Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Chevy Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-20, 07:08 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Blazer or TrailBlazer?

Because if it's Blazer, doesn't that say the opposite? If that was one of the top 10 cars turned in in 2009--for a car that wasn't sold (under that name) after 1991, doesn't that actually speak to the longevity of the K5 Blazer?

If it's the TrailBlazer, then yeah--clunker.
K5 Blazer was the cool one, the S10 Blazer and its larger Trail Blazer sibling were sold well into the 2000s and were both junk.
Old 02-06-20, 07:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

The S10 blazer as i recall, seemed to suffer a lot from rust, and i've seen higher quality interiors inside a cereal box. But sure, they would keep going, and going, and going...
Old 02-06-20, 07:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The old old Blazer from the 70ies that looked kind of like the old Broncos did have a cool factor to it, but the one based on the S10 with a few dozen of derivatives including Isuzu, Opel, Oldsmobile, GMC and Honda were all junk. I remember you were very vocal about Chevy Colorado pick up truck being a pile of junk - well guess what, the Blazer was based on the same S10 platform.
Actually, no, I never criticized the 2Gen Colorado or Canyon at all....just the opposite. I did a review of it, and liked it, although its ride was a little stiff for my tastes. What I DID criticize (and I'll admit), besides the new crossover Blazer, was the old 1Gen Colorado...which was indeed a piece of junk....IMO one of the worst pickups I've sampled. If you remember, Isuzu sold an I-Series version of it before they folded in the U.S.

And, as tex2670 pointed out, don't confuse the S10 platform with the old Blazer. The compact S-10 platform produced the 1Gen Trailblazer, bot the large C/K5 Blazer itself.
Old 02-06-20, 07:41 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Actually, no, I never criticized the 2Gen Colorado or Canyon at all....just the opposite. I did a review of it, and liked it, although its ride was a little stiff for my tastes. What I DID criticize (and I'll admit), besides the new crossover Blazer, was the old 1Gen Colorado...which was indeed a piece of junk....IMO one of the worst pickups I've sampled. If you remember, Isuzu sold an I-Series version of it before they folded in the U.S.

And, as tex2670 pointed out, don't confuse the S10 platform with the old Blazer. The compact S-10 platform produced the 1Gen Trailblazer, bot the large C/K5 Blazer itself.
No, the 1982-2005 Blazer and all of its derivatives were all based on the S10 platform. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_S-10_Blazer

The TrailBlazer used the same S10 platform at first, but then switched to a larger truck platform, which was equally terrible.

The old Colorado and previous Sonoma/S10 trucks were basically the same platform, and were also awful.
Old 02-06-20, 08:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Honestly. I think you have to give up the whole Blazer debate. You’ve made your point. Just my friendly opinion. I don’t care for the Blazer either, this thread has supporters which is uncharacteristic for the Chevy brand. Just watch the sales as well as the discounts and draw conclusions from that.
Old 02-06-20, 08:33 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Honestly. I think you have to give up the whole Blazer debate. You’ve made your point. Just my friendly opinion. I don’t care for the Blazer either, this thread has supporters which is uncharacteristic for the Chevy brand. Just watch the sales as well as the discounts and draw conclusions from that.
This is good advice. At this point probably best to leave it to actual buyers.
Old 02-06-20, 10:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The S10 blazer as i recall, seemed to suffer a lot from rust, and i've seen higher quality interiors inside a cereal box. But sure, they would keep going, and going, and going...
They were pretty crappy vehicles, with terrible interiors.
Old 02-06-20, 10:14 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They were pretty crappy vehicles, with terrible interiors.
Agreed on all points. I remember the 2.8L V6 being both gutless and indestructible. My friends who had them at the time--there was a longitudinal version used in the trucks, and a transverse version used in cars like the Cutlass Ciera--all got into the habit of turning off the HVAC any time they wanted to accelerate, then turning it back on once they got up to speed.
Old 02-06-20, 10:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
My friends ... all got into the habit of turning off the HVAC any time they wanted to accelerate, then turning it back on once they got up to speed.
hahaha, remember those good times. so i lived in dallas once, and a person in knew picked me up in his chevy chevette (or shove-it as it was lovingly known ). it was about 100 degrees outside so he had the a/c on full blast. but the a/c took the few hp it had away and we could barely make it up the entrance ramp onto a highway

ah the good old days.
Old 02-06-20, 11:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

hahaha, remember those good times. so i lived in dallas once, and a person in knew picked me up in his chevy chevette (or shove-it as it was lovingly known ). it was about 100 degrees outside so he had the a/c on full blast. but the a/c took the few hp it had away and we could barely make it up the entrance ramp onto a highway

ah the good old days.

Yes, the A/C compressor-drag does have an effect, but another important one is that when the weather is very warm outside, particularly when it is humid at high altitude (heat, altitude, and humidity all three affect air-density), it lowers the power output of an ICE. With aircraft, it can affect both engine power, propeller-efficiency, and the lifting-power of the wings.....planes come with density-altitude charts showing the typical amount of runway needed for take-offs and landings for density-altitude and aircraft-loads.

That is one reason, of course, why turbo-vehicles and turbo-powered piston-engine aircraft are both popular out West, in the Rockies, at their high altitudes. The turbos, wth their air/fuel-compression, restore the engine power to that at lower altitudes.
Old 02-06-20, 11:52 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Agreed on all points. I remember the 2.8L V6 being both gutless and indestructible. My friends who had them at the time--there was a longitudinal version used in the trucks, and a transverse version used in cars like the Cutlass Ciera--all got into the habit of turning off the HVAC any time they wanted to accelerate, then turning it back on once they got up to speed.
I had that engine in my 89 Firebird. A/C didn't even work so that wasn't an issue for me.
Old 02-06-20, 06:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, the A/C compressor-drag did have an effect
fixed that. car compressors and every other part are so efficient today, most people couldn't tell any difference when the a/c is on or off.
Old 02-07-20, 06:32 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

fixed that. car compressors and every other part are so efficient today, most people couldn't tell any difference when the a/c is on or off.
Also, 15 or 20 years ago manufacturers started adding logic to de-clutch the AC compressor automatically when heavy accelerator pressure is applied. In effect accomplishing the same goal without the driver having to slide that switch all the way across the dash and back. And since this way doesn't cut out the fan, in most cases passengers won't even notice.
Old 02-07-20, 06:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Also, 15 or 20 years ago manufacturers started adding logic to de-clutch the AC compressor automatically when heavy accelerator pressure is applied. In effect accomplishing the same goal without the driver having to slide that switch all the way across the dash and back. And since this way doesn't cut out the fan, in most cases passengers won't even notice.
Interesting info. So to bring it back to the Blazer, I think the Blazer has a V6, I assume it make 275hp, I highly doubt anyone can tell the difference
Old 02-07-20, 07:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Today, though, the systems are more complex, particularly with the engine/start/stop features at idle. The whole A/C system, like so much else on today's vehicles, is essentially computer-controlled.

Quick Reply: 2019 Chevy Blazer