Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Valet drivers never cease to amaze me

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-18, 11:19 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 394 Likes on 267 Posts
Default Valet drivers never cease to amaze me

I'm amazed at how often I get in my car and my seat is in a different position for someone who is quite often parking the car no more than 100 yards away from where I'm dropping it. Hotels, restaurants, businesses, etc. that offer valet service it happens all the time. This morning my seat was contorted in all kinds of different ways - even including my headrest being raised. I would totally understand if the valet driver was a completely different height/build than me, but I'm 6'1" so most of the time we're talking maybe 2-4 inches of height difference if the valet driver is male. Why are you messing with my headrest??! I'm struggling to understand why you have to play with that many things to drive the car such a short distance. Thank goodness for memory seats.

Am I alone here?
Old 06-22-18, 11:26 AM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I actually asked the same question to myself when I get the vehicles back from service. They don't mess with the presets but when I get back in I'm listening to a radio station I'm not familiar with.
You would think they leave it alone or atleast change it back to where it was but...oh cest la vie.
Old 06-22-18, 12:09 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

This is why memory seats is a must have in all my cars. With my injuries and disabilities, it is very frustrating when my seats get moved, it can take me weeks to get it back into a position that does not induce discomfort or out right pain.

it's also why I have stopped using valet services for the most part, between them messing with the vehicle features or flat out abusing the car, I would rather park it myself and walk than drop off with a valet.
Old 06-22-18, 01:01 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Install bucket seat and record reactions.
Old 06-22-18, 01:19 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
This is why memory seats is a must have in all my cars. With my injuries and disabilities, it is very frustrating when my seats get moved, it can take me weeks to get it back into a position that does not induce discomfort or out right pain.

it's also why I have stopped using valet services for the most part, between them messing with the vehicle features or flat out abusing the car, I would rather park it myself and walk than drop off with a valet.
Simple, remove the power seat fuse. they can't adjust it and there are no manual levers to adjust them either.
Old 06-22-18, 02:02 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its important to get in the right driving position even for 100yrds.
Old 06-22-18, 02:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't use valets. I simply don't park (or spend my money) in places where valet-service is mandatory.
Old 06-22-18, 02:47 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Simple, remove the power seat fuse. they can't adjust it and there are no manual levers to adjust them either.
I shouldn't have to do anything like that.. I have memory seats so it's not a big issue.

the bigger issue is jack-hats abusing the car, hard accel, hard corning, sitting there revving the engine, etc. Basic disrespect of someone else's property.
Old 06-22-18, 04:30 PM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Simple answer is to ask Lexus to provide valet driving mode in the future.

This mode doesn't allow stranger to change certain of your settings, and also immediately report to your cell phone when your car is droven xxx miles or yards away. Furthermore, it can record its driving route for a proof later.
Old 06-22-18, 05:15 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

because of the opposite extreme.

Super short girl,
you can't even get in, so you must adjust the seat.

these days, it's probably assumed you will use your presets.
Old 06-22-18, 05:36 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Easiest solution is don't use valet's.

I have never used valet nor will I ever after seeing what they do with cars and hearing stories what they do with cars and there have been cases where the valet damaged or destroyed someone's car and the valet/place did not cover the damages or accept any responsibility and they got away with it.

I will drive and park my own car.
Old 06-22-18, 09:30 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't use valets. I simply don't park (or spend my money) in places where valet-service is mandatory.
Same here, I hate valets...
Old 06-22-18, 10:27 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Last time I had it valeted, they spilled soda inbetween my seat and center console. Took a week to figure out where the stain and smell came from. How hard is it to park a vehicle and not make a mess in it? Haven't used them since.
Old 06-23-18, 07:29 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UDel
Easiest solution is don't use valet's.

I have never used valet nor will I ever after seeing what they do with cars and hearing stories what they do with cars and there have been cases where the valet damaged or destroyed someone's car and the valet/place did not cover the damages or accept any responsibility and they got away with it.

I will drive and park my own car.
Same I've never valeted my car. Neither am I letting some stranger touch my car, nor am I willing to part with my money.
Old 06-24-18, 03:11 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,880 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Used valet parking twice this weekend, and the car was just as I left it.

Now, I have had my seat AND steering wheel completely out of whack after getting an oil change, however.

Quick Reply: Valet drivers never cease to amaze me