Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why does an S class intimidate so many people?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-18, 11:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
So I had to settle where I did. If I were to say well I could have afforded a house 1.5 miles down the road, I just wanted to save money and spend it elsewhere, it's pretty much a lie.
But thats not what I and others are saying.

Lets put it this way, lets say there was a house 1.5 miles down the road that cost a little more, but was better and you liked it better, but it was in a neighborhood that you felt was a little too flashy and that made you a little uncomfortable having your friends and family come over, so you chose the slightly cheaper house in a neighborhood you felt fit you better. You could have bought the house down the road no problem. Would you have been lying if you had discussed that with somebody when they asked you why you didnt decide to buy that other house?

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I think you are coming from an angle where you think people are randomly bragging by saying "I could've bought an S class but instead I bought this 2008 Chevy Geo for $1,500." That would come across strange to just about anyone, but that's not what's happening here. For clarification:
- No one here is saying they "could have bought an S class but chose not to" without some form of prompting (questioning)- I specifically started this thread to ask why people who could afford to buy the S class may choose not to. No one is bragging. And I'll take their word for it that they could. So them answering the question is 100% relevant. We aren't at a cocktail party overhearing some obnoxious person bragging about what they could and couldn't afford without anyone asking them about it.
- If at any point someone has ever asked you how you ended up with the cars you own, if you said something like "I looked at an Altima, a Malibu, and ultimately chose the Corolla for X reasons". If so, then you are contradicting yourself all throughout this thread because you're pointing out your alternatives (that you could afford) and then telling why you bought the Corolla (or 4Runner or whatever). There's nothing wrong with saying it - as car lovers we all likely tell friends and family how we came to a decision, what else we shopped around for, etc. I just don't understand why you see such a problem with it when it comes to a luxury car. We all have options when buying anything and everything. I'm seeking the rationale behind why someone would be turned off by a particular car. Again, someone shopping for a new LS500 can (most likely) afford an S class - just as you could afford many other options when buying any vehicle you own.

In essence, I think you're bothered by something that isn't applicable to this thread here. Your argument seems to be that "I could afford it but didn't buy it" isn't relevant because the person ended up with the other car. But I specifically asked the question as to why the S class in some cases deters people from buying it who could easily afford it. How can them answering the question not be relevant??!
Exactly...

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Matter of pride as I have achieved an asset (depreciating of course) with out falling into any sort of debt or had to pay an interest, can now do whatever I want with four years of cash flow since.....You are free to criticize, call out, applaud or say nothing if you would like >>> similar to how I criticized the idea of the saying I could have bought this but ended up buying that.....I was very one-side in much earlier discussions with you about leasing vs buying and I think I made it clear at first that leasing was a poor idea, then by listening to you and doing a little research on my own I discovered, yeah there could be some advantage to a leasing for some people....You clearly said you do not see my POV on the saying "I could of bought this but chose that"...and that's fair....nothing more to really as I think I will move on. It was interesting and a pleasure going back and forth for most of the first half of Sunday I will say.
So you can discuss your finances as a matter of pride, but if anybody else does then that makes them "lose all credibility". Got it,
Old 07-22-18, 11:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Matter of pride as I have achieved an asset (depreciating of course) with out falling into any sort of debt or had to pay an interest, can now do whatever I want with four years of cash flow since.....You are free to criticize, call out, applaud or say nothing if you would like >>> similar to how I criticized the idea of the saying I could have bought this but ended up buying that.....I was very one-side in much earlier discussions with you about leasing vs buying and I think I made it clear at first that leasing was a poor idea, then by listening to you and doing a little research on my own I discovered, yeah there could be some advantage to a leasing for some people....You clearly said you do not see my POV on the saying "I could of bought this but chose that"...and that's fair....nothing more to really as I think I will move on. It was interesting and a pleasure going back and forth for most of the first half of Sunday I will say.
I think I'm with you, as I can remember being new on this forum and asking you if you really cut the cord with cable. I have not, I have multiple discounts including through work, and I'm still at $140, and all I have is 35/35 fiber internet with the biggest non premium package (for NHL hockey I keep it).

The other extreme is my aunt. She sold her house in NorCal, so I assumed she had a mil. in her pocket. No, because she always believed in borrowing money if the interest rate is low. I kind of think what good is that? Now you're retired, and out of that expensive house, you still have to have a mortgage to downsize, at your age....well, that's just me. She also drives a M3, which my mom says is just not acting her age lol Again my thoughts are she plans on leaving less to my cousins and charity. None of my business, of course. Just that I am more traditional in that you pay off your house, and maybe you retire 15 yrs. later, and you just don't owe anything as you get older...
Old 07-22-18, 11:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

So you can discuss your finances as a matter of pride, but if anybody else does then that makes them "lose all credibility". Got it,
Never said that, you are saying that. You can tell me I have credibility if you like..You can tell me I made a poor choice paying with cash vs not paying with cash. If you want to discuss your finances, feel free, they are clearly different than mine. and I do not agree with some of them. Not the end of the world...You appear to be very offended by the fact that I have called out the saying "I could have bought this but bought that instead"....So lets move on...
Old 07-22-18, 11:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Its all relative. Its not that $17k isn't a lot of money, but as a consumer in this class I can tell you, if I'm spending $100,000 another $17,000 is not prohibitive if thats something that I really want. $23k a year for college is nothing lol. I'm paying over $23k a year for PRESCHOOL. I'm getting ready to spend more than $17,000 over the next 3 months on 2 vacations. Its all relative.

