Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Chevy Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-18, 07:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

For a while, Isuzu didn't even have any U.S. market vehicles of their own....they depended on the Ascender (a decontented Trailblazer) and the I-Series trucks, which were simply rebadged versions of the (IMO) truly awful 1Gen Chevy Colorado.
When there was a Chevy Balzer, there was no Isuzu Ascdener for the US. Isuzu only came to market with the Ascender when Chevrolet moved on from the Blazer name in the US. There was also a Saab model as well.
Old 11-19-18, 07:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I am aware of that. There is no such thing as an S-10 Trailblazer...it was a different platform.

While we can talk all night about Blazers, Trailblazers, and different platforms, the main question boils down to the one at hand....a crossover with four doors, and if it will sell. While I myself am not impressed with the basic concept, the short answer is clearly yes.......enough other people are that it will have no problem going out the door at all.
The bottom line is...you were wrong...and its impossible for you to admit that.
Old 11-19-18, 08:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The bottom line is...you were wrong...and its impossible for you to admit that.
Looked up the names. There were three names K5 Blazer, S-10 Blazer and then Blazer. The second gen in 1995 was not a S-10 Blazer, just called Blazer.
Old 11-19-18, 08:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Back to the topic at hand, anybody know if GMC will introduce a new Jimmy or Envoy version of this upcoming Blazer? I didn't see it mentioned in the OP article. I'd lean towards predicting a yes, but not not necessarily putting money on it.
I doubt it there will be a return of Jimmy. What a pathetic name. We owned one in the 90s. Denali is a better name.

I do do think the name Trailblazer will absolutely return and it will be a off-road version.
Old 11-19-18, 11:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Looked up the names. There were three names K5 Blazer, S-10 Blazer and then Blazer. The second gen in 1995 was not a S-10 Blazer, just called Blazer.
That matches my recollection also...
Old 11-19-18, 12:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
That's pretty close to what I found also. And none of the Blazer variants were done on a crossover chassis.

I do do think the name Trailblazer will absolutely return and it will be a off-road version.
Sounds like a name that will compete with the Trail-Rated-badged Jeeps.
Old 11-19-18, 03:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That's pretty close to what I found also. And none of the Blazer variants were done on a crossover chassis.
But they were 4 door. Admitting when you're wrong isn't a weakness, its a sign of confidence and strength. I'm wrong a lot, and when I'm wrong I admit it.
Old 11-19-18, 05:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'm wrong a lot, and when I'm wrong I admit it.
So do I, if and when the circumstances dictate it. In fact, I can start with my own car. Yes, it has given me a lot of driving enjoyment as a daily-driver (I love its riding comfort), but for reliability purposes, it may (?) have been a mistake. Not only the climate-control temperature failure, where it was in the shop for five days, but the 9-speed (9T65) transmission, after a year of service, also seems to have some occasional minor quirks. It may not have been perfected yet, though it basically shifts smoothly most of the time, and has not left me stranded. Other vehicles that use it, such as the 2017 Chevy Malibu 2.0T Premier, 2018 Chevy Traverse, and 2018 Buick Enclave, have also reported some minor transmission problems, according to Consumer Reports. I did not get one of the first vehicles with that unit (it had been used in the 2017 Malibu the year before I bought mine, so my car was not a total Guinea-Pig)...but it is indeed a complex piece of equipment, with a lot of potential failure-points, and some 60 different patents on its design.

So, yes, it's still a little early to tell, but, for reliability purposes, it may have not been the best decision on my part. Getting a 2017 Lacrosse instead (as you suggested I do), with the Aisin-built 8-speed automatic (used only for that one year), may have not been much different...it also had a high rate of transmission and climate-control complaints. The good side to it, of course, is that my Service Advisor is simply superb (he is not only outstanding in his customer service, but has to deal with, poor lady, his laid-up wife with MS)...if he retires or moves on to another job, I'll probably leave GM LOL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-19-18 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-19-18, 07:17 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So how is GM pricing these? Initial press and GM's website says a shade under $29K for the base model, but most buyers would likely go for a mid level version which has something other than cloth seats, a steering wheel and tires.

So $35K. The Equinox base starts much lower than $30K and the Traverse starts at just over $30K. It's not too bad looking an urban crossover but nothing too distinctive about it either. Looks like Chevrolet wants to cover the unibody crossover segment completely. Trax, Blazer, Equinox, Traverse.
Old 11-19-18, 07:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Looks like Chevrolet wants to cover the unibody crossover segment completely. Trax, Blazer, Equinox, Traverse.
Not quite completely. The giant Suburban and the smaller Tahoe will carry on with truck-frames.
Old 11-19-18, 07:52 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Back to the topic at hand, anybody know if GMC will introduce a new Jimmy or Envoy version of this upcoming Blazer? I didn't see it mentioned in the OP article. I'd lean towards predicting a yes, but not not necessarily putting money on it.
I do think GMC would get a version, but I can't imagine they will resurrect the Jimmy or Envoy nameplates. I don't think they have enough name recognition.
Old 11-19-18, 08:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So do I, if and when the circumstances dictate it.
So you are continuing to stick to your assertion that there hasn't been a 4 door Blazer in the past despite all of the evidence I and others have shown you? Or are you trying to claim that somehow you never meant to imply that a 4 door Blazer was sacrilege because you didn't know there had been 4 door blazers for 20+ years?

