Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why does an S class intimidate so many people?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-18, 02:09 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Some of you guys response are very funny. I constantly hear on this board how the S class is unreliable. I have only had 1 problem with my S class. The car has over 50k miles.
The problem was cover under warranty. Mercedes cpo warranty isn't trash. I have purchase 3 cpo Benz's. Stop living in the old days when MB was with Chrysler.
I don't care how you get the car lease or buy. You still got make the monthly payment so what's your point.

I guess I can be honest unlike some other people on here. I have purchased previous car for status... Granturismo, NSX, CL550, CLS....If I didn't care about status I would have purchase a corolla and save alot money.
Old 07-20-18, 02:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

They're not all that reliable LOL. I know several people who have last generation S Classes, they are without a doubt considerably less reliable than say, an LS460. Not having any issues with one until its over 50k miles isn't really saying much, ask people who have them with 100k miles. Lots of suspension issues, electrical issues, air suspension failure.

If I were choosing a car to drive for 100k miles, I would think twice about an S Class yet wouldn't be concerned about an LS. Leasing, S Class would be fine. Although, I know people with new S Classes that have had some annoying issues too.

Originally Posted by rogers2
I guess I can be honest unlike some other people on here. I have purchased previous car for status... Granturismo, NSX, CL550, CLS....If I didn't care about status I would have purchase a corolla and save alot money.
Who isn't being honest? Anybody who buys a $70k+ car is lying if they tell you status has nothing to do with it. However, if you don't see a tangible difference between a Corolla and a car of this caliber I think you're totally wasting your money...
Old 07-20-18, 03:58 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I could afford one if I wanted one bad enough...I could write a check for one today, and still be well-off. But 100K or more, IMO, is just too much to spend on a car. That kind of money will get me THREE more new Lacrosses (or at least two new Lincoln MKZs or Genesis G80s, if the Lacrosse is dropped). Not only that, but there are some things about the S-Class itself (and many Mercedes dealerships) that I simply don't care for. I will admit, however, that it is a comfort/refinement and safety-engineering masterpiece.....an industry benchmark in those departments.
For real wealthy guy, he does not care. He just drives what he wants/likes. I have a local car who have a big house built with 9 stall garage just outside city limit on a piece of land. He is a MB car nut. MB made him a large size lone star logo for his cars per his request. His house has a guard at the entrance gate. I heard his primary job is taking care of his cars first in any event. Heard this things from one of my son's jamming buddy who works in his company as a structural engineer.
Old 07-20-18, 04:23 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

In NYC, S-Classes and Maybachs are all around as you see drivers in front of the buildings of big banks and large corporate headquarters. Every day I step out of my of my building at work, there is a Maybach sitting outside while I hit up the good old MTA to get home lol. Its such a beautiful ride but it exemplifies opulence and richness with a slight snobbish undertone. Its rare to find a 7 series, A8 or LS in this same manner sitting, waiting for a passenger but they are sprinkled about.

OP: I think the S-Class is so intimidating because most of the folks either driving them or being driven in them are typically wealthier folks who don't mind showing you that they are just that wealthy - that this is a normal or standard car for them and something that most of us couldn't really afford to have as comfortably as they have. It has that filthy rich aura surrounding it.

Also, there are quite a few shady folks sitting in S-Classes and Maybach's in my neck of the woods as well..so the car presents itself in two ways: that filthy rich stigma or the dirty money stank. It gives off both...
Old 07-20-18, 04:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

As impressive as the S-Class is from a safety and ride-comfort standpoint, I don't think that, in terms of interior ambience or classic styling, it can compare with an average Bentley or Rolls-Royce. Of course, the Brits, can, in some cases, cost two or three times what an S-Class does.

Old 07-20-18, 04:38 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
in Hong Kong, black on black S class = airport taxi`s, Cost you about US$100 and should take you to any hotel in the city.
As you exit the airport terminal, you can usually find about half a dozen of them waiting outside,

In Europe, where the most commonly seen Mercedes taxi is the E class, don't be surprised if you randomly call a taxi and a S class shows up, happened to me before ( and the BMW 7 also ) .

I don't really see the S class, especially the sedan, as that ostentatious, of course, that depends on the city to some extent.
I should've gone to HK, lol.
Old 07-20-18, 09:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As impressive as the S-Class is from a safety and ride-comfort standpoint, I don't think that, in terms of interior ambience or classic styling, it can compare with an average Bentley or Rolls-Royce. Of course, the Brits, can, in some cases, cost two or three times what an S-Class does.
Try 4-5 times. The new Phantom is a $400-500k car.
Old 07-20-18, 10:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Try 4-5 times. The new Phantom is a $400-500k car.

