Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus credit card

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-18, 08:57 AM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lexus credit card

What do you guys and gals think?
Attached Thumbnails Lexus credit card-img_0056.jpg  
Old 07-22-18, 12:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,776 Likes on 1,983 Posts

Eh, I'd rather have a card with rewards I can use for a wider variety of things
Old 07-22-18, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Agreed. I typically cash in my Mastercard reward-points for gift cards for Starbucks, Olive Garden, or Carabba's.
Old 07-23-18, 10:08 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Cash is king, meaning cash rewards redeemable at as little as 1 cent. For gas, PenFed is 5% deducted monthly, permanently, not sure why anyone would accept less than 5% for gas, or use a debit card (that is strange, see it sometimes at Costco/full serve NJ). We all use gasoline, my bill is sometimes $400 to $600/mo., so it may sound small, but why not shave off $20-$30 for doing nothing. Everyday should be no less than 2% cash, that's the going rate without rotating all over the darn place.

I loved when Chase did a 5% for Samsung Pay. Costco has fought hard to reject any sort of apple or android contactless payment. Clerks were amused when I placed my phone near the Verifone and payment went through. One clerk in Gaithersburg, MD, said let me see your credit card, we don't accept that. I said don't accept what, your register spit out a receipt. She said we don't accept payment by phones I need to see your credit card. I said nope. But I had to wait for a manager. Samsung is genius, beat Costco who won't accept NFC payments...
Old 07-23-18, 10:19 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed. I typically cash in my Mastercard reward-points for gift cards for Starbucks, Olive Garden, or Carabba's.
I just went with Citi Double, I suppose if you didn't pay in full every month then it's not a true 2% cash. But I pay in full every month so you earn 1% when you charge, 1% when you pay, redeemable at any amount. If there are thresholds like $20 before you can redeem, then there is a tendency to miss break-points and leave cash on the table.

NavyFed has a cash 1.5% that I always used until Citi Double. Of course no foreign transaction fees but more and more cards are doing that, even Citi Costco.

p.s. as an aside we used to get the calamari at Carabba's. Since 2008, I swear the portion is 1/2. One time the waitress overheard my wife saying I think they gave us a small and didn't hear we wanted a large. Without us doing anything, the manager brought over an order 2X the size of what we had been given, and explained that corporate has cut the portion almost in half and many customers have noticed. Sorry that you felt that the portion is small, that is a large. What great customer service! And we never went back! lol

edit Citi Costco has no foreign transaction fee. Citi Double "has" a 3% fee (killer) Discover also has no fee (but doesn't appear to be widely accepted, Tim Horton's did not)

Last edited by Johnhav430; 07-23-18 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-23-18, 11:17 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Technically, you can use the rewards for anything by using the points to pay the credit card bill.
Old 07-23-18, 03:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,776 Likes on 1,983 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Technically, you can use the rewards for anything by using the points to pay the credit card bill.
I think if you look at the value of those points though you will find you can do MUCH better elsewhere.
Old 07-23-18, 05:53 PM
Chc4au
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Back almost 10 years ago I decided only to use cash reward cards.
I am now retired but hit over 2,500,000 Delta miles almost 20 years back when Delta gave Hartman Luggage for different mileage thresholds.
I had almost 400,000 miles lapse on British Air because I didn’t want to travel except for business and at that time you couldn’t give miles to charity. American Airlines their US partner wasn’t flying routes convenient to where I live for personal travel and I flew a Company Owned plane for Domestic Travel.
About 9 years back Chase had a 5% cash back ( for the first 12 months) and between business and personal I got over $10,000 back before they pulled it. Now the CITI Double Cash 2% on everything
Old 07-23-18, 07:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Chc4au
I am now retired but hit over 2,500,000 Delta miles almost 20 years back when Delta gave Hartman Luggage for different mileage thresholds.
Two and a half million miles of being packed into today's Stuff-'Em-In airline seats like sardines? Hmmm.....I might just pass on that one.
Old 07-24-18, 06:41 AM
Chc4au
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Two and a half million miles of being packed into today's Stuff-'Em-In airline seats like sardines? Hmmm.....I might just pass on that one.
i started flying Delta in the 70’s when Atlanta used the old terminal. Would fly through Atlanta six times some weeks and if not Delta Eastern. Was flying them before FF programs. Racked up most miles on Delta and British Air flying to U.K. and Europe.
Some years as many as 10 times to U.K. and then South America and South East Asia all Business or First Class.
Old 07-24-18, 06:47 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Ehh, you can get 4% cash back on gas and 3% cash back on travel and restaurants with the Costco Credit card. I also use a Fidelity Rewards card that gives me 2% back on everything else.
Old 07-24-18, 06:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chc4au
I had almost 400,000 miles lapse on British Air because I didn’t want to travel except for business and at that time you couldn’t give miles to charity. American Airlines their US partner wasn’t flying routes convenient to where I live for personal travel and I flew a Company Owned plane for Domestic Travel.
About 9 years back Chase had a 5% cash back ( for the first 12 months) and between business and personal I got over $10,000 back before they pulled it. Now the CITI Double Cash 2% on everything
When I was a young buck out of B school, I wanted to get a Hartman portfolio and briefcase. Amazing how stuff we used to want, we no longer do. Also wanted an Omega Seamaster and too bad I did not get it in 2008, the value has gone up.

My wife has tons of Delta miles and good thing they never expire as we don't fly much as a family--we just forfeited all our SW miles. I have hundreds of thousands of United but they do expire, so I have to be careful and order some magazines or make sure I fly or stay at a Marriott. Dang sometimes life makes me think of a Harry Chapin song.

One last thing about programs and rewards--I believe the issuers stipulate they can be modified/canceled at any time, so make sure you don't get bilked. There usually is a grace period, but say you don't read the email or letter in the mail, and you lose all your points.
Old 07-24-18, 07:58 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I think if you look at the value of those points though you will find you can do MUCH better elsewhere.
Each point is worth 1 cent or 100 points gets you a dollar to pay your bill or whatevers. Which credit cards points translates to more than 1 cent per point? It is true that a lot of other credit cards allows you to earn more points.
Old 07-24-18, 08:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Each point is worth 1 cent or 100 points gets you a dollar to pay your bill or whatevers. Which credit cards points translates to more than 1 cent per point? It is true that a lot of other credit cards allows you to earn more points.
I thought we had generally agreed there are 2% cards out there with cash rewards redeemable 1 cent at a time, like Citi Double, all of them, Captial One, Navy, etc.
Old 07-24-18, 08:45 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I thought we had generally agreed there are 2% cards out there with cash rewards redeemable 1 cent at a time, like Citi Double, all of them, Captial One, Navy (1.5%), etc.

Quick Reply: Lexus credit card