Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

That 20k price point . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-18, 12:31 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default That 20k price point . . .

Its kind of interesting, as you can buy any number of brand new well equipped small cars for that price.

Or if you are simply vain like me, you buy a full size pickup truck, because you have always wanted one of these beasts. I chose a 2011 Tundra, 56k miles on it, 4wd, double cab, bigger bed(not the 8' bed) 4.6 V8. That truck was super clean, yet I could have bought a ****ing brand new, well equipped Mazda 3 hatch or 6 sedan for the same 20k.

Yeah, new smaller cars are ****ing cheap, pickup trucks are stupid expensive. Yet I didn't care, after I got in a bad wreck with my old 2004 Tacoma on the interstate at 50mph, it was a cheapie 2wd, reg cab/5 speed small truck, walked away with no injuries. Toyota pickups retain their value, payout on that 2004 Tacoma, 2wd, 5 speed, 4 cylinder, reg cab, no option type of truck with 190,000 miles on it was $6,000. That truck in 2004 sold for $12,000.

Yet I wanted another Toyota truck, I had some cash laying around, I work 2 jobs, emergencies like this is why I have some $$$$ stashed away.

I looked at 2006-2015 Tacomas, the crew cab trucks like I wanted were stupid expensive. Double cab Tundras were similarly priced, plus I've always wanted a ****ing huge *** truck.

New Mazda 3's were about the same price, but man maybe I am vain, but driving a full size pickup indicates you have arrived. At least in my circle of friends and peers. Even a new Mazda 3 is kind of a dork mobile, man I really love the way that car drives/handles though.

Anyways, I priced 2006+ Tacomas, 2007+ Tundras, newer model Mazdas and brand new Mazdas, well figured out I just wanted a huge *** truck.

Hell I can afford it, paid cash, fuel bill is actually better than my 1992 SC300 which did 16-17mpg on premium, truck does 14-15 on regular,

Anybody else kind of have that cash for a cheap new car or maybe something that is A LOT NICER that you'd also buy in cash. Brand new basic Mazda 3 hatch vs my big *** 2011 Tundra, one with zero miles, other with 56k, both the same price, I still bought the truck. I was also kind of thinking about a 2007-2010 Lexus LS for about 20k.
Old 07-21-18, 01:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Good for you getting your truck, but $20k is just the number you're ok with. Obviously the same 'debate' can be made at 10, 30, 40, 50, etc. just depends on the budgets, goals, wants, and compromises one is willing to make.
Old 07-21-18, 05:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I work 2 jobs,

but driving a full size pickup indicates you have arrived..
Have you really arrived by working two jobs? I would rather have no car and work one job than have to work two jobs, for me, as I get older, working is not so important and I would rather do other activities.

Anybody else kind of have that cash for a cheap new car or maybe something that is A LOT NICER that you'd also buy in cash. Brand new basic Mazda 3 hatch vs my big *** 2011 Tundra, one with zero miles, other with 56k, both the same price, I still bought the truck. I was also kind of thinking about a 2007-2010 Lexus LS for about 20k.
I have always had cash on hand for new cars or for certain events and I have always had cash on hand for repairs, or other things that break around the home. I also try to invest as much as I can. It really is nice that you paid with cash, it is a smart idea. As you get old and if you own a home, things begin to break and cost more money to repair, or replace. My condominium maintenance fee is now $499 per month (Just went up 17% in 2018) and that does not include (water heater rental, internet, hydro, gas)...add in our home in Rochester and things are just double, but the good thing is that we own the homes both free and clear...its the upkeep that is getting to be more money and incomes are not increasing compared to the rate of everything else. NOW add in expensive cars that need fuel to run, repairs to keep going as they age, insurance, etc...Personally speaking, I would of taken a brand new Mazda over a Toyota Tundra or anything with a V8 for that matter. The fuel efficiency of the Mazda is what is attractive to me and small cars are very cheap to run and maintain, and its brand new with brand new technology etc.

I get that it is different for everyone else's situation. If a new Tundra is what you enjoy, then congrats.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-21-18 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-21-18, 04:17 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
working is not so important and I would rather do other activities.
That's nice.... you're alot more fortunate than most people.

