Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why does an S class intimidate so many people?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-18, 10:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Definitely not that way in the US. Even for a LS I don't think the median income is anywhere near 250K. I know plenty of people who have LS's that make less then 100K a year, same with GS and especially ES and RX buyers where many center middle class buy and own them.
You know people who own LS’s they bought new that make less than $100k a year? That is definitely not the norm. If you make $95k a year your monthly income is $7,900 a month. An LS lease is at the bottom end $1,000 per month. Mine is $1,200. A finance payment on a car the price of an LS is $1,200-1,500 a month. That means that the cheapest LS lease is 13% of that persons gross monthly income, which is a lot.

For me the LS was not even an option until I was making $250k.
Old 08-01-18, 11:13 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Exactly. I get a LOT of enjoyment out of my cars. Being a car guy, and my dad was a car guy, my car is a connection and a memory to and of him as well. My son loves my car and we go on “dada car” trips and make great memories there.

People who go to car meets and such, tons a great friendships and memories made there.

Cars have been a motivator in my life. One of the reasons why I’ve worked so hard and succeeded to the level I have is because of my desire to drive a certain level of car.

Thats the point, if you’re an enthusiast it’s not just a “thing”.

I agree with you about empty stuff, empty things. However, some things have meaning to different people.
He who has most toys when dies is a winner..... If I want something I get it some how but I won't go into debt to get it. I change cars often, the difference I owe on new car is not large amount.
I can afford cash payment for that unless they offer me 0% interest rate. Lately a dealer had 0.99% rate where I am qualified to get 1% rate discount meaning -0.01% rate for me. Rounded to 0%.
Lease or own, I am not the type for leasing car or renting a house.
Old 08-01-18, 12:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

A house and a car are really different. Owning a house builds wealth, owning a car does not. Cars are an expense all the way around. Leasing vs buying is just a question of how best to manage that expense.
Old 08-01-18, 01:11 PM
hawtlawyer
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree 100%. Had a Mercedes that lived in the shop. I went against my better judgment, because it was "pretty." Only kept it a year and half before going back to Lexus. They guy I was dating also had a Mercedes that broke down frequently, including the AC in July in Houston. But he wasn't bothered because it was covered under warranty. However, that's not the point. It's an inconvenience to have to get a loaner, which were Camrys for the most part. My dad said it was because Mercedes doesn't want you to break down again. Lol. I've had 4 Lexus and have never had a repair, only routine service. And yes, I can afford an S-Class, but I'd be pissed paying that sort of money to drive a Camry when (not if) it broke down.
Old 08-01-18, 01:22 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

A house and a car are really different. Owning a house builds wealth, owning a car does not. Cars are an expense all the way around. Leasing vs buying is just a question of how best to manage that expense.
You are right. But just to play devils advocate, rare exceptions and a good upcoming example are 60's Ferrari's going for $45M+

Old 08-01-18, 01:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
You are right. But just to play devils advocate, rare exceptions and a good upcoming example are 60's Ferrari's going for $45M+
How often does this happen?
Old 08-01-18, 01:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
How often does this happen? This a total fluke.
Old 08-01-18, 02:48 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
How often does this happen?
Several times a year with older Ferrari's, Bugatti's, old American Duesenberg's from the 30s etc.. This specific Ferrari is one of 36 and was raced many times. History, pedigree, and heritage usually dictate these absurd prices. A Ferrari 250 GTO sold for close to $70M in a private sell. Not to go too of topic though, just mentioning that rare or limited automobiles might actually appreciate over time like a Toyota 2000GT. As this thread is about Mercedes, the Mercedes-Benz 500K (1934-36) is very rare and worth a pretty penny.
Old 08-01-18, 02:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That’s obviously a totally different thing lol
Old 08-01-18, 03:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Owning a house builds wealth, owning a car does not. Cars are an expense all the way around.
And houses aren't a money-drainer? Just wait till you need a new kitchen......or a new bathroom. Or when that real-estate/property-tax bill comes each year...if it is not already built into the mortgage.

Yes, a home can appreciate (or depreciate) in value over the years...but that usually doesn't do you much good unless you sell it and move (and, the more it is worth, the more property-tax you pay on it every year). And then, of course, when you sell your house, you are also probably dealing with the inflated value of the new property you are going to buy.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-01-18 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-01-18, 03:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And houses aren't ? Just wait till you need a new kitchen......or a new bathroom. Or when that real-estate/property-tax bill comes.
They have expenses, but that doesn’t mean over time that they typically don’t build wealth. Overwhelmingly the main source of Americans wealth comes from ownership of their home.

Paying for for that kitchen or bathroom adds to your homes value, and your taxes are tax deductible, at least up to $10k nowadays.

Outside of special classic or collectible cars, cars always depreciate. The argument for owning a house vs renting a house being applied to cars doesn’t make any sense.
Old 08-01-18, 03:50 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by hawtlawyer
I agree 100%. Had a Mercedes that lived in the shop. I went against my better judgment, because it was "pretty." Only kept it a year and half before going back to Lexus. They guy I was dating also had a Mercedes that broke down frequently, including the AC in July in Houston. But he wasn't bothered because it was covered under warranty. However, that's not the point. It's an inconvenience to have to get a loaner, which were Camrys for the most part. My dad said it was because Mercedes doesn't want you to break down again. Lol. I've had 4 Lexus and have never had a repair, only routine service. And yes, I can afford an S-Class, but I'd be pissed paying that sort of money to drive a Camry when (not if) it broke down.
Just one of many different personal opinions. There are many types of car buyers. Each one's needs and wants are different.
Old 08-01-18, 06:11 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

You know people who own LS’s they bought new that make less than $100k a year? That is definitely not the norm. If you make $95k a year your monthly income is $7,900 a month. An LS lease is at the bottom end $1,000 per month. Mine is $1,200. A finance payment on a car the price of an LS is $1,200-1,500 a month. That means that the cheapest LS lease is 13% of that persons gross monthly income, which is a lot.

I agree. Most LS buyers are going to be mature people with common sense. Now, other expensive cars like a brand new M3 sedan or a similar "toy car" I have seen people purchase that have no business owning a car that expensive who make well below six figures. I guess they think it's cool to work all week just to make that car payment to impress their friends.
Old 08-01-18, 06:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think one could definitely do a low end LS making less than a $100K. It would be a bit difficult and a stretch and likely not the target buyer. The average auto loan in US is $500 or so, I think average income across all demographics is about $52K. My guess the avarge household income of a LS buyer is around $250K.
Old 08-01-18, 07:04 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think one could definitely do a LS making less than a $100K. It would be a bit difficult and a stretch and likely not the target buyer. The average auto loan in US is $500 or so, I think average income across all demographics is about $52K. My guess the avarge household income of a LS buyer is around $250K.
I believe that is the number Lexus reps were telling dealer GM's and select media before the LS500 was available for sale. iirc

Quick Reply: Why does an S class intimidate so many people?