Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why does an S class intimidate so many people?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-18, 10:12 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think you certainly can like soft and cushy cars and be an enthusiast, I certainly am.
I don’t see how somebody who doesn’t love a car that they own or at least have some car they aspire to have that they love can be considered a car enthusiast.
Interesting potential debate on the definition of an enthusiast. Does an enthusiast have to own or pursue owning certain types of cars? Do they have to be knowledgeable of different engine specs, etc? Could someone who only owns a 20 year old clunker van but is very knowledgeable on all makes/models, participates in some form of racing or competition with someone else's car, understands technical and specification data on cars & engines, etc. be an enthusiast? I'd argue anyone who spends time to learn at very deep levels on any subject that they are an "enthusiast" about that subject. If someone asked me "are you a car guy?" I don't really know how I would respond. I love cars and can tell you with close to 100% accuracy which car is behind me at night based on the headlights I see in my rear view mirror. I don't understand much at all as it pertains to engines nor am I even remotely competent mechanically to fix things. I don't know sophisticated driving techniques for sports cars but I love to really drive a sports car and have done a handful of exotic car track experiences and performed very well compared to others in the group. I only buy used cars and hang onto them for very long periods of time. So I'd describe myself as someone who "loves cars" from a design and feature perspective, but when I talk to other folks who describe themselves as "car guys" - including lots and lots of folks on this forum - I discover how little I actually know. Maybe those are the enthusiasts and I'm just someone who appreciates the aesthetic elements of cars? I'm the same way with watches. I have a handful of nice watches that get some attention when I wear them. Some people will strike up conversations and tell me about the sophistication of the movement of the watch. For me, I just love the way the fashion element of watches and have no interest in the movement. Maybe I'm not technically a "watch guy" either..

EDIT: I am using the term "car guy" because I'm male - not trying to exclude women from the conversation.

Last edited by jrmckinley; 07-29-18 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-29-18, 10:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Whether intended or not, your posts especially on this subject come across that way. Your “opinions” are full of strong declarative statements (an S Class is a huge waste of money” “we simply value wealth” as in, someone who buys an S class is ignorant to the value of money and doesn’t value wealth. The reaction your posts on this subject get from multiple posters should show you how they are coming across.

Im shocked you own a boat. A boat is a higely
expensive thing to own. Tons of maintenance, docking costs, etc. I suppose you’ve decided that for you the enjoyment of owning a boat is worth the enormous cost of that. Somehow you’re still able to “prioritize wealth” huh?

I guarantee it costs you more every year to own that boat than it costs me to drive my LS460, and likely would for me to drive an S Class.

So you’re prioritizong enjoyment over sound financial sense just like the rest of us, just on a different thing.

Theres this idea that people who buy or lease expensive cars are just doing something that’s totally financially stupid. Well, from a purely financial sense it is, but often these people who pass judgement on us have other things in their lives they spend a ton of money on that are equally as stupid. Like owning a boat. Or belonging to a country club, or buying timeshares, or expensive jewelry, or huge houses that they don’t need. I have a buddy who gives me a hard time (in fun) but he spends $800 a month to belong to a country club he never uses. He’s literally paying for nothing, at least I get to drive and enjoy my extravagance every day.
My opinion is definitely not final nor is it more right or wrong than anyone else’s. I am sorry for coming on strong if that is how you perceived it but that was never my intention to upset or offend anyone if that was the case I have repeatedly said that my income and funds go towards other things than higher priced cars. Owning a boat is an incredibly wasteful way of spending ones resources. So is a country club however doing things for enjoyment costs money and how ones wants to spend their money is their choice, we do that just like everyone else on here. I will elaborate more later if you are up for more discussion. Never would of wanted for you to think I was judging you, if you felt that way, then my sincere apologies.
Old 07-29-18, 10:38 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

My opinion is definitely not final nor is it more right or wrong than anyone else’s. I am sorry for coming on strong if that is how you perceived it but that was never my intention to upset or offend anyone if that was the case I have repeatedly said that my income and funds go towards other things than higher priced cars. Owning a boat is an incredibly wasteful way of spending ones resources. So is a country club however doing things for enjoyment costs money and how ones wants to spend their money is their choice, we do that just like everyone else on here. I will elaborate more later if you are up for more discussion. Never would of wanted for you to think I was judging you, if you felt that way, then my sincere apologies.
I have to give you credit - in several threads I recall over the last year or so I've seen you openly acknowledge being wrong, apologize, and also openly accept someone else's point of view (which you did in this thread about 10 posts ago). Not many people seem to own up to things like this anymore. I do think sometimes your writing style may come across differently than how you intend and therefore it gets interpreted in a manner you may not understand. I take some of your posts one way and then see later in the thread that maybe you weren't meaning to come across as "harsh" or "direct" as I originally thought. Just my $.02 but I definitely think there are some classic examples, just like emails, where the written word comes across very differently than how one intended. I also see this sometimes when English is a 2nd language and how someone attempts to translate things over comes across very harsh or direct.

