Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

L460 FSport vs. Rc350 sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-18 | 12:38 PM
Essiedub
Driver School Candidate

Default L460 FSport vs. Rc350 sport

Hello! New to the forum but a longtime LS owner (04 LS430), which I love. I had that weird downshifting problem and am now looking at a new transmission. Anyway, my dilemna is this and may be a strange question. Has anyone considered a RC vs. LS? While at dealership, They had a 2017 LS460 Fsport (FSport only because I like the front grill) and also chanced upon the RC350 sport. I test drove both and liked both. My rational side says LS but I really the look of the RC (though I don't love the tight back seat) . Is this really like comparing apples to oranges? I am not considering the new LS500 because it is V6.
Old 07-02-18 | 01:12 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Isn't the RC a V6 like the new LS500..?
Old 07-02-18 | 01:35 PM
Essiedub
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Isn't the RC a V6 like the new LS500..?

Jmckinley, you are right. The RC is V6 and I am ok with that. I just don’t want a V6 LS. If I stay with LS, i prefer the smoothness of a V8. The dilemna is switching out of LS into something different altogether..in this case an RC. I just wonder if I will like it in the long run..just because I like the way it looks. For example, I REALLY like the way an Audi A7 looks but the practical side of me could could never deal with the reliability issues. I think that’s the issue, the practical side keeps saying LS, while The RC appeals on an “ooh aah” level. I’m just flummoxed. I know that car purchases are marketed to emotional appeal and this RC kind of got me. Even the sales person was surprised..noting “well that was unexpected”

wondering if we LS drivers would ever switch to RC?
Old 07-02-18 | 01:57 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Essiedub

Jmckinley, you are right. The RC is V6 and I am ok with that. I just don’t want a V6 LS. If I stay with LS, i prefer the smoothness of a V8. The dilemna is switching out of LS into something different altogether..in this case an RC. I just wonder if I will like it in the long run..just because I like the way it looks. For example, I REALLY like the way an Audi A7 looks but the practical side of me could could never deal with the reliability issues. I think that’s the issue, the practical side keeps saying LS, while The RC appeals on an “ooh aah” level. I’m just flummoxed. I know that car purchases are marketed to emotional appeal and this RC kind of got me. Even the sales person was surprised..noting “well that was unexpected”

wondering if we LS drivers would ever switch to RC?
Gotcha. I'm not trying to talk you out of Lexus, but have to at least ask (as someone who loves Audi designs) - if you're looking at an LS500 (brand new) and an RC (new or pretty close), wouldn't you be looking at an Audi that would be new or new enough to be covered under warranty? I wouldn't hesitate having an Audi covered under warranty. A7's and S7's are really beautiful cars and may scratch the itch you're looking for...
Old 07-02-18 | 02:06 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

ls460 vs rc350 really is apples vs oranges. totally different cars.
Old 07-02-18 | 02:47 PM
rmason
Driver

They had a 2017 LS460 Fsport (FSport only because I like the front grill) and also chanced upon the RC350 sport. I test drove both and liked both. Is this really like comparing apples to oranges?
Granted you liked both of them after a test drive, did they feel pretty similar to you? If they did, you may want to consider other models as well.
Old 07-02-18 | 03:19 PM
Essiedub
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for indulging me

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Gotcha. I'm not trying to talk you out of Lexus, but have to at least ask (as someone who loves Audi designs) - if you're looking at an LS500 (brand new) and an RC (new or pretty close), wouldn't you be looking at an Audi that would be new or new enough to be covered under warranty? I wouldn't hesitate having an Audi covered under warranty. A7's and S7's are really beautiful cars and may scratch the itch you're looking for...
This is the problem. As you can see I have been driving my 04 LS430 since it came off the lot - 14 years. I buy and keep. I'm not worried about a car while it's under warranty, it's the years thereafter. And during warranty, if something goes wrong, it would really annoy me ( I really detest car repair issues..but I digress) Anyway, this is what makes me a Lexus owner. No fuss no muss..well, that is, until my sudden transmission issue 2 weeks ago. THey want me to replace the transmission at $5K after a $1100 solenoid replacement that did not solve the problem. So I started to think that perhaps I shouldn't be putting $6000 into a car that's worth about that (even though it's worth more to me as a working car) THis is when I wandered into the sales showroom and saw the used 2017 LS Sport. Was I surprised that a the price drops 20-30% on a used 12-18 month old LS - why would I ever buy new again? I have never bought a used car so this was an eye-opener. I absolutely love the quiet in my LS and figured that it will always be an LS from here on out. THen I saw the RC and it was like "ooh cool" -

Long story short, I decided to go forward with the transmission replacement so I could buy time to decide whether I really want a new car or just stay with my trusty 430, which now has a new transmission, control arms, brakes, etc.... There are a lot of kindred spirits over on the LS forum but no one mentioned considering an RC..so here I am.

