Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Chevy Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-19, 07:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
But this is nothing new. Lee Iaccoca pounded the "Buy American" drum when tons of Chrysler Corp cars were built in Canada, or were re-badged Mitsubishis. That was in the 1980s, way before NAFTA.
Yes, Iacocca was a classic double-talker. We discussed that before, in other threads. But he knew how to make difficult deals in Washington, to get the emergency money that saved the corporation.

And that deal he got from he government was no piece of cake...he had to work VERY hard for it, and meet many difficult and stringent conditions. He describes much of that in his book, of you have read it.

I don't have a problem at all with "Buy American", as long as anyone preaching it, also practices it.
Well, since you specifically asked me in the last post............I practice it.

And I'll save for another thread "What is an 'American' car?" since so many foreign makers have plants in the US. It the headquarters of the company? Is it where the car is built? Is it the % of American parts?
Yes, those are all valid points. But most people (me included) consider an "American" vehicle something built in an American plant, under an American-flag manufacturer (Ford/GM)
Old 08-06-19, 07:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I believe it’s wrong, that is my opinion. I also think buy an American made car is very different than buy a car with cheap labor.

American labor, today, IS cheap compared to what it was in the 1970s or early 1980s. Average hourly wages are about half of what they were (adjusted for inflation), health-care insurance is not as good (or non-existent), and retirement benefits have been greatly slashed.
Old 08-06-19, 07:50 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, since you specifically asked me in the last post............I practice it.
Well, now you do. Your IS 300 wasn't built in the US.

Yes, those are all valid points. But most people (me included) consider an "American" vehicle something built in an American plant, under an American-flag manufacturer (Ford/GM)

I respectfully disagree. I think most car buyers -- not enthusiasts, or "car guys"; just run of the mill folks -- consider an "American" car to be a car with an American nameplate on it, regardless of where it was built. Including a Chinese built Buick, or a Mexican built Blazer, or a Jeep sharing a platform with a Fiat.

Sure--if you are in a UAW town/county, views may be different.

Last edited by tex2670; 08-06-19 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-06-19, 08:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, now you do. Your IS 300 wasn't built in the US.
That was almost 20 years ago. Back then, it wasn't as critical as it is now for auto-buyers to support American plants.....conditions are far different today. And Lexus, to my knowledge, back then, was not building any vehicles in the U.S., though they might have started with some ES models at Georgetown, KY (not sure).

I respectfully disagree. I think most car buyers -- not enthusiasts, or "car guys"; just run of the mill folks -- consider an "American" car to be a car with an American nameplate on it, regardless of where it was built. Including a Chinese built Buick, or a Mexican built Blazer, or a Jeep sharing a platform with a Fiat.

Sure--if you are in a UAW town/county, views may be different.
Most of us on Car Chat, though, speak from education....and, even then, opinions can differ.
Old 08-06-19, 08:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Most of us on Car Chat, though, speak from education....and, even then, opinions can differ.
Right--I don't consider the Car Chat community to represent the "typical" (ie, "vast majority") of car buyers.

That was almost 20 years ago. Back then, it wasn't as critical as it is now for auto-buyers to support American plants.....conditions are far different today. And Lexus, to my knowledge, back then, was not building any vehicles in the U.S., though they might have started with some ES models at Georgetown, KY (not sure).
Well, that's where I take a different view. Considering the avg cost of a new car, I'm going to get the car that I feel is best for me and my situation. I'm not going to artificially prop up a car that I feel is inferior because of where it's made. IMO, this is why the American makes have been playing catch up for years. Build a dang car that's best in class, and I'll buy it. Don't guilt customers into buying "American" while putting out mediocre products--regardless of where it's made. American companies have made plenty cars that range from duds to average, that were built in the USA. My Saturn SL1 was one of them--competently average.

Last edited by tex2670; 08-06-19 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-06-19, 11:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

My Saturn SL1 was one of them--competently average.
Ah...a fellow Saturn S-series customer, I see. I had a 1999 SL2...ordered it brand new. I loved it...though it had some flimsy parts inside, and the design of the horn-buttons on the steering wheel spokes was poor.