Not quite completely. The giant Suburban and the smaller Tahoe will carry on with truck-frames.
He said "cover the crossover segment completely". The Suburban and Tahoe aren't in the crossover segment, and no crossovers complete at that size class. With the Blazer, Chevy will have every sub segment of crossover competing.

Originally Posted by tex2670
I do think GMC would get a version, but I can't imagine they will resurrect the Jimmy or Envoy nameplates. I don't think they have enough name recognition.
I don't think GMC needs a version since they have the Acadia, which is smaller this generation than the previous one, and the Enclave and Traverse.
Old 11-19-18, 09:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

So you are continuing to stick to your assertion that there hasn't been a 4 door Blazer in the past despite all of the evidence I and others have shown you? Or are you trying to claim that somehow you never meant to imply that a 4 door Blazer was sacrilege because you didn't know there had been 4 door blazers for 20+ years?
I'm not going to argue about this all night, but perhaps the simplest way to describe it is that what I originally referred to as the "true" Blazer was the K5, introduced in 1969, which were all full-size and 2-door, and replaced by the 4-door Tahoe in 1994. There were later 4-door versions under both the Blazer and Trailblazer names, although from different generations and platforms....and it can get confusing. The only reason I brought it up in the first place (irrespective of what was a 4-door Blazer vs. Trailblazer) was that, IMO, it insulted the memory of the K5 two-door Blazer (and the traditionalists who loved it) to hang the name on a smaller crossover vehicle. The claim that it is an insult, however, is simply my opinion, and not necessarily fact, as an opinion like that is subjective. I have felt the same way in the past, a number of times, about attempts by auto manufacturers to re-hang the names of great vehicles in the past on not-so-great replacements.....the worst example possibly being maybe the Mustang II of 1970s. If that explanation isn't good enough for you, then all I can say is....have a nice evening.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-19-18 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-20-18, 05:17 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think GMC needs a version since they have the Acadia, which is smaller this generation than the previous one, and the Enclave and Traverse.
This is true, but I wouldn't be surprised if GMC just can't help themselves.
Old 11-20-18, 06:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

, IMO, it insulted the memory of the K5 two-door Blazer (and the traditionalists who loved it) to hang the name on a smaller crossover vehicle. The claim that it is an insult, however, is simply my opinion, and not necessarily fact, as an opinion like that is subjective.
I did a little research this morning while getting blasted with all my morning emails, at the end, GM marketed the large 2 door SUV as just "Blazer" It was never referred to as K5 Blazer although perhaps it was known in internal documents as such (kind like some people know my 4Runner is built on a 120 chassis) Here is a link Chevrolet Blazer
Then it appears the K5 Blazer was rebranded as Tahoe in mid cycle, kinda like how the Scion iM was then changed to Toyota iM.

Interestingly, upon further research, Chevrolet referred to it as Blazer in many ads.

https://c-7npsfqifvt0x24dofu3x2edctjtubujdx2edpn.g00.cnet.com/g00/3_c-7x78x78x78.dofu.dpn_/c-7NPSFQIFVT0x24iuuqtx3ax2fx2fdofu3.dctjtubujd.dpnx2fjnhx2fQ-04re5Ds2frzOXPd2mox78RoDDc1x3dx2f047y638x2f3129x2f17x2f29x2f1011dg4e-f419-5f23-b1be-8fe24cbec902x2f2003-difwspmfu-l6-cmbafs-be-3.kqhx3fj21d.nbslx3djnbhf_$/$/$/$/$/$/$/$/$

For some reason I cannot load the image .

I'm not going to argue about this all night, but perhaps the simplest way to describe it is that what I originally referred to as the "true" Blazer was the K5, introduced in 1969, which were all full-size and 2-door, and replaced by the 4-door Tahoe in 1994.
The K5 Blazer was not replaced by a 4-door Tahoe, the KBlazer was rebranded as a Tahoe 2 door version. The 4 door Tahoe was introduced at the time, so there were three versions of Tahoe in 1994.

The claim that it is an insult,.
What would you say is the bigger insult? GM keeping the Blazer name alive in crossover form, or Chevrolet in 1994, changing the name of K5 Blazer to Chevrolet Tahoe 2 door?

IMO, its all irrelevant, however I sort of get where you are coming from that it could be considered an insult to those who once had the large Blazers and now they are cross overs.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-20-18 at 06:40 AM.

Quick Reply: 2019 Chevy Blazer