I'm not saying its not possible. Sure its possible, but I would say that for most people who are buying a vehicle in this class, they can buy any vehicle in this class.

Why don't I try a German car, I've discussed it at length, including in this thread. I always try to, but the Lexus just always drags me back in. The only one that really appeals to me is the S Class, and why I haven't jumped at that I've discussed in here.
I don't think it's as simple as $17k, but if it were, I think you should get an S class. You're going to wonder why you didn't 10 years ago, seriously. And you're going to grin from ear to ear.

edit 23k for preschool, ok, now I know where you're coming from. Yes, if you can do that, 17k is nothing at all. I'm not happy with it going from $200 to $500/mo. (at age 3) hahahahahahahahahahaha

(to spend that much on preschool I hope your son makes it to the NHL and that Alex Ovechkin is coaching lol)

Last edited by Johnhav430; 07-22-18 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-22-18, 11:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think it's as simple as $17k, but if it were, I think you should get an S class. You're going to wonder why you didn't 10 years ago, seriously. And you're going to grin from ear to ear.
I've told you why I haven't, I don't think its a smart thing for me to drive given the profile of my clients.

Its no big deal, I love my LS and I'll try out an S Class someday.
Old 07-22-18, 11:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think I'm with you, as I can remember being new on this forum and asking you if you really cut the cord with cable. I have not, I have multiple discounts including through work, and I'm still at $140, and all I have is 35/35 fiber internet with the biggest non premium package (for NHL hockey I keep it).
Yes I cut out cable TV in 2008 when the recession hit. I personally laid off people at work (10 people) and we had a huge hit on income for the business, we went over all aspects of the business on to where to cut costs. At home in Toronto, I figured it would be a good idea to cut out cable, personlal expensive cell phone plans from Bell, re-evaluated who was providing my car insurance, and quite a few other things as well. Cell went from $105 a month to $29, the cable went from $130 to nothing. My insurance went from, $1850 to $1400...now you can calculate the savings based on 10 years. Over time I ended up getting the internet and my parents Rogers TV plan allows for remote viewing on Apple TV for some stations via stand alone apps a la carte. So I have about 20 stations now that I can watch which does not cost me anything, I think I can watch every single station my parents have from my laptop only via Anyplace TV but I never do, this all only works in Toronto and does work in NY once you cross the border. We also made the decision to start purchasing cheaper cars that use less fuel as daily drivers. I felt it was the right thing to do.
Old 07-22-18, 11:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think you are coming from an angle where you think people are randomly bragging by saying "I could've bought an S class but instead I bought this 2008 Chevy Geo for $1,500." That would come across strange to just about anyone, but that's not what's happening here. For clarification:
- No one here is saying they "could have bought an S class but chose not to" without some form of prompting (questioning)- I specifically started this thread to ask why people who could afford to buy the S class may choose not to. No one is bragging. And I'll take their word for it that they could. So them answering the question is 100% relevant. We aren't at a cocktail party overhearing some obnoxious person bragging about what they could and couldn't afford without anyone asking them about it.
- If at any point someone has ever asked you how you ended up with the cars you own, if you said something like "I looked at an Altima, a Malibu, and ultimately chose the Corolla for X reasons". If so, then you are contradicting yourself all throughout this thread because you're pointing out your alternatives (that you could afford) and then telling why you bought the Corolla (or 4Runner or whatever). There's nothing wrong with saying it - as car lovers we all likely tell friends and family how we came to a decision, what else we shopped around for, etc. I just don't understand why you see such a problem with it when it comes to a luxury car. We all have options when buying anything and everything. I'm seeking the rationale behind why someone would be turned off by a particular car. Again, someone shopping for a new LS500 can (most likely) afford an S class - just as you could afford many other options when buying any vehicle you own.

In essence, I think you're bothered by something that isn't applicable to this thread here. Your argument seems to be that "I could afford it but didn't buy it" isn't relevant because the person ended up with the other car. But I specifically asked the question as to why the S class in some cases deters people from buying it who could easily afford it. How can them answering the question not be relevant??!
Hey, all fair points.

I think the biggest obstacle is the image of what a Mercedes S-class would represent for someone. But I think the new LS500 achieves a higher brand image than the outgoing Lexus LS460, at least outside of the USA. In the Canadian market and some others around the world, the new LS500 is at the same starting price point as a S-class...So I think the US is the only market that still carries the down market trim level...The LS500 in Canada starts at $102K while the S-class starts at $106K (options obviously being different)..

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-22-18 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-22-18, 12:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Why are they fair points when he makes them but not when I make them?!?!