True, but different versions of the S-Class can vary significantly in price. AMG's, for instance, can run almost 200K.
Old 07-21-18, 05:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
We own some income properties. In one very nice condo lives a guy who pays his rent but is by no means wealthy. Last year I happened upon him downtown, driving a gorgeous brand-new silver Mercedes (not an S). Did I respect him more? Actually I afterwards thought, "the guy is leasing that thing, and three years from now he will be out of that car with nothing to show for all the expense." But of course it's his right to spend his money as he sees fit and if he gets a lot of satisfaction out of a flawless finish and admiring glances, fine. But to me success is money in the bank, and that doesn't show up until you get to know someone.
Yeah, I will add to that. I think success or wealth is money in the bank as well as assets.
Old 07-21-18, 05:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
Back in the early 2000's when I was in middle school, I always used to ask my parents why they didn't have newer, nicer cars (they both drove Lexus, but they were older) and why we didn't live in a nicer house. My mom and dad always responded by telling me to ask my friends if their parents cars and houses were paid off. I didn't understand it at the time, but when the crash hit in 2007 and onward, I started to get it. I had so many friends whose parents lost their house, cars, jobs, etc. and didn't have savings to keep them afloat. My parents were just fine and kept chugging along. It was then that I realized most of these people were all show. .
I get what you are saying. It is difficult to learn that at a young age. True wealthy people who have the money do not tend to tell you they can buy or afford certain things. They either do it or they do not.

Originally Posted by COOLIS
Haven't you heard of The Millionaire Next Door? .
I remember this book. The most frequent car brand among millionaires in the book was a Buick.
Old 07-21-18, 06:31 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

How about that e*trade commercial, that guy golfing on a yacht, that's not you. I guarantee it's nobody on this thread (haha I could be very wrong I admit).

Like I said, I know a guy at work who had a 56' Sea Ray and a wife my age (how come it often goes that way). He was fired and they walked him out. How wealthy is he now? Some of those big boys actually live large and are leveraged. I know his car was leased (well by the firm) but so was his Toyota Tundra (per his wife). Now something as insignificant as a Tundra, wouldn't a person who flies on the corporate jet and has a Sea Ray, buy it outright?

As far as the S class goes, to an ordinary human being, it's a very nice car. Our CEO still has one and he stated he was gonna go car free as his penthouse is in the city, uses Uber. Why pay for something that sits 20-22 hours per day doing nothing (our cars)? There are alternatives now, that didn't exist 15 yrs. ago.

edit And the presumed status thing when you spend more than x for a car, I said I've liked the Grand Sport manual Corvette since I drove one this summer (non Grand Sport). It lists for $80k the way I like it, I bet it sells for less. If I got it and drove it to work, my status would go down. Everybody I told my test drive experience to said they don't like that car in any way. The tendency is that all the nice cars are European.

I like the Vette, I would get it if the time were right. So I don't want it for status, I want it for the sheer hardware and na performance. Status is so 2000 and late imho. Nobody cares, again, people already assume you lease a car if it is expensive. There no status there.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 07-21-18 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-21-18, 07:56 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My folks can afford and S-class but (a) my mom views Mercs as boats for old folks and (b) my dad just isn't willing to spend that much money on a car. He is used to putting money into things that appreciate whereas something like an S-class is just like flushing money down the toilet. And unlike say, an M4 or a 911, the S-class does not "bottom out" in pricing after a certain number of years. It consistently falls which is why you find so many for under $10k.

There are many lease trade in CPOs sitting for around $60K which is a good deal compared to $100k new, but they will still just keep falling in value.

Last edited by BrownPride; 07-21-18 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-21-18, 09:24 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I have enjoyed reading everyone's responses. I think the S class is hands-down the best looking large sedan and if I put reliability concerns aside (meaning I bought new or bought CPO with great coverage), I'm still not sure I would pull the trigger on it and I can't put my finger on exactly why.
Disagree, the styling on the S-class is nothing special, it's too soft, too blob-ular, too "big black taxi". It's just not very exciting or impressive IRL.

Maybe it's because they're all over the place here in Vancouver.

Personally I would not buy an S-class because it's just a terrible investment. It depreciates extremely quickly, and the car itself has not proven reliable enough to own for decades (negating depreciation). If I wanted an S-class I'd look at 3-5 year old examples with ~50-70k miles for less than half the sticker price. But even then I don't find the concept of a big black German taxi all that appealing.
Old 07-21-18, 09:36 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
My folks can afford and S-class but (a) my mom views Mercs as boats for old folks and (b) my dad just isn't willing to spend that much money on a car. He is used to putting money into things that appreciate whereas something like an S-class is just like flushing money down the toilet. And unlike say, an M4 or a 911, the S-class does not "bottom out" in pricing after a certain number of years. It consistently falls which is why you find so many for under $10k.

There are many lease trade in CPOs sitting for around $60K which is a good deal compared to $100k new, but they will still just keep falling in value.
If a person has some money, imho buying a M car is not all that bad. There are 2008 M3 coupes selling for 28k today. A 335i coupe, maybe 13-14k at best. Now, yes, they did start off with a likely 12k delta. But in retrospect, that would have been worth it for many. I was put off by the 19 mpg highway and the $7,100 list priced extended warranty. Yes, I was scared. But as Red Foo said,

"We headed to the bar, baby don't be nervous, No shoes, no shirt, and I still get service."

Sometimes I wonder if not getting a M car, is like buying a Porsche without an S....
Old 07-21-18, 10:35 AM
Avalon786
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an S550. Love it! I could have purchased an LS. But I wanted something a little bit more exciting. I do get it though. When I go to fill it up I sometimes get looks from people I’m sure they wouldn’t look twice at an LS.

Quick Reply: Why does an S class intimidate so many people?