I am sure everybody would rather do "other activities" than work haha. Except who gonna pay the damn bills?
Old 07-22-18, 09:40 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
That's nice.... you're alot more fortunate than most people.

I am sure everybody would rather do "other activities" than work haha. Except who gonna pay the damn bills?
Strange thing to say on a luxury car oriented board. I wager a majority of people here have 1 job, and would speculate that many are self employed so make their own schedules.

Anyways, 20k is good for some older sports cars as toys: low mileage S2000s, 335is, NA Supras, FD RX7s, etc. I'd take those over any newer "economy vehicle" these days.

I've toyed with getting a crew max 5.7 Tundra and supercharging it, but the ones I want ar still around 35k +. Then again I'm not really a truck guy and after selling my Fx50, I think I need another SUV for myself when I'm out with my son hauling stuff, so considering a QX60 or Q80/Armada around 25-30k.

It's all relative.
Old 07-22-18, 09:18 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

I quit my 2nd job actually, for those that were asking. It was a tipped based thing doing valet. Hard to say no when you are making an extra $400 a week working a couple 5 to 6 hour shifts. Uber and lyft kind of changed the world in that job, nobody drives to the 5 star downtown restaurant anymore, income was cut down to $150-200 a week doing the same shift. It was a damn good part time gig while it lasted for those last 6 years, extra $20k a year that was mostly untaxed.

That job got me my first house, 1940's bungalow with a front porch, detached garage, something in a better neighborhood than what I could normally afford, granted it needed a lot of work, but I've replaced HVAC, hot water heater, new roof, new windows, new bathroom, that job paid for something I really couldn't afford to fix up otherwise.

Getting back to cars, I had a truck that whole time I've been remodeling, it was worth its weight in gold. Never had to pay anybody to haul off construction debris. The dump was on the way to work near downtown, can't tell you how many times I had my slacks and white oxford hanging in the truck, dump a truck load of crap, go to work, change into the "uniform" in the lobby bathroom before entering the office on the 3rd floor.

I'm still contemplating a kitchen remodel that would integrate the dining room into the kitchen with a blown out wall, its going to be A TON of work if I do it, hence why I bought another truck. Granted it is a vanity truck, I could have saved some $$$$ and bought a small 2wd/reg cab Tacoma like I've owned before, but I've wanted a full sized truck for years now. Said **** it, I've worked hard, invested well, made some extra $$$$ on bitcoin when I bought it in 2015.

Last edited by Aron9000; 07-22-18 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-23-18, 05:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Strange thing to say on a luxury car oriented board. I wager a majority of people here have 1 job, and would speculate that many are self employed so make their own schedules.
Obviously we're not all of the same stereotype. Some are still working, some are retired. The majority on Car Chat probably have and own Lexus products, but many of us don't....even moderators. And, many people here who DO own Lexus products have very old models (sometimes 20 years old or more) with 200K or more miles on them. The generally good reliability of Lexus products adds to their longevity.
Old 07-23-18, 06:53 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Its kind of interesting, as you can buy any number of brand new well equipped small cars for that price.

Or if you are simply vain like me, you buy a full size pickup truck, because you have always wanted one of these beasts. I chose a 2011 Tundra, 56k miles on it, 4wd, double cab, bigger bed(not the 8' bed) 4.6 V8. That truck was super clean, yet I could have bought a ****ing brand new, well equipped Mazda 3 hatch or 6 sedan for the same 20k.

Yeah, new smaller cars are ****ing cheap, pickup trucks are stupid expensive. Yet I didn't care, after I got in a bad wreck with my old 2004 Tacoma on the interstate at 50mph, it was a cheapie 2wd, reg cab/5 speed small truck, walked away with no injuries. Toyota pickups retain their value, payout on that 2004 Tacoma, 2wd, 5 speed, 4 cylinder, reg cab, no option type of truck with 190,000 miles on it was $6,000. That truck in 2004 sold for $12,000.

Yet I wanted another Toyota truck, I had some cash laying around, I work 2 jobs, emergencies like this is why I have some $$$$ stashed away.

