Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Chevy Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-18, 06:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not going to argue about this all night, but perhaps the simplest way to describe it is that what I originally referred to as the "true" Blazer was the K5, introduced in 1969, which were all full-size and 2-door, and replaced by the 4-door Tahoe in 1994. There were later 4-door versions under both the Blazer and Trailblazer names, although from different generations and platforms....and it can get confusing. The only reason I brought it up in the first place (irrespective of what was a 4-door Blazer vs. Trailblazer) was that, IMO, it insulted the memory of the K5 two-door Blazer (and the traditionalists who loved it) to hang the name on a smaller crossover vehicle. The claim that it is an insult, however, is simply my opinion, and not necessarily fact, as an opinion like that is subjective. I have felt the same way in the past, a number of times, about attempts by auto manufacturers to re-hang the names of great vehicles in the past on not-so-great replacements.....the worst example possibly being maybe the Mustang II of 1970s. If that explanation isn't good enough for you, then all I can say is....have a nice evening.
The point stands though. There is no sacrilege with using the name Blazer on a 4 door vehicle, if that was sacrilege, that's a sacrilege GM committed almost 30 years ago. There is no sacrilege committed by making this vehicle a smaller vehicle, again that sacrilege was committed 30 years ago. The argument about it being unibody is a different argument, that would have a valid point.

A company can't insult the heritage of a vehicle by giving the new version of it characteristics they gave a vehicle by that name 30 years ago. It makes no sense.

This is what you said:

Not sure if this is the right way to go with the new Blazer....The former Blazer (as opposed to the Trail Blazer) was truck-based, two-door, body-on frame, and off-road capable.
The true full-size (K5) and compact (S10) Blazers were two doors. There was the mid-sized TrailBlazer

These statements are wrong, because the differentiation you were making between "Blazer" and "Trail Blazer" was not correct, and you forgot the existence of the 4 Door S10 Blazer and subsequent 4 door 5 passenger Blazers from the 1990s, clearly when you said the S10 Blazer was 2 door. Just admit that, its very clear by your own statements.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I did a little research this morning while getting blasted with all my morning emails, at the end, GM marketed the large 2 door SUV as just "Blazer" It was never referred to as K5 Blazer although perhaps it was known in internal documents as such (kind like some people know my 4Runner is build on a 120 chassis) Here is a link Chevrolet Blazer
Then it appears the K5 Blazer was rebranded as Tahoe in mid cycle, kinda like how the Scion iM was then changed to Toyota iM.
Correct, the "K5" was an internal code that was used to differentiate the bigger Blazer from the smaller Blazer when the smaller vehicle came out.
Old 11-20-18, 06:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

These statements are wrong, because the differentiation you were making between "Blazer" and "Trail Blazer" was not correct, and you forgot the existence of the 4 Door S10 Blazer and subsequent 4 door 5 passenger Blazers from the 1990s, clearly when you said the S10 Blazer was 2 door. Just admit that, its very clear by your own statements.

Add to that. Every S-10 Blazer design as well as the 1995 Blazer design offered 2 door versions of the mid size design. So in fact, every Blazer whether it was K, S10 or just Blazer offered two door models.

The point stands though. There is no sacrilege with using the name Blazer on a 4 door vehicle, if that was sacrilege, that's a sacrilege GM committed almost 30 years ago. There is no sacrilege committed by making this vehicle a smaller vehicle, again that sacrilege was committed 30 years ago. The argument about it being unibody is a different argument, that would have a valid point.
If there was, it happened in the mid 1990s when they dropped the K5 Blazer and went to Tahoe. I think that change to Tahoe is a bigger insult. It would be like if all Land Cruiser models were changed to Sequoia and then 4Runner were changed to Land Cruisers and Rav4s were changed to 4Runners.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-20-18 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-20-18, 06:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Add to that. Every S-10 Blazer design as well as the 1995 Blazer design offered 2 door version of the mid size design.

