Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Chevy Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-19, 03:58 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So what's wrong with putting the clock there? IMO, that is the perfect place for it....high enough to be near the driver's (and passenger's) natural line of sight, but not taking up space in the gauge-panel, where more important readouts need to be put.
I'm not talking about where it's located. I'm talking about the same digital style display that hasn't changed in 40 years. And my statement was in the context of responding to the 4Runner interior being style others follow. Others don't "follow" old tech.

Here's a pic of the new RAV4 dash--note the digital clock at the top of the infotainment screen at about the same eye-level height as you reference--modern backlit LCD display.

https://www.toyota.com/rav4/photo-gallery/interior/1

Last edited by tex2670; 03-02-19 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-02-19, 04:15 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The quote of mine that you quoted was in response to your comment that "shallowness and corporate profits are more important than history". Its ALL about profit.
From the limited profit-seeking view of real estate, of course. Heritage and pedigree don't count. If that's the measure that's being used, then the Sonic should get awd, and can be called a budget Blazer.

Thats what a carmaker exists for, just like any other business. As for the statement that "an S10 ain't a real Blazer", then the "bastardization" of the Blazer name occurred almost 30 years ago, so its time to get over that.
Well, nobody needs to "get over" anything. Once again, this is a car enthusiast forum, not a sales guy, economics forum. GM does what it does. You see vehicles come and go. The fact that they would choose to mine the Blazer name indicates that their marketing/sales people are calling the shots. S10 etc were popular for what they were, but they did not measure up to K Blazers. If all you remember are the 90s era SUVs that's fine, but respect that other people, including truck people might remember a different heritage.

Because that's the version of the Blazer this blazer builds off of, not the K5 Blazer. You're complaining about "bastardization" that happened 30 years ago. Many many people who buy a new Blazer weren't even alive when the K5 Blazer was popular. Sure. Like I said, its a business.
That doesn't mean "business" needs to sell its soul out, does it? And again, why invoke the Blazer name if it doesn't mean anything? They can call it the Canyonero, then.

Why did they put the Explorer on a Taurus platform? Ford is no different than GM here, they're just going a different direction with their Bronco product by making it a small volume niche vehicle.
And then after that little experiment, they are now a RWD platform. Why is that?
Old 03-02-19, 08:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Not to mention the 1980s digital alarm clock readout.
Old 03-02-19, 08:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
From the limited profit-seeking view of real estate, of course. Heritage and pedigree don't count. If that's the measure that's being used, then the Sonic should get awd, and can be called a budget Blazer.

Well, nobody needs to "get over" anything. Once again, this is a car enthusiast forum, not a sales guy, economics forum. GM does what it does. You see vehicles come and go. The fact that they would choose to mine the Blazer name indicates that their marketing/sales people are calling the shots. S10 etc were popular for what they were, but they did not measure up to K Blazers. If all you remember are the 90s era SUVs that's fine, but respect that other people, including truck people might remember a different heritage.

That doesn't mean "business" needs to sell its soul out, does it? And again, why invoke the Blazer name if it doesn't mean anything? They can call it the Canyonero, then.
?
So from what I have read on here, there is/was the S-10 Blazer and K5 Blazer. I agree that the new Blazer kinda just rips off the name from what they used it for in the past. This new Blazer kinda resembles the last S-10 Blazer from the late 90s. If there was a 2-door Tahoe which I think there was after they discontinued the K5 Blazer name, there is not much use for the K5 Blazer name. They really should if called the new Blazer something else.

Here is an article when they released the name. They aren't saving a ton of money by using a older name. https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...zer/702204002/

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-02-19 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-03-19, 02:21 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

So from what I have read on here, there is/was the S-10 Blazer and K5 Blazer. I agree that the new Blazer kinda just rips off the name from what they used it for in the past. This new Blazer kinda resembles the last S-10 Blazer from the late 90s. If there was a 2-door Tahoe which I think there was after they discontinued the K5 Blazer name, there is not much use for the K5 Blazer name. They really should if called the new Blazer something else.

Here is an article when they released the name. They aren't saving a ton of money by using a older name. https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...zer/702204002/
Blazer history lesson:

For many years, there was a Chevy Blazer and a Suburban; and on the GMC side, a Jimmy and a Suburban. In the 80s, Chevy introduced a smaller pickup: the S-10 (GMC S-15). After the small pickups were introduced, Chevy created the S-10 Blazer (GMC S-15 Jimmy); first in 2-door version, and then adding a 4-door version. But the Blazer/Jimmy still existed. Some time in the 90s (I believe), the Blazer and Jimmy were eliminated, the 4-door Tahoe was introduced for Chevy; the GMC Suburban became the GMC Yukon XL, with the Tahoe being the Yukon for GMC; and the S-10 Blazer became the TrailBlazer, and the GMC S-15 Jimmy became the Envoy.
Old 03-03-19, 02:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Blazer history lesson:

For many years, there was a Chevy Blazer and a Suburban; and on the GMC side, a Jimmy and a Suburban. In the 80s, Chevy introduced a smaller pickup: the S-10 (GMC S-15). After the small pickups were introduced, Chevy created the S-10 Blazer (GMC S-15 Jimmy); first in 2-door version, and then adding a 4-door version. But the Blazer/Jimmy still existed. Some time in the 90s (I believe), the Blazer and Jimmy were eliminated, the 4-door Tahoe was introduced for Chevy; the GMC Suburban became the GMC Yukon XL, with the Tahoe being the Yukon for GMC; and the S-10 Blazer became the TrailBlazer, and the GMC S-15 Jimmy became the Envoy.
History lesson for you now, you never once said K5 Blazer.
Old 03-03-19, 02:55 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexsctjill
history lesson for you now, you never once said k5 blazer.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ...
Old 03-03-19, 03:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I think far more concern is being paid here to the use of this name than will be paid by consumers for the vehicle.
Old 03-03-19, 04:34 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

When they went from the full size K5 and brought in the S10/S15 they wanted to differentiate those vehicles from the K5 which was obviously going to head off into the sunset at some point. GM is happy to dust off and sell the Blazer name for quick crossover sales, and yes SW17 is correct about that. A lot of the potential buyers are not going to care about what the Blazer name means.

Still it's galling to see an old name sold out that easily. And outsourced to Mexico no less.
Old 03-03-19, 04:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
When they went from the full size K5 and brought in the S10/S15 they wanted to differentiate those vehicles from the K5 which was obviously going to head off into the sunset at some point. GM is happy to dust off and sell the Blazer name for quick crossover sales, and yes SW17 is correct about that. A lot of the potential buyers are not going to care about what the Blazer name means.

Still it's galling to see an old name sold out that easily. And outsourced to Mexico no less.
After what Ford has done to the Bronco name by compromising it with four doors, and GM compromising the Blazer name in several ways, perhaps it's time for FCA to move in and offer a modern update of the the classic 2-door Trail Duster or Ramcharger.

I can't understand, with Trump's tariffs, why companies would (now) outsource vehicle-production to Mexico, unless, for some reason, tariffs are being delayed or do not apply to Mexican-made vehicles. In most cases, it makes more sense to keep the jobs here at home (or transfer them back home from overseas), where they won't have to worry about the tariffs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-03-19 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-03-19, 04:59 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

After what Ford has done to the Bronco name by compromising it with four doors, and GM compromising the Blazer name in several ways, perhaps it's time for FCA to move in and offer a modern update of the the classic 2-door Trail Duster or Ramcharger.

That would be interesting. But it is now the new norm to sell out to CUV sales. I like the crossovers, but I also believe that companies should reserve some heritage for some storied names. Bronco, Ramcharger, Blazer. Bronco was never a four door stationwagon on stilts. Blazer watered it all down the minute they went to a clunky smaller platform and added four doors.

Honestly, marketing and design departments need to start generating some newer nameplates and leave the old classic brands on the shelf until they're ready for some retro nostalgia. Wasn't there talk/speculation about a four door Mustang on another thread? Yikes!
Old 03-03-19, 05:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

A

I can't understand, with Trump's tariffs, why companies would (now) outsource vehicle-production to Mexico, unless, for some reason, tariffs are being delayed or do not apply to Mexican-made vehicles. .
I don’t know why you keep mentioning tariffs for Mexico. There are no tariffs on cars made in Canada, USA , and Mexico. This has been like this since 1994. Does this make sense to you?
Old 03-03-19, 05:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don’t know why you keep mentioning tariffs for Mexico. There are no tariffs on cars made in Canada, USA , and Mexico. This has been like this since 1994. Does this make sense to you?
Tariffs on Mexican-built cars range from 2.5% to 25%, depending on now new the plant is.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/charles.../#84d06ce78066
Old 03-03-19, 05:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Tariffs on Mexican-built cars range from 2.5% to 25%, depending on now new the plant is.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/charles.../#84d06ce78066
This is not really the case. 1. The new NAFTA deal has not been ratified. Probably a full year away. 2. As long as cars contain 75% content, there are no tariffs. Forbes is incorrect to state 85% Does this make sense now?
Old 03-03-19, 05:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This is not really the case. 1. The new NAFTA deal has not been ratified. Probably a full year away. 2. As long as cars contain 75% content, there are no tariffs. Forbes is incorrect to state 85% Does this make sense now?
I'm not going to second-guess Forbes. They knows a lot more about matters like that than I do.

Quick Reply: 2019 Chevy Blazer