As for cutting the cord, I recently just cancelled my cable TV and got DirecTV Now, I pay $70 a month for 250 mbps download internet, and $35 for the DirecTV NOW and I have all the channels I might want, and I'm saving $100 a month from what my cable bill was. I would recommend you try it.
Old 07-22-18, 12:08 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Serious question. Put aside reliability concerns, blah, blah, blah. I'm not talking about being scared to own one for those reasons- I'm talking about being scared to own an S class because you think it presents the wrong image of you.

Over the years, I've read on this forum a lot of people saying they can afford an S class but choose not to buy one due to their fear of others' impression of them (likely given their line of work). I get it - I'm in sales and occasionally have to take clients around in my car. I admit I would feel a bit strange driving them around in an S550 - but in reality, why does an LS not give me the same fear when the sticker price is in the same general ballpark? A person buying a new LS500 could likely afford a new S class. A person buying a 3-4 year old LS could definitely afford a 3-4 year old S class. A person buying a Range Rover could afford an S class. So as you look at luxury large sedans (7 series, LS, A8, S class, etc), is the S class the one that intimidates you the most to own? What is it about it that makes you feel that way?

Very interested in the psychology here.
Some one with chip on the shoulder? If anyone does something like driving an S550 that is his choice and right. No business with others.
Old 07-22-18, 12:27 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

At the end of the day, credit cards mean very little. You could be up to your eyeballs in debt on your fancy credit card. I have three, one for US purhcases, one for Hudson’s Bay as I wanted to buy a piece of jewelry once and I got 20% off for opening a HBC card plus an 15% for the promotion with the card and one size I was 21 years of age. They mean little. I could open my purse and have $1000 on me and waiters or waitresses would fight all over me. Cash is very important to wealth and so are assets.
Hmmm, just go out and try to rent a car from er, an airport rental outlets. I carry cards, some cash and change. I pay CC balance in full on time. if I can have 0% financing, then I take it while my money
sitting in the bank collects some interests. If you frequently travel around world try to pay cash. Japan is an exception they don't like card. You have to exchange to get Japanese Yen when you arrive there.
If you deal in cash most of them time, how about your credit rating? Say if you want to purchase a house. Using cards has some perks, points and some free bees. We get stuffs on points or use it on our
air line tickets or upgrading seats for long distance flying.
Old 07-22-18, 02:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Htony
Hmmm, just go out and try to rent a car from er, an airport rental outlets. I carry cards, some cash and change. I pay CC balance in full on time. if I can have 0% financing, then I take it while my money
sitting in the bank collects some interests. If you frequently travel around world try to pay cash. Japan is an exception they don't like card. You have to exchange to get Japanese Yen when you arrive there.
If you deal in cash most of them time, how about your credit rating? Say if you want to purchase a house. Using cards has some perks, points and some free bees. We get stuffs on points or use it on our
Trying to move on from the side discussion.....But yes, credit cards do serve a very good purpose in life, however my comments were that they do very little in determining ones status IMO.
Old 07-22-18, 02:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Trying to move on from the side discussion.....But yes, credit cards do serve a very good purpose in life, however my comments were that they do very little in determining ones status IMO.
Walk up to a bar with the AMEX platinum card and tell me that lol
Old 07-22-18, 03:14 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Huh? card has any relationship with one's status? Not me. It's for convenience.

Last edited by Htony; 07-22-18 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-22-18, 03:26 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Htony
I did my own experiment and failed lol About 3 yrs. ago, I got a 0% offer from Tompkins AMEX. If I charged $3000 in the first 90 days, I could get $600. Why not? 0% for 18 mos. on purchases. I ended up charging around $14k, and never as I said I would, that is to put the monthly charges into an internet savings account so I would have it 18 mos. down the road. So in the end, I moved the balance to a Navy Federal 0% no transfer fee offer, and still owe $6k! It expires around Thanksgiving, at which time I will pay it off. My point is there is a tendency to not do what I always do, which is to pay off in full every month, when there is a 0% offer. Yes, it takes discipline, but easier said than done. Which is why I am not interested in 0%. Others like it because you are using someone else's money...

Back in 2008 when there were true 0% transfers with no fees, I moved some of the cost of our wedding to Citi. I had moved around $29,000 to it. Unfathomable, I missed the due date one month. My mind was scrambling, I know they can charge interest to the beginning and apply a penalty rate. I called and the nice Citi agent said there is no problem we will waive the late fees (like $39 hahahahahaha)....I say thanks but will I lose the 0% and be charged interest to the beginning? the agent said she really did not know we would have to wait and see when the statement generates, and we can discuss then. Oddly, the statement came and my 0% was intact...why I did not set it up for autopayment, who the heck knows.....
Old 07-22-18, 03:30 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts

Walk up to a bar with the AMEX platinum card and tell me that lol
Not sure I understand the correlation - why would having that card translate to faster service at a bar? Bartender anticipates a larger tip?

Quick Reply: Why does an S class intimidate so many people?