If there was, it happened in the mid 1990s when they dropped the K5 Blazer and went to Tahoe. I think that change to Tahoe is a bigger insult. It would like if all Land Cruiser models were changed to Sequoia and then 4Runner were changed to Land Cruisers and Rav4s were changed to 4Runners.
Correct, there was NEVER a S10 Blazer that was only available in 2 doors.
Old 11-20-18, 11:22 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Correct, there was NEVER a S10 Blazer that was only available in 2 doors.
No--this is not correct:

In March 1990, 4-door versions of the S-10 Blazer and Jimmy were introduced as a 1991 model; the 4-door had a 6.5in longer wheelbase
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_S-10_Blazer

Old 11-20-18, 01:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
No--this is not correct:
I stand corrected, I didn't realize that.

See Mike, that wasn't so hard.
Old 11-20-18, 01:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670

what at are we correcting? The K5, S10 Blazer and Blazer were all available in 2 door while the S10 and Blazer also offered 4 door.
Old 11-20-18, 01:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

what at are we correcting? The K5, S10 Blazer and Blazer were all available in 2 door while the S10 and Blazer also offered 4 door.
The S10 Blazer was made for a long time just as a 2 door before it was also released in a 4 Door. I had said the opposite, thats what he was rightfully correcting.

S10 Blazer came out in 1983 as a 2 door only, 4 door came in 1991.
Old 11-20-18, 01:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The S10 Blazer was made for a long time just as a 2 door before it was also released in a 4 Door. I had said the opposite, thats what he was rightfully correcting.

S10 Blazer came out in 1983 as a 2 door only, 4 door came in 1991.
Wow. Look at that. I was not aware. Glad somebody checked the facts 100%.
Old 11-20-18, 02:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

See, we can be wrong! Aint the end of the world!
Old 11-20-18, 03:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Nobody here is throwing rocks either way, Steve......or at least, should not be. That's not the purpose of these Car Chat threads.
Old 11-20-18, 03:30 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Correct, the "K5" was an internal code that was used to differentiate the bigger Blazer from the smaller Blazer when the smaller vehicle came out.
That is incorrect. The K5 designation dates all the way back to the original Blazer in 1969, which was spun off from Chevrolet's C/K line of trucks. It is not a an internal code, but a model line designation.

The K5 fender emblem shows up on older full size Blazers and is part of a large aftermarket industry supplying restorers. Why would Chevy want to use K5 to differentiate the big Blazer from the baby Blazer when people could obviously see the difference in front of their eyes?
Old 11-20-18, 03:36 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nobody here is throwing rocks either way, Steve......or at least, should not be. That's not the purpose of these Car Chat threads.
Before this thread went off kilter, did you mean originally to say that full size Chevy Blazers were two doors from 1969 to 1989? That's what I thought. And we haven't even talked about two door Chevy Tahoes have we, lol.
Old 11-20-18, 03:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
That is incorrect. The K5 designation dates all the way back to the original Blazer in 1969, which was spun off from Chevrolet's C/K line of trucks. It is not a an internal code, but a model line designation.
If that's the case then I stand corrected again.

Old 11-20-18, 04:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Before this thread went off kilter, did you mean originally to say that full size Chevy Blazers were two doors from 1969 to 1989? That's what I thought.
Yes, correct. I went to high school with the first Blazers, in 1969. I At the time, they were brought out (in a somewhat larger size) in response to Ford's success in the mid-late 1960s with the smaller but notoriously tipsy two-door Bronco. Back then, SUVs were strictly off-road vehicles, used mostly by farmers, ranchers, hunters, and back-woods folks. You didn't see many of them on dry pavement, as it could be a PITA to lock/unlock the front wheel hubs manually and use the hand-shift transfer case. And, because of driveline-binding, you couldn't use the part-time 4WD system on hard pavement....the more flexible, center-differential AWD systems from AMC, Subaru, and Audi were still a good ten years or more in the future. As I remember, only one kid in our whole school drove a Blazer...and he worked a part-time job after school where he hauled some things.

Exactly when the last full-size two-door Blazers were built is somewhat unclear because the basic platform was renamed the Tahoe in 1994, and some sources indicate that two-door Blazers (and two-door Tahoes) were in production for another 5 years, until 1999. I won't vouch for the accuracy of any of those sources....and which is which. Besides, as you noted, the whole thread got off kilter (me included)....the real question is if the new Blazer will sell.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-20-18 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-20-18, 06:10 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Happy to be of service.

Quick Reply: 2019 Chevy Blazer