I looked at 2006-2015 Tacomas, the crew cab trucks like I wanted were stupid expensive. Double cab Tundras were similarly priced, plus I've always wanted a ****ing huge *** truck.

New Mazda 3's were about the same price, but man maybe I am vain, but driving a full size pickup indicates you have arrived. At least in my circle of friends and peers. Even a new Mazda 3 is kind of a dork mobile, man I really love the way that car drives/handles though.

Anyways, I priced 2006+ Tacomas, 2007+ Tundras, newer model Mazdas and brand new Mazdas, well figured out I just wanted a huge *** truck.

Hell I can afford it, paid cash, fuel bill is actually better than my 1992 SC300 which did 16-17mpg on premium, truck does 14-15 on regular,

Isnt it crazy how...crazy used truck prices are? $20k for a 9yr old vehicle and it is a base/mid model. A 3yr GX460 for $35-$38k. A 8yr old LX in the mid $30k range.
Old 07-23-18, 08:15 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 390 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Isnt it crazy how...crazy used truck prices are? $20k for a 9yr old vehicle and it is a base/mid model. A 3yr GX460 for $35-$38k. A 8yr old LX in the mid $30k range.
LX's typically hold their prices relatively consistently due to being low production- but in general yes you are right about the others. The truck & SUV craze appears to be in full effect and impacting the used market values. Good time to buy a car if it suits your needs!
Old 07-23-18, 11:57 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
LX's typically hold their prices relatively consistently due to being low production- but in general yes you are right about the others. The truck & SUV craze appears to be in full effect and impacting the used market values. Good time to buy a car if it suits your needs!
It sucks to drive a car even if I wanted one. And downright dangerous at intersections with stop signs. Every freaking corner has an SUV parked there so now I have to inch our further to see when I try to cross a stop sign cuz I can't see the damn cross traffic!!!!!
Old 07-23-18, 03:54 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I love driving a truck, even though it's completely overkill for my day to day life as a tax accountant.

But it's been super handy for my recent home purchase. I've been tearing up the flooring and hauling in new flooring, and moving my stuff was a lot easier with it.

As far as the userbase of this forum, I joined in 2011 when I was still in college and I had just paid $3,200 for a 1992 LS400. Definitely not in the new Lexus crowd. I could have probably bought a Lexus(on the low-mid range) last year when I bought my truck(I spent conservative compared to what my income would allow), but it just isn't my cup of tea at this point.
Old 07-23-18, 04:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
As far as the userbase of this forum, I joined in 2011 when I was still in college and I had just paid $3,200 for a 1992 LS400. Definitely not in the new Lexus crowd. I could have probably bought a Lexus(on the low-mid range) last year when I bought my truck(I spent conservative compared to what my income would allow), but it just isn't my cup of tea at this point.
You were apparantly just like me in college....driving around in a old, used, comparatively cheap luxury sedan.
Old 07-23-18, 04:49 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

That Tundra is alot of vehicle for $20,000. You made the right choice in my opinion.
Old 07-25-18, 03:24 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I work 2 jobs,

driving a full size pickup indicates you have arrived. At least in my circle of friends and peers.
I work 1 job. I have 4 cars and one of them is $80k and I STILL don't think I've "arrived".

"Arrived" to me is when you don't need a job at all because your passive income is more than sufficient to maintain a fulfilling lifestyle.

Last edited by ragingf80; 07-25-18 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-31-18, 03:13 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ragingf80
I work 1 job. I have 4 cars and one of them is $80k and I STILL don't think I've "arrived".

"Arrived" to me is when you don't need a job at all because your passive income is more than sufficient to maintain a fulfilling lifestyle.
Touche my friend. I'd say you are ****ing damn lucky to arrive at that situation in life at age 34. Age 54, yeah, if you are smart and have built your own business over the past 20 years, then yes, maybe that is a reality. My uncle is 67, owns his own business, Bays Truck Salvage, is kind of like that guy you are talking about, established his own business in the late 90's. Lives in a 2000 sq ft split level ranch he bought back in the 70's, its fixed up nice, has a huge *** garage in the back with 5 different vintage Chevrolets. He still goes to work every morning because honestly he needs something to keep him busy, not because he really needs to.

Quick Reply: That 20k price point . . .