Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Texas Dealership Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-18 | 01:15 PM
Hillguy
Driver School Candidate

Default Texas Dealership Recommendations

Currently live between San Antonio and Austin and the market for an RX 350 L. I am willing to travel as far as the Houston and DFW areas for the best deal. Can anyone recommend specific dealers and if you had a recent purchase, can you advise what percentage off of MSRP you received please. Thanks much.
Old 07-12-18 | 02:11 PM
Hoovey689

The only one I know and really ever hear about is Sewell Lexus.
Old 07-12-18 | 02:48 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Stay away from Houston area dealerships, No good deals to be had; they are too drunk with high volume sales to soccer moms. Most of my neighbors shop online and all of them got the best deals from Sewell Lexus from DFW area.
Old 07-13-18 | 08:11 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

I'll add to the Sewell Lexus in DFW area - Park Place can give them a run for their money but Sewell *usually* has the inventory selection and absolutely astounding customer service/post-sale follow through.
Old 07-13-18 | 08:33 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CEOEngr
Stay away from Houston area dealerships, No good deals to be had; they are too drunk with high volume sales to soccer moms. Most of my neighbors shop online and all of them got the best deals from Sewell Lexus from DFW area.
Might vary by region but in Phila. at the end of June RX-L's were crowding the lots and $5k off was the price of a $56,xxx listed one upon initial contact...
Old 07-13-18 | 12:50 PM
Hillguy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your replies. So far the best offer is $2,000 under dealer invoice before the $1,000 cash back from Lexus. I am still working it. This Club Lexus site has been a great help.
Old 07-13-18 | 02:12 PM
Hoovey689

If you're already getting below invoice, you should be happy. Not saying there isn't anymore discount you could find, but anything below invoice, the dealer is losing money. The Sales department does not make money anymore thanks to the internet. Service and finance do. But if you're buying from somewhere else other than locally, I highly doubt you'll be servicing there. So they're doing you a huge favor and not getting anything in return other than one more tally on their sales board. Don't expect to get a Lexus thermos or key chain. You took them for everything already
Old 07-13-18 | 04:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hillguy
Thanks for your replies.

This Club Lexus site has been a great help.

Good luck on the search. When you get your new RX-L (or even before) come on back and be a regular part of Car Chat. We'd like to have you.

Just one word of caution on the RX-L, though. Make sure that, when you examine and/or test-drive the one you are considering for purchase, that you have the number of people you plan to regularly carry in it with you....and that they will fit reasonably well. Lexus, when they added the third-row seat in the L version, did not do a very good job of re-engineering or extending the vehicle to fit in the seat, and things can get pretty tight and crowded in there, especially for adults.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-13-18 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-14-18 | 03:47 PM
Hillguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good luck on the search. When you get your new RX-L (or even before) come on back and be a regular part of Car Chat. We'd like to have you.

Just one word of caution on the RX-L, though. Make sure that, when you examine and/or test-drive the one you are considering for purchase, that you have the number of people you plan to regularly carry in it with you....and that they will fit reasonably well. Lexus, when they added the third-row seat in the L version, did not do a very good job of re-engineering or extending the vehicle to fit in the seat, and things can get pretty tight and crowded in there, especially for adults.
Thank-you very much for prompting me to do some more research. While we were not intending to use the 3rd row seat with any regularity, we did think we would get more cargo space. But after going back to the specs, there is only about 2 more cubic feet of space in the L with the 2nd row of seats folded down and there is less space underneath the tonneau cover on the L with the 2nd row of seats in the up position. So now we are going to go with the regular 350 and save a good bit of money.
Old 07-15-18 | 01:21 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

I used to work for Sewell in Fort Worth. Nice guys, but do not tell them you travelled just to look at their inventory. The Dallas Sewell dealership is massive.
Old 07-16-18 | 08:38 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Just use email and ask for a quote on exactly what you're looking for - do not call or give them your phone # until you agree on a price.
Old 07-16-18 | 10:09 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bagwell
Just use email and ask for a quote on exactly what you're looking for - do not call or give them your phone # until you agree on a price.
Most salesmen won't play that game. Their managers rarely give out "best deals" via email with no other contact. They are trained to not do that. He might have better luck if he did call instead of playing hardball.
Old 07-16-18 | 10:29 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TXgearhead
Most salesmen won't play that game. Their managers rarely give out "best deals" via email with no other contact. They are trained to not do that. He might have better luck if he did call instead of playing hardball.
Internet sales has become big business, if they don't wanna play ball go on to the next dealer.
Old 07-16-18 | 10:52 AM
MacCat
Rookie

Originally Posted by bagwell
I agree.
I loved my RX 350 2010 model.
I bought another one, 2015 model in February from the Austin Lexus dealer.
They have a new store out at Lakeway, which is way more convenient than north Austin.
I picked out the model I wanted and secured it in email.
The purchase took two hours total, with a fresh inspection, registration and new tires.

Email is a good way to document your conversations and quotes.
Old 07-16-18 | 11:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
If you're already getting below invoice, you should be happy. Not saying there isn't anymore discount you could find, but anything below invoice, the dealer is losing money. The Sales department does not make money anymore thanks to the internet. Service and finance do. But if you're buying from somewhere else other than locally, I highly doubt you'll be servicing there. So they're doing you a huge favor and not getting anything in return other than one more tally on their sales board. Don't expect to get a Lexus thermos or key chain. You took them for everything already
I've never worked in the car business but I don't believe this to be true. Below invoice does not mean dealer losing money. There are so many bogus fees involved with a vehicle purchase, and many chances to recoup, extended warranties, paint protection, etc.

Not with German cars, but with most cars, there is a holdback, which is a built in dealer protection (they sell at invoice, it's actually still a 3% margin). Then, there are incentives to the dealership. My wife's car was well below invoice (GM) and the finance guy turned his screen around and it had a big red box with -$9xx. I honestly wish I could have gotten a print so I could see all the numbers. He claimed that he doesn't know why they would do this deal but he's not the general manager. He stated that ego and other incentives may be why. I said can you clarify what you meant by ego? He then said at times the general manager wants bragging rights, such as highest volume dealer in the region, etc.

Again, common sense, my dad's Buick was $39,xxx, and he got it out the door for $31,xxx incl. sales tax (6.35%). He was well below invoice. As long as you drive off, the dealer made money. You just want them to make so little that the lights are turning off on Broadway...

Quick Reply: Texas Dealership Recommendations