Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why does an S class intimidate so many people?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-18, 03:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Maybe a Toyota Prius LOL.
You're totally right. My wife says that was the only car she ever had that she loved LOL

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Interesting potential debate on the definition of an enthusiast. Does an enthusiast have to own or pursue owning certain types of cars? Do they have to be knowledgeable of different engine specs, etc? Could someone who only owns a 20 year old clunker van but is very knowledgeable on all makes/models, participates in some form of racing or competition with someone else's car, understands technical and specification data on cars & engines, etc. be an enthusiast? I'd argue anyone who spends time to learn at very deep levels on any subject that they are an "enthusiast" about that subject. If someone asked me "are you a car guy?" I don't really know how I would respond. I love cars and can tell you with close to 100% accuracy which car is behind me at night based on the headlights I see in my rear view mirror. I don't understand much at all as it pertains to engines nor am I even remotely competent mechanically to fix things. I don't know sophisticated driving techniques for sports cars but I love to really drive a sports car and have done a handful of exotic car track experiences and performed very well compared to others in the group. I only buy used cars and hang onto them for very long periods of time. So I'd describe myself as someone who "loves cars" from a design and feature perspective, but when I talk to other folks who describe themselves as "car guys" - including lots and lots of folks on this forum - I discover how little I actually know. Maybe those are the enthusiasts and I'm just someone who appreciates the aesthetic elements of cars? I'm the same way with watches. I have a handful of nice watches that get some attention when I wear them. Some people will strike up conversations and tell me about the sophistication of the movement of the watch. For me, I just love the way the fashion element of watches and have no interest in the movement. Maybe I'm not technically a "watch guy" either..
I think it all has to do with what sort of focus cars have in your life. I think if you take time to post here and discuss cars...you're likely an enthusiast.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Owning a boat is an incredibly wasteful way of spending ones resources. So is a country club however doing things for enjoyment costs money and how ones wants to spend their money is their choice
Which is exactly what we say about the money we spend on cars...

I have to give you credit - in several threads I recall over the last year or so I've seen you openly acknowledge being wrong, apologize, and also openly accept someone else's point of view (which you did in this thread about 10 posts ago)..
I agree with this 100%, and its something that based on the time I've been on this forum its something Jill has clearly made an effort to work on. Its noticed and appreciated for sure.
Old 07-29-18, 07:23 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Your wife, IMO, is just as much of a car enthusiast as you are......she simply likes a different type of car, and different type of ride. This idea that car enthusiasts have to worship overly-stiff rides, race-car handling, and race-car speeds, IMO, is nonsense. I happen to like quiet, cushy cars and rides myself.....and am I a car enthusiast? You bet.

Again, speed is not always the mark of an enthusiast. Sometimes, slowing down, like your wife suggests, is simple common sense.
That is for sure. I am sensible. Nearing age of 80 I am wise enough to know to slow down. Any how I think she collected more speeding tix than I.over the years.
There are many different enthusiast in every field. In the case of cars, some collect many different cars, some does restore vintage cars, some digs into history of evolution.of automotive engineering. Some likes to race on the track with fellow enthusiasts. Some tinkers with his/her cars at different levels like amateur, advance amateur, semi-pro, pro, etc. Some levels are officially recognized Indy 500, grand prix, etc. I think best learning is by doing experiment. Also car preference may be different between generations. Young kids who buy cars first time, millenials, middle age man/woman whose productivity is at their peaks. Guy like me, the passing generation.....

Last edited by Htony; 07-29-18 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-30-18, 03:38 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard a saying, once:
If you're going to waste money, waste it on memories/experiences, not stuff. When you waste money on stuff, all your left with in the end is just stuff, and no money.
Old 07-30-18, 06:19 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I heard a saying, once:
If you're going to waste money, waste it on memories/experiences, not stuff. When you waste money on stuff, all your left with in the end is just stuff, and no money.
Why can't stuff provide memory and/or experiences? For some driving an S-class could as well be an experience they're willing to pay for.
Old 07-30-18, 06:37 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Quadro
Why can't stuff provide memory and/or experiences? For some driving an S-class could as well be an experience they're willing to pay for.
Why are you asking me? It was just a saying I heard.

Old 07-30-18, 06:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quadro
Exactly. I get a LOT of enjoyment out of my cars. Being a car guy, and my dad was a car guy, my car is a connection and a memory to and of him as well. My son loves my car and we go on “dada car” trips and make great memories there.

People who go to car meets and such, tons a great friendships and memories made there.

Cars have been a motivator in my life. One of the reasons why I’ve worked so hard and succeeded to the level I have is because of my desire to drive a certain level of car.

Thats the point, if you’re an enthusiast it’s not just a “thing”.

