Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A car in the hand...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-18, 02:34 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430

Back in the 70's I would guess there was more of an honor system, and it was more commonplace to order something the way you want it, not take something off the lot, because money didn't grow on trees back then the way it does today! lol

I had Lexus and Infiniti explicitly tell me when they say order, it's not like BMW. We get the car, we call you to tell you it's here. you buy it (what's to stop them from selling it to someone who liked it and is willing to pay more?). The mfg. has no clue who you are haha So I wonder on the '72 Pontiac, would GM have known who is getting this production?
Back then with lack of technology, my guess is that they either called, or used a teletype machine to transmit orders, and I doubt GM knew the individual getting the vehicle. I ordered my 79 Corvette as well, from a small town dealer a buddy knew. Typically around here there was a large Chevy dealer that would buy up the allotments of the small town dealers where there was not a Corvette market, so mine was at the same price the large dealer was willing to pay. Back then too there were not as many options (although more colors), so should someone back out, the car was not generally not hard to sell.
Old 07-18-18, 07:27 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by wasjr
Back then with lack of technology, my guess is that they either called, or used a teletype machine to transmit orders, and I doubt GM knew the individual getting the vehicle. I ordered my 79 Corvette as well, from a small town dealer a buddy knew. Typically around here there was a large Chevy dealer that would buy up the allotments of the small town dealers where there was not a Corvette market, so mine was at the same price the large dealer was willing to pay. Back then too there were not as many options (although more colors), so should someone back out, the car was not generally not hard to sell.
Remember that movie, "The Last Picture Show?" You made me think of that when you said small town. I have no doubt whatsoever, that there was a time, and still is a place, where someone's word is just that. I told you it will be the way you want and have requested, and it turns out to be the case. Ordering a car optioned the way you want without computers, it can be done. Today, there are computers, and things are easily messed up. Not by the computers, but by people. That's why when a few weeks into my BMW order the color was wrong, I had to take their word for it the order is for space gray, not black sapphire. lol

btw the GM dealership just called, so I mentioned that the state inspection was botched. The price was wrong and the month was changed--even the person calling who schedules apts. said of course, you can inspect 90 days early and the month stays the same. I said I left a message for the SA and he never called me back. She said hold on I will walk back there and find out what's going on--came back, said I just spoke to the asst. mgr., he said no problem bring the car back we will resolve the issues. This is why I tell myself don't get mad, weigh the gravity of the mistake, then if you can live with it, do so. I was gonna mention the mistake next time, and fully expected them to straighten it out. You have a scraper of some sort, and stickers with numbers? Well put a 9/19 on my car lol

Back to the OPs situation, get er did 6 hours away, forget the local guy....
Old 07-18-18, 07:51 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
fly and go get it, done deal. Done this numerous times.
I never purchase a car whether it is brand new or used without seeing it myself.
Old 07-18-18, 09:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
I never purchase a car whether it is brand new or used without seeing it myself.
my cousin bought a "mint" 530i wagon online, and had it shipped to Brooklyn, NY, from Miami. Everytime he works on it, he finds more damage that he was not aware of. Super low price, and luckily he can DIY a whole lot more than I can, but it amazes me how all the detailed online pics didn't reveal any of it...even with new, like you say, have to see it. And it should never have more than 10 miles, closer to 3. I don't share car dealers' opinion that 48 or 320 is still new just because it never got titled and only 5-20 joyrode in it...