Nonetheless, kudos for being a big enough person to see the other side and not have to feel right 100% of the time.
Old 07-29-18, 10:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Can you elaborate on why you feel marketing plays a role in fun factor ideals? To me the 2 couldn't possibly be correlated but maybe I don't understand what you're saying without details and/or examples.
Just observe the marketing and how vehicles are portrayed in media such as commercials, film, television, ads and reviews. For the most part, the companies pay for the brand to be in a movie or what not. Just saw Mission Impossible this past Friday and the BMW brand is quite prevalent in the movie. It is all designed to portray and generally target some sore of lifestyle that the viewer responds to with some sort emotional response. Most people drive sensible transportation. Would I like a Fiat Spyder? absolutely. Is my 4Runner supposed to provide fun factor? The marketing says it should. Right?

So the Lexus LS460 goes down the highway at 62db at 70MPH with a drag of 26.co right? Well Lexus decided to pump engine noise into the cabin, add Runonflat tires to help with weight issues, and up the drag co to .27 to make it more fun. All marketing IMO.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-29-18 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-29-18, 11:17 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Just observe the marketing and how vehicles are portrayed in media such as commercials, film, television, ads and reviews. For the most part, the companies pay for the brand to be in a movie or what not. Just saw Mission Impossible this past Friday and the BMW brand is quite prevalent in the movie. It is all designed to portray and generally target some sore of lifestyle that the viewer responds to with some sort emotional response. Most people drive sensible transportation. Would I like a Fiat Spyder? absolutely. Is my 4Runner supposed to provide fun factor? The marketing says it should. Right?

So the Lexus LS460 goes down the highway at 62db at 70MPH with a drag of 26.co right? Well Lexus decided to pump engine noise into the cabin, add Runonflat tires to help with weight issues, and up the drag co to .27 to make it more fun. All marketing IMO.
Well your 4Runner is potentially more "fun" than a Honda Civic if you like to do things like go camping along a trail that a car couldn't access. I've never seen Toyota marketing the 4Runner as "fun" in a definition of being fun to drive. It may be fun to own because it may give you access to explore places that you couldn't in a traditional car. I understand what you're saying about marketing's role - however the "fun factor" I see in a TV commercial is not going to over-ride the experience/sensation I get when I actually drive the car. If Honda had all of their commercials about a sport Civic model showing people really pushing the car and driving it hard on a winding road ("fun" in one respect) I would probably look back at those commercials and feel Honda missed the mark after driving the car. Projecting luxury is no different- if a brand promotes a car as being highly luxurious and then you sit in it and see cheap materials, the doors don't feel solid when they close, etc. - what are you going to believe? The commercial or your own senses and instincts? Marketing's job is to project an image that gets you to the dealership to give the brand a chance. They also act in helping define or re-define the overall image of the brand - you're seeing re-defining of Wells Fargo and, frankly, lots of Toyota and Lexus products as we speak (Avalon, LS, etc).
Old 07-29-18, 12:20 PM
hawtlawyer
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

An S Class is intimidating? Never even remotely thought that. Neither the S Class or the LS is my thing, but gun to the head and spending MY money, I'd take a Lexus every time. If I had someone else's money, I'd choose the Mercedes. Just prefer the exterior more. In fact, I think Mercedes and Jaguar have some of the most beautiful cars (Although the new LS is fire), but their reliability pales next to a Lexus. I know the original poster said disregard reliability , but that is the main reason I will never buy Mercedes again. I've had 4 Lexus and never paid for a repair. One Mercedes and it stayed in the shop. Kept the POS a year and a half, and traded it in for an SC 430. I will never buy a car that leaves me stranded. And btw, when I was stranded at the Mercedes dealership because of that POS, it was the Lexus salesperson who offered to have me picked up and driven home (I had to cancel my appointment with him because the Mercedes broke down). Now that is service!
Old 07-29-18, 12:40 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Very interesting responses in this thread. I think it is natural to feel a little outclassed next to an S. I dont know if I would feel intimidated, I am not drag racing my LS against the S next to me after all. I do perceive the S as "better" in terms of prestige and power, but that's expected since it does carry a heftier premium. In my mind, it isn't so much intimidation as just being in a slightly higher class. If reliability was a non-factor then I would have went with an S and I really like the styling since 2014. All factors considered though, I am plenty comfortable and self-assured while sitting in my LS next to an S. I can appreciate what the S offers and acknowledge that it doesn't check all the boxes for me. S, LS, A8 are all very nice cars. For some reason I'm not as impressed with the 7-series. I wouldn't mind owning a Z8 in my automotive fantasies though.
Old 07-29-18, 12:52 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hawtlawyer
And btw, when I was stranded at the Mercedes dealership because of that POS, it was the Lexus salesperson who offered to have me picked up and driven home (I had to cancel my appointment with him because the Mercedes broke down). Now that is service!
That is an absolutely brilliant move by the Lexus sales person.
Old 07-29-18, 12:57 PM
hawtlawyer
Rookie

That is an absolutely brilliant move by the Lexus sales person.
Absofreakinglutely! #Lexusforlife
Old 07-29-18, 01:08 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

As a parallel, I wonder if 460 owners are intimidated next to a 600hL? Or does an ES/GS owner feel inferior or inadequate next to an LS on the road?

