Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Static Review: 2018 Ford Edge Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-18, 03:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
No the Ranger and the upcoming Bronco are being built on the current T6 platform. The Aviator, and subsequent 6th gen Explorer will be built on the all-new rear-wheel-drive unibody architecture internally designated CD6. This new platform also will enable all-wheel-drive.
OK, Thanks....I was not aware of the new CD6 platform. I would have guessed that the Ranger's T6 platform would have been used for more different vehicles, though I can understand it not being used for the Aviator, which is not intended to be truck-based.
Old 07-22-18, 10:29 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Remember, though, that the Explorer is not quite as heavy-duty as it once was, and has shifted from truck-based to to a unibody chassis.
That is certainly true. However, the buying public still looks at the Explorer as the truckster and the Edge as softer, carlike vessel. The fact that numerous city municipalities, police, highway patrol, and utility companies buy the Explorer for work duty drives home that fact. It would make sense for the Explorer to return to a state of being that buyers already associate it with.

Old 07-23-18, 02:20 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Am I the only one who is shocked by the price? Almost $50k for a Ford Edge? That seems insane and I have to assume puts it into a price range to compete with others that Ford probably doesn't want to compete against. Maybe I'm just out of touch on new car prices, but that seems incredibly high.
Old 07-23-18, 03:02 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Am I the only one who is shocked by the price? Almost $50k for a Ford Edge? That seems insane and I have to assume puts it into a price range to compete with others that Ford probably doesn't want to compete against. Maybe I'm just out of touch on new car prices, but that seems incredibly high.
You are not the only one. But just about everything else in this class can go for the same price. It's high everywhere. At least with the Edge and Explorer, incentives and rebates are large. No one is probably going to actually pay $50k.
Old 07-23-18, 05:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
That is certainly true. However, the buying public still looks at the Explorer as the truckster and the Edge as softer, carlike vessel. The fact that numerous city municipalities, police, highway patrol, and utility companies buy the Explorer for work duty drives home that fact. It would make sense for the Explorer to return to a state of being that buyers already associate it with.
The Explorer is also somewhat larger inside than the Edge. Police need room to carry prisoners, equipment, and large German Shepard dogs.
Old 07-23-18, 05:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
You are not the only one. But just about everything else in this class can go for the same price. It's high everywhere. At least with the Edge and Explorer, incentives and rebates are large. No one is probably going to actually pay $50k.
Did you guys note that pricing for base FWD versions of the Edge, with freight, starts around 30K?...and big dealer discounts are available? It was in both the link that I provided and in my comments in the OVERVIEW section.

This is not the first review that I have done on a top-trim version of a vehicle, with options, that people have gotten amazed at the price on, apparently not noting that cheaper (and often much cheaper) versions come in the lower-trim levels.
Old 07-23-18, 06:17 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

That is because Ford markets the Edge and the Explorer differently. Ford builds a Police Interceptor Utility based on the Explorer but does not push the Edge for those heavier duties. The Edge is marketed as a family vehicle, not a work vehicle.