Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why does an S class intimidate so many people?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-18, 02:29 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Which thread? Is it the A Mercedes Owners view?
Yes, that's the thread. Worth a read.
Old 08-14-18, 02:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Yes, that's the thread. Worth a read.
So I tried to read most of it, but it is difficult to understand all of it. The person is comparing a Canadian LS to a Canadian S-Class. Very small market in Canada and they are priced and packaged differently. For example, all LS/S class models in Canada are AWD and the S-class is available in SWB where in the US it is apparently not. There are not many LS/S class models sold in Canada. I have never ever seen a S-class 450 in the modern style in Canada as almost all I see are 550 and the new 560 numbers. Lots of AMG's as well. At the end of the day, the OP has not bought either.

I also think your thread question is sort of loaded in a sense as most people on here will respond with the LS460 in mind vs the new LS500 in mind when asking about the S-Class.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-14-18 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-14-18, 02:58 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

So I tried to read most of it, but it is difficult to understand all of it. The person is comparing a Canadian LS to a Canadian S-Class. Very small market in Canada and they are priced and packaged differently. For example, all LS/S class models in Canada are AWD and the S-class is available in SWB where in the US it is apparently not. There are not many LS/S class models sold in Canada. I have never ever seen a S-class 450 in the modern style in Canada as almost all I see are 550 and the new 560 numbers. Lots of AMG's as well. At the end of the day, the OP has not bought either.

I also think your thread question is sort of loaded in a sense as most people on here will respond with the LS460 in mind vs the new LS500 in mind when asking about the S-Class.
Interesting points on the market in Canada. I don't know if an S450 is SWB or not here in the states..?

Re: thread being loaded - even if they respond thinking of a 460, they will likely be comparing it against a similar year S class. That was part of the debate mid-way through the thread - because there comes a time in the used market when the most expensive S class ( the 560) is on par with a used LS. My 2 minute research showed this occurs around the 3 year mark in the used market. So the concept is still relevant because if price isn't the issue, why are people not buying S class? It seems to be general consensus here it's the best looking, most refined, most beautiful interior of the luxury sedan market. So if reliability and price aren't the reason....
Old 08-14-18, 03:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Interesting points on the market in Canada. I don't know if an S450 is SWB or not here in the states..?

Re: thread being loaded - even if they respond thinking of a 460, they will likely be comparing it against a similar year S class. That was part of the debate mid-way through the thread - because there comes a time in the used market when the most expensive S class ( the 560) is on par with a used LS. My 2 minute research showed this occurs around the 3 year mark in the used market. So the concept is still relevant because if price isn't the issue, why are people not buying S class? It seems to be general consensus here it's the best looking, most refined, most beautiful interior of the luxury sedan market. So if reliability and price aren't the reason....
So, I think you need to ask the question from 1. The new car buyers perspective and then 2. The used car buyers perspective. Totally different buyers and demographics IMO. I always assumed you were asking opinions from the new car buyers perspective.
Old 08-14-18, 03:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Well then, we are going nowhere and perhaps the thread has run its course.
well put.

closed.