I've long maintained that Saturn started downhill when they did away with the S-series and started replacing it them with more conventional vehicles. But that's another subject, and I don't want to take the thread too far off topic.
Old 08-08-19, 03:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Well, that's where I take a different view. Considering the avg cost of a new car, I'm going to get the car that I feel is best for me and my situation. I'm not going to artificially prop up a car that I feel is inferior because of where it's made. IMO, this is why the American makes have been playing catch up for years. Build a dang car that's best in class, and I'll buy it. Don't guilt customers into buying "American" while putting out mediocre products--regardless of where it's made. American companies have made plenty cars that range from duds to average, that were built in the USA.
I don't disagree with you. On the other hand, I think it is good to be aware of Country of Origin
Old 08-08-19, 06:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Does it come with forklift pockets?
Old 08-09-19, 06:49 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta be honest... sat in this at the dealer 2 weeks ago... had a Blazer long ago... the sticker listed at $51,800 is NOT worth it.... aggressive, tech, quality... yeah, ok... but $52K??????????????????

Sorry....
Old 08-09-19, 08:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Gotta be honest... sat in this at the dealer 2 weeks ago... had a Blazer long ago... the sticker listed at $51,800 is NOT worth it.... aggressive, tech, quality... yeah, ok... but $52K??????????????????

Sorry....
The upper trim Chevy SUVs loose their value proposition fast. Its like the Traverse, I really like the Traverse but a loaded High Country is too much money.

Most Blazers won't be $52k, and you will have $10k discounts on them quick.
Old 08-09-19, 08:18 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The upper trim Chevy SUVs loose their value proposition fast. Its like the Traverse, I really like the Traverse but a loaded High Country is too much money.

+1 on the Traverse... and definitely agree on depreciation
Old 08-09-19, 08:52 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

For those thinking "Chevy just doesn't have enough SUVs to suit my needs; I might have to go to another brand," your prayers may be answered...

https://www.motor1.com/news/364084/c...spy-shots/amp/

Chevy Blazer XL Spied Trying To Hide Its Bigger Size

It's a Blazer with a growth spurt.

The Blazer is a fairly recent entry in the Bowtie's lineup, and these new spy shots provide a fresh look at the model's next evolution into a larger, three-row variant. Current rumors indicate that it wears the Blazer XL moniker.

Gallery: Chevrolet Blazer XL Spy Photos

Chevrolet Blazer XL Spy Shots

This test mule wears a significant amount camouflage, but we can see the resemblance to the Blazer underneath the concealment, particularly the headlights. Focusing on the back, it's clear that this version is quite a bit longer than the standard Blazer, and the roof is flatter. The extra room in the rear should allow for a third row of seats for boosting the model's total occupancy. When the bench is stowed away, cargo capacity should increase, too.

What We Know About The Three-Row Blazer:

Chevrolet Blazer Three-Row SUV Prototype Spied Testing In Colorado
Three-Row Chevy Blazer XL Will Allegedly Arrive In China In 2020
Current reports indicate that the Blazer XL might not be available in the United States. Instead, China and markets in South America would get the bigger variant. The Chinese version would allegedly use a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder making 240 horsepower (179 kilowatts), and South American variants would be available with a 3.6-liter V6 producing 305 hp (227 kW). Both engines would hook up to a nine-speed automatic.

While more stylish than the brand's other entries, offering the three-row Blazer in the United States would step on the toes of the Traverse, so there's a valid reason not to offer the model in America. If the market changes, then the engineering on the bigger Blazer is done, and the execs could also decide to bring it Stateside.

For 2020, American buyers of the Blazer have a new engine choice. The 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder makes 230 hp (172 kW) and 258 lb-ft (350 Nm) of torque. It's available with either front- or all-wheel-drive layouts.

Source: Carpix
Old 08-10-19, 09:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

That was almost 20 years ago.
Was your Verano built in the U.S., or Germany?
Old 08-10-19, 09:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Yup, usual ‘game’. Upon introduction dealers will sell at or ABOVE fake MSRP and then when demand drops like a rock, they’ll offer ‘great deals’ with 10, 20, 30% off... it’s such b.s.
Old 08-10-19, 09:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Was your Verano built in the U.S., or Germany?
Orion, Michigan

Quick Reply: 2019 Chevy Blazer