Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus #1 again

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-18, 03:52 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,127 Likes on 732 Posts
Default Lexus #1 again

Accolades just keep coming for Lexus. J D Power seven years in a row at #1 in reliability, third least expensive to maintain behind it's cousins Toyota and Scion and this.

https://www.nada.org/assets/0/214748...0cc71542b0.jpg
Old 07-24-18, 05:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Doesn't surprise me, and as long as one avoids the dealer for maintenance and DIYs when possible, could be very low cost to maintain (although that's true for all cars, just that Lexus is off the charts).

This chart implies the dealers like the mfg. So it trickles down I think to the way they treat their customers as well. I've never stepped into a Lexus dealership and had people avoid eye contact--this happens all the time elsewhere.

edit: Just noticed GM isn't even anywhere to be seen on the chart at all. Nor is BMW. Good chance the chart has some valid data.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 07-24-18 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-24-18, 10:14 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Not surprising. Toyota/Lexus reliability has been a major draw for decades and rarely dips.
I would not go out of my way to avoid Lexus dealerships. They are award winning and a great place to spend some time at. With an online coupon, oil changes are no more than anywhere else. Plus you usually get a free Lexus loaner, food, drink, internet, and a wash. I've taken advantage of this for over ten years, even after being out of warranty. And most luxury car owners do not have the means nor want to DIY and get their hands greasy.
Further, because Toyota/Lexus's are so trouble-free, one really doesn't visit the dealer much. After ten years with my IS, it's pretty much just been oil changes, brakes, and a few recalls covered under warranty.
Lexus dealers are a big draw to the brand and not to be skipped over.
Old 07-25-18, 04:49 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Not surprising. Toyota/Lexus reliability has been a major draw for decades and rarely dips.
I would not go out of my way to avoid Lexus dealerships. They are award winning and a great place to spend some time at. With an online coupon, oil changes are no more than anywhere else. Plus you usually get a free Lexus loaner, food, drink, internet, and a wash. I've taken advantage of this for over ten years, even after being out of warranty. And most luxury car owners do not have the means nor want to DIY and get their hands greasy.
Further, because Toyota/Lexus's are so trouble-free, one really doesn't visit the dealer much. After ten years with my IS, it's pretty much just been oil changes, brakes, and a few recalls covered under warranty.
Lexus dealers are a big draw to the brand and not to be skipped over.
This is off topic, but my Lexus dealer's service department is certainly not "award winning". And those free car washes do more harm than good. I received a nice hood scratch after my first visit.

Luckily, I don't have to go to them anymore. Reliability has been outstanding!
Old 07-25-18, 05:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
This is off topic, but my Lexus dealer's service department is certainly not "award winning". And those free car washes do more harm than good. I received a nice hood scratch after my first visit.

Luckily, I don't have to go to them anymore. Reliability has been outstanding!
The people are over the top polite. And I've never seen a place where service advisors have their own offices? One guy was holding hands with his pretty service advisor, I mean this is way over the top customer service (although one BMW dealer had these valets who walked you to your service advisors and it must have been uncomfortable for most based on their appearances and the way they dressed, sales tactic). But there is something very wrong with the prices, they imho exceed those of BMW and there is definitely an upsell with the "multi-point." And the every 5k services at least with a 2k6 are a joke, modern cars don't need a service every 5k. I think they make huge mistakes too like other makes, I was charged $59 for a brake flush at Lexus, when they told me $89 on the phone. My mom was quoted $149 for her Acura TSX, and even Midas told her $120. So how does Lexus only charge $59? That's the car business...
Old 07-25-18, 04:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
Accolades just keep coming for Lexus. J D Power seven years in a row at #1 in reliability, third least expensive to maintain behind it's cousins Toyota and Scion and this.

it is very similar to the surveys with parts suppliers, Lexus/Toyota always win as best to work with...
Old 07-26-18, 06:13 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 375 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430

Love it. It's the primary reason I have been loyal to Toyota products over the last 15 years. Multiple 4Runners, Sequoia, GX, 3 LS's, and LX. All of them except my current LS460 had well beyond 100k miles before we sold them with nothing but routine maintenance - with 2 of my LS's being traded at 250k miles running as well as the day I bought them. There's a lot to be said for knowing what to expect and having a consistent experience.
Old 07-26-18, 06:25 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Not to rain on the parade but I never knew you could take a Lexus to a Toyota dealer for service, so I tired. Awful. They truly did not know what they were doing and making it up. The specific job was the replacement of the lower control arm bushings on a LS430. They told me yes, they can install my parts, and it would be $1,000. I was like huh? Then the guy said if this were an Avalon, I said but whoa an Avalon is FWD, this car is RWD. Then he goes well on the Highlander, and when I said can I email you a diagram of what we are talking about? He said nah, I know what you're talking about hahahahaha Then I took it for a PA state inspection, and with a coupon, $76. BMW last Dec. got me for $40 with a loaner car (that was great, SA said dont' worry we'll take care of you). Just paid $57 at GMC, so $40 is a 18 yr. record from my experience...I guess it all depends. This Toyota dealer is huge and the 2 closest to my house, both big. The waiting area was huge and full--nowhere to even sit.

just remembered, handed the parts guy the fastener under the hood (same for Lexus/Toyota) he hands it back nah we don't have anything like that....c'mon dude look!

point is Lexus is outstanding and expensive, Toyota to me is like anywhere else...
Old 07-26-18, 06:58 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 375 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Not to rain on the parade but I never knew you could take a Lexus to a Toyota dealer for service, so I tired. Awful. They truly did not know what they were doing and making it up. The specific job was the replacement of the lower control arm bushings on a LS430. They told me yes, they can install my parts, and it would be $1,000. I was like huh? Then the guy said if this were an Avalon, I said but whoa an Avalon is FWD, this car is RWD. Then he goes well on the Highlander, and when I said can I email you a diagram of what we are talking about? He said nah, I know what you're talking about hahahahaha Then I took it for a PA state inspection, and with a coupon, $76. BMW last Dec. got me for $40 with a loaner car (that was great, SA said dont' worry we'll take care of you). Just paid $57 at GMC, so $40 is a 18 yr. record from my experience...I guess it all depends. This Toyota dealer is huge and the 2 closest to my house, both big. The waiting area was huge and full--nowhere to even sit.

just remembered, handed the parts guy the fastener under the hood (same for Lexus/Toyota) he hands it back nah we don't have anything like that....c'mon dude look!

point is Lexus is outstanding and expensive, Toyota to me is like anywhere else...
I've been taking my LS (previously a 430 and now a 460L) and our LX to a Toyota dealer for the last 4 years and about 130k combined miles across the vehicles. Great experience for me - my SA is a former Lexus SA from south FL and he has one tech who is a certified Lexus technician (Platinum level if I remember correctly). Probably saves me about 30-40% on service and they give me a rental car any time I want (Camry or 4Runner normally). I think it all just depends on the quality of the dealership and who you find as your advisor.

Also- your comments are really confusing-- you got a $1,000 quote and then your next sentence mentions a PA state inspection with a coupon for $76. How is this related to the control arm bill?