Originally Posted by Stereorob
ls460 vs rc350 really is apples vs oranges. totally different cars.
agree...hence the dilemna...orange or apple? I know this is all personal preference

Originally Posted by rmason
Granted you liked both of them after a test drive, did they feel pretty similar to you? If they did, you may want to consider other models as well.
If I am honest, I like the RC based on its looks - plus of course the expected Lexus reliability. I'm not even sure if it's as quiet as an LS (since you really can't tell on a short test drive) Perhaps my expectations are different because it was not an LS. I am not a spec kind of person..they all have enough speed and power for the day-to-day driving I do. In fact, the reviews I read, people dislike the weight of the RC..and that is what I like. It is weighty like my LS. I am thinking that the RC might just be the goldilocks car, as I've always wanted a "sports car" that is cushy and lux ( I know ..that's an oxymoron but it seems Lexus might have done it?) But I still worry that I am succumbing to emotion based on its looks, when in fact, I may just be an LS kind of person ( and it definitely has a demographic profile - ha!)

Old 07-02-18 | 03:43 PM
rmason
Driver

I've had the ls about 6 years ago.
One thing is for sure. The RC cabin is not as quiet or comfy as the LS.
My wife is not at all a car person but she enjoys visuals as much as driving her red RC every time she does.
She usually drives the speed limit but these says, she has admitted going over 85 on occasions.
The other day she called me on the way home to tell me "this thing glides on the fwy like it's on ice, I love it!"

If it excites you and that what you're looking for, its not a bad choice.
Old 07-02-18 | 04:15 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Why not a RCF?
Old 07-03-18 | 04:57 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Definitely get an RCF!

The 5.0 V8 is very reliable.
Old 07-03-18 | 08:38 AM
arentz07

Originally Posted by gs400998
Why not a RCF?
Thank you. This way, you get an RC, while still having a V8, which you seem to like.

They really are two different kinds of car. Have you thought about looking at a GS 350? It'd be a nice middle ground between an LS and an RC.
Old 07-04-18 | 06:37 PM
Essiedub
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arentz07
Thank you. This way, you get an RC, while still having a V8, which you seem to like.

They really are two different kinds of car. Have you thought about looking at a GS 350? It'd be a nice middle ground between an LS and an RC.
Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Definitely get an RCF!

The 5.0 V8 is very reliable.
Originally Posted by gs400998
Why not a RCF?
Ok i know, it’s like I’m all over the place..I want the V8 in an LS because that’s what I have now. While I was Lusting for the RC, I did look briefly at the RCF ..cool isnt it?! but I really don't want a hot rod! I am the Lexus driver that’s in it for the quiet comfortable ride.
Old 07-04-18 | 06:55 PM
Essiedub
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rmason
I've had the ls about 6 years ago.
One thing is for sure. The RC cabin is not as quiet or comfy as the LS.
My wife is not at all a car person but she enjoys visuals as much as driving her red RC every time she does.
She usually drives the speed limit but these says, she has admitted going over 85 on occasions.
The other day she called me on the way home to tell me "this thing glides on the fwy like it's on ice, I love it!"

If it excites you and that what you're looking for, its not a bad choice.

Thank you for this. I stopped into the dealership to test drive the RC again. Yes, that RC is loud and stiff in sport mode. I just like the way it looks. All looks. The salesman humored me..noting that the 2 really are at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of comfort and noise..noise being my number one issue. I LOVE when people refer to the LS as quiet as a tomb. So sadly, as much as I Really really really love the look of the RC, until my hearing starts to degrade, it is off the table. Sad really. I must have been under some duress last week when I thought that the LS and RC were similar.

Originally Posted by arentz07

Yes after yesterday’s RC test drive, I realize, I am an LS person. As much as I aspire to an RC..and I did sit in a GS. If it isnt gong to look as cool as the RC, then it is LS all the way for me. Someone on this forum mentioned an LS being like a hockey puck on ice, yup that’s what I want. I am an LS through and through. So I love the way the new LS500 looks..surprised that so many may loyal LS fans hate the design..but that’s another thread!

Ok! In other news, I got my LS430 back (with new transmission, control arms, and struts) yay! I am glad I decided to go forward with all the repairs. Gosh, I really do love this car. Maybe the 460 could stay in the picture, but at least the pressure’s off. Thanks for all your thoughts!
Old 07-05-18 | 10:02 PM
GS3Tek

Ok i know, it’s like I’m all over the place..I want the V8 in an LS because that’s what I have now. While I was Lusting for the RC, I did look briefly at the RCF ..cool isnt it?! but I really don't want a hot rod! I am the Lexus driver that’s in it for the quiet comfortable ride.
then -----------------------------> LC500
Old 07-06-18 | 08:05 AM
arentz07

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
then -----------------------------> LC500
That's the best of both worlds - stylish two-door with a smooth V8. But, you gotta pay to get it. For sure if I had $100k to spend on a car but could only get one, the LC would be near the top of the list.

Quick Reply: L460 FSport vs. Rc350 sport