoe size. I think it's 88 cubic feet with the second room down. There is a ton of room up front. And you also get the whole RWD based thing (although I think that debate is somewhat overrated)
Old 02-27-19, 08:13 PM
ronmaiden
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually Toyota 4Runner sales have been rising since they introduced the 5th generation and have gone over 100,000 for the last couple of years and the last time they did that was almost 15 years ago. It's nice to see the 4Runner rebound and last year it sold a record high of 139,000 sold which that number hasn't been that high since 1996 when they sold over 128,000 so it's nice to see americans keeping one of the last body on frame SUVs alive.
Old 02-27-19, 08:18 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

The interior of the 4Runner is better than the new Blazer.
Either way, few people will be cross shopping the two. Totally different animals. Blazer in primarily a Ford Edge type competitor.

Agreed.....the Blazer looks too much like a Camaro inside.

In fairness to GM, that was the goal. Just as the Blazer's front end looks like a Camaro.
Old 02-27-19, 08:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Either way, few people will be cross shopping the two. Totally different animals. Blazer in primarily a Ford Edge type competitor..
Yes I agree. You are 100% right

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-27-19 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-27-19, 08:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ronmaiden
Actually Toyota 4Runner sales have been rising since they introduced the 5th generation and have gone over 100,000 for the last couple of years and the last time they did that was almost 15 years ago. It's nice to see the 4Runner rebound and last year it sold a record high of 139,000 sold which that number hasn't been that high since 1996 when they sold over 128,000 so it's nice to see americans keeping one of the last body on frame SUVs alive.
Yes. This would be the case. My family we are on our second BOF 4Runner. My mothers newer model is driven far more often than my fathers Avalon or in the past their Lexus which got traded. Mine is now 15 years old. A very very satisfying vehicle. Not sure it's the best daily driver, but a very good thing to have
Old 03-02-19, 06:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Oh, I agree....it's not the vehicle for me, either. But some people want exactly that.....a purchase that they can keep well past the time it's paid off, and they are out of debt. Many people have to also set money aside for other purposes....they can't afford to be always buying new vehicles.
They can buy very long lasting and reliable crossovers too, and they do. The 4Runner isn't the only reliable vehicle on the road.

I have not sat in a new Blazer obviously, but from pictures I would say neither one appeals to me, but the 4Runner is just archaic looking.

With the 4Runner, people forget you are getting a tremendous amount of room inside as well.
I find 4Runners incredibly cramped inside. Much more room in a crossover.

Originally Posted by MattyG
No you didn't. Your posts indicate a memory of the 90s Blazers. It had to be pointed out that there was an older Blazer. S10 ain't a real Blazer. K series are.
The quote of mine that you quoted was in response to your comment that "shallowness and corporate profits are more important than history". Its ALL about profit. Thats what a carmaker exists for, just like any other business.

As for the statement that "an S10 ain't a real Blazer", then the "bastardization" of the Blazer name occurred almost 30 years ago, so its time to get over that.

You did, because you only traced back the history to a 90s Ford Explorer competitor.
Because that's the version of the Blazer this blazer builds off of, not the K5 Blazer. You're complaining about "bastardization" that happened 30 years ago. Many many people who buy a new Blazer weren't even alive when the K5 Blazer was popular.

And we're back to the original argument. So Blazer does mean something, but only when it suits shallow marketing cachet.
Sure. Like I said, its a business.

Why didn't Ford just use Bronco on a Focus/Escape platform if it doesn't matter? Lol.
Why did they put the Explorer on a Taurus platform? Ford is no different than GM here, they're just going a different direction with their Bronco product by making it a small volume niche vehicle.

IMHO "Bronco" has way more cachet than "Blazer".
Old 03-02-19, 10:23 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Why didn't Ford just use Bronco on a Focus/Escape platform if it doesn't matter? Lol.
They are. The 'Baby Bronco' will be built off the Escape platform. The normal Bronco will be off some version of the Ranger.

Official photo from Ford of the 'Baby Bronco'

Old 03-02-19, 11:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,395 Likes on 1,569 Posts

i
well, as mentioned in the aviator discussion thread, the 4runner interior shot from toyota's website shows it isn't exactly upscale

i think the new blazer interior looks modern and more upscale.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 03-02-19 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-02-19, 11:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i

well, as mentioned in the aviator discussion thread, the 4runner interior shot from toyota's website shows it isn't exactly upscale

i think the new blazer interior looks modern and more upscale.

4Runner comes up in both a Blazer, and Aviator thread. And is bashed against the JGC. Maybe the 4Runner is more influential than ya think.
Old 03-02-19, 11:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It’s because you’re participating in both threads and boring the 4Runner up in both threads.
Old 03-02-19, 11:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It’s because you’re participating in both threads and boring the 4Runner up in both threads.
I don't think I brought the 4Runner up (maybe I did). Nor did I post the photos.
Old 03-02-19, 01:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You brought it up in both threads.
Old 03-02-19, 01:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You brought it up in both threads.
Ok. I did not look back to find out. Thanks.
Old 03-02-19, 03:09 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i

Not only that, but that sea of metallic buttons and trim is way past its expiration date. I wouldn't call the 4Runner's interior 'bad', but I don't think it's a standard to for others to strive for in any way. Just as an example, look at the terrible placement of the power window switches; and the high center-mount digital clock looks like it came straight out of my '83 Prelude.
Old 03-02-19, 03:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Just as an example, look at the terrible placement of the power window switches; and the high center-mount digital clock looks like it came straight out of my '83 Prelude.
So what's wrong with putting the clock there? IMO, that is the perfect place for it....high enough to be near the driver's (and passenger's) natural line of sight, but not taking up space in the gauge-panel, where more important readouts need to be put.

Quick Reply: 2019 Chevy Blazer