Last edited by FatherTo1; 07-29-18 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-29-18, 01:22 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hawtlawyer
Absofreakinglutely! #Lexusforlife
Yeah, how could you not be after that? The psychological aspect of what he did is so powerful that I can't imagine how you could leave the brand. Lexus rescued you from the brand that abandoned you...! Incredible.
Old 07-29-18, 01:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I think to somebody that really doesn’t enjoy cars and driving, no car is “fun”.
Maybe a Toyota Prius LOL.

Old 07-29-18, 01:36 PM
hawtlawyer
Rookie

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
As a parallel, I wonder if 460 owners are intimidated next to a 600hL? Or does an ES/GS owner feel inferior or inadequate next to an LS on the road?
interesting question. My first "fancy" car was an ES. I was just so happy to have a nice car, I could care less what others had. My second was the SC430, which I think was the top of the line at the time. So no inferiority or superiority complex. My third was GX 460, which I still have. I was a new mom and just happy to have the additional space. Too overwhelmed to feel insecure. Lol. Now I have the new LC 500. Ah, nothing compared to it!!! You feel like a boss in that car!!!
Old 07-29-18, 02:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Well your 4Runner is potentially more "fun" than a Honda Civic if you like to do things like go camping along a trail that a car couldn't access. I've never seen Toyota marketing the 4Runner as "fun" in a definition of being fun to drive. It may be fun to own because it may give you access to explore places that you couldn't in a traditional car. I understand what you're saying about marketing's role - however the "fun factor" I see in a TV commercial is not going to over-ride the experience/sensation I get when I actually drive the car. If Honda had all of their commercials about a sport Civic model showing people really pushing the car and driving it hard on a winding road ("fun" in one respect) I would probably look back at those commercials and feel Honda missed the mark after driving the car. Projecting luxury is no different- if a brand promotes a car as being highly luxurious and then you sit in it and see cheap materials, the doors don't feel solid when they close, etc. - what are you going to believe? The commercial or your own senses and instincts? Marketing's job is to project an image that gets you to the dealership to give the brand a chance. They also act in helping define or re-define the overall image of the brand - you're seeing re-defining of Wells Fargo and, frankly, lots of Toyota and Lexus products as we speak (Avalon, LS, etc).
Yes, I agree with what you are saying. I think "fun factor" can be defined in many different ways, my 4Runner towing a camper could be fun for example. Where I comment on the "Fun" being overdone by people, especially journalists (who likely will never buy the car) is that some cars are supposed to be practical, easy to use and were never designed for taking the curves or blazing down the highway. < this is what most people buy, yet the magazines and so called "enthusiasts" push the sport models such a two seat roadster etc, but at the same time they pan the boring model. My Corolla is boring as hell, its cheap, easy to use, maintain as well as drive, it weight 2700lbs and is light as can be. Yet our Matrix XRS with the 2.5, 5 speed, sport suspension as well as AA traction Michelin Pilot Sport tires is supposed to deliver a level of excitement I guess. The Matrix is more of a chore to drive.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-29-18 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-29-18, 03:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting potential debate on the definition of an enthusiast. Does an enthusiast have to own or pursue owning certain types of cars? Do they have to be knowledgeable of different engine specs, etc? Could someone who only owns a 20 year old clunker van but is very knowledgeable on all makes/models, participates in some form of racing or competition with someone else's car, understands technical and specification data on cars & engines, etc. be an enthusiast? I'd argue anyone who spends time to learn at very deep levels on any subject that they are an "enthusiast" about that subject. If someone asked me "are you a car guy?" I don't really know how I would respond.
I don't think there is any way one can define the definition of an enthusiast for cars. Anyone can be. If one owns a nice car new car all the time, good for them. If one owns an older car and they keep care of it for a really long time, that is interesting as well. Personally, I would be very interested to hear an ownership story of someone who has had an S-Class for a decade or more and one who has maybe hit 200K. In another thread, I started the thread for Johnhave430 about brakes. Never have I paid attention to brakes and if they have rust on them.

Anyways. I have 200 page book on the S-Class that was given to me from one of my employees. Its not a hard cover but it goes into a lot of detail about the development of the current model. I am assuming my employee is a Mercedes fan but I have never actually asked.

Here are some pics:

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-29-18 at 03:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Why does an S class intimidate so many people?