I agree with you about empty stuff, empty things. However, some things have meaning to different people.
Old 07-30-18, 06:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Why are you asking me? It was just a saying I heard.
Because you posted the saying, the implication being that’s a saying that you agree with.
Old 07-30-18, 08:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I have to give you credit - in several threads I recall over the last year or so I've seen you openly acknowledge being wrong, apologize, and also openly accept someone else's point of view (which you did in this thread about 10 posts ago). Not many people seem to own up to things like this anymore. I do think sometimes your writing style may come across differently than how you intend and therefore it gets interpreted in a manner you may not understand. I take some of your posts one way and then see later in the thread that maybe you weren't meaning to come across as "harsh" or "direct" as I originally thought. Just my $.02 but I definitely think there are some classic examples, just like emails, where the written word comes across very differently than how one intended. I also see this sometimes when English is a 2nd language and how someone attempts to translate things over comes across very harsh or direct.

Nonetheless, kudos for being a big enough person to see the other side and not have to feel right 100% of the time.
Thanks. I actually really like this forum. I never read the “community” thread at the top of car chat at first but eventually I read it. I also think that it is the internet and it’s a forum and sometimes meaning can get a little lost. I feel really bad sometimes when people get upset at a post I have written if it was taken the wrong way.

I also really like car chat and most of this forum. I have learned a lot from it and I value this place. Why upset someone or do things to make them unhappy?

Now here is something of my opinion. Sometimes I find I get the most value and satisfaction out of threads that sometimes slightly veer off topic. You can learn so much. You had asked a question about the S-class and it seemed to illicit many different responses. I made a very challenging claim and comment about “saying you can afford something when you did not buy it” or something along those lines and I thought the responses were all fair whatever way they went. I think what I mentioned was right in line with the original idea of this thread. And for me, it was interesting to see the responses to that comment I made.

Now, back to the S-class. I have clearly made my point that keeping a car long term is the best value, either it be a cheaper car like my Corolla, a mid level priced vehicle like my 4Runner, an LS460 and even an S-class. What I don’t understand is why do people fear the repairs of a higher end car like an S-class if you were to keep it 10-15 year per say. Point is, if I pay off the S-class after 5 years (whichever way that is) you are now free to roll the dice and collect 10 years of no car payments from year 6-15 and what is the big deal to have a $2000 or $3000 or even $5000 repair. You are banking quite a bit of non spent new S-class money from year 6-15 right? And yet some of the responses on here are they want a car that’s fun or passionate or something they are enthusiastic about. Why deny yourself?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-30-18 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-30-18, 08:24 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I heard a saying, once:
My wife and I like to balance things out. We spend money on stuff, some on memories/experiences, some on gifting to our kids and grandkids (help with student loans etc.). My guess is the majority of people do the same, maybe to different extent depending on individual situations.
Old 07-30-18, 08:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
My wife and I like to balance things out. We spend money on stuff, some on memories/experiences, some on gifting to our kids and grandkids (help with student loans etc.). My guess is the majority of people do the same, maybe to different extent depending on individual situations.
I think everyone does. And if you don’t, then you’re not normal. There are implications with with the question, how much are you wasting or allocating a waste of money etc etc on things that really don’t matter. If someone makes $50K a year and has a $50K type car payments seems to me a little out of touch if they were to say their car is making them lots of memories.
Old 07-30-18, 08:52 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
If someone makes $50K a year and has a $50K type car payments seems to me a little out of touch if they were to say their car is making them lots of memories.
Well, maybe not just cars, but certainly, many, (dare I say most) consumers behave this way. Not saying everyone here, but most consumers. Statistics don't lie.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-shame/476415/

Last edited by IS350jet; 07-30-18 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-30-18, 03:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

So back to the original question... Why does an S class intimidate so many people?

I don't believe hardly anyone is 'intimidated' by an s class, it's just a big sedan. Now a rolls royce or a ferrari, that's intimidating.
Old 07-30-18, 04:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
So back to the original question... Why does an S class intimidate so many people?

Old 07-30-18, 05:41 PM
hawtlawyer
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

I don't believe hardly anyone is 'intimidated' by an s class, it's just a big sedan. Now a rolls royce or a ferrari, that's intimidating.
I know, right?! I've never thought an S Class would intimidate anyone. My girlfriend (as in female friend) has drove one for years.
Old 07-30-18, 08:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

. I understand what you're saying about marketing's role - however the "fun factor" I see in a TV commercial is not going to over-ride the experience/sensation I get when I actually drive the car. If Honda had all of their commercials about a sport Civic model showing people really pushing the car and driving it hard on a winding road ("fun" in one respect) I would probably look back at those commercials and feel Honda missed the mark after driving the car. .
Well, watching the Blue Jays to tonight. Honda has a commercial going with a Canadian race track driver blazing the track in a Type R. They show some memorabilia in the shop just as he is about to get in the car. Then at the end of the commercial they show the base EX Civic and what the lease rate is. Honda is a sponsor of the Blue Jays tonight. Honda also is the title sponsor of the Honda Indy.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-30-18 at 08:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Why does an